Laney LA30BL Opinions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by althekiller, Dec 4, 2018.

1. althekiller

althekiller Supporting Member

Anyone played one of the Laney LA30BL heads? I wanted one of the LA100BL amps but they only made 50. The 30 seems to be at pretty decent prices but I want to make sure it has the sound of the 100 or an old supergroup. I read that it's very clean and that worries me as I plan on cranking it and hitting it with a treble booster but want to know if it distorts when turned up like the 100 water does. I also want to know if it does that slight lower octave thing that the old Supergroups do. I played a vintage one once and have dreamed of that sound ever since. I know it's basically a plexi but something about the it was less compressed and thicker with a slight lower octave underneath notes when cranked.

The Supergreoup and LA100BL are dream amps for me and if I can get a 30 watt version that sounds true to the others and gives up the goods earlier it might qualify for my perfect amp.

Heinzi, LCW and Crowey like this.
  2. Heinzi

Heinzi Member

Yep - and I love it. Sounds pretty classic but it´s very open and pedalfriendly - not really comparable to Plexis becuase it has its own thing.
    I did a demo, where you can hear the amp with and without pedals - i really suggest trying Treble Boosters, but any pedal will work!

tdump, EmandoDave, LCW and 2 others like this.
  3. althekiller

I think I’d really like that amp. I have a lot of treble boosters. Including the TI Boost. I’m just trying to downsize from an Orange Thunderverb 200 full stack and the Laney and matching cab would be perfect. Sounds awesome in that video!

LCW and Heinzi like this.
  4. Nick79

Nick79 Member

Yes, it does everything that you mentioned. I find it's clean up to about 4 or 5 (depending on how hot your pickups are and which channel you use). I'm in a Black Sabbath covers band, and i run it on 7 with the TI boost, and it just nails that classic tone. It is very versatile though, pretty much every pedal i have tried it with so far has sounded great.
    It does that lower octave thing too. I've been lucky enough to compare mine to an original 100w Supergroup and while the 100w is louder obviously i was really pleasantly surprised at just how close they sound to each other. Laney must have put a hell of a lot of work into the LA30BL.
    I was in the same position as you, wanted an LA100BL but missed out, the LA30BL is what you want. It's really really loud though, the loudest 30w i've ever heard!
    I run mine through a 4x12 with with Eminence Governers, and its so loud i have to use an attenuater.
    It does break up to give you a really cool classic rock type crunch, very different sound to a Marshall though - Extremely thick, with lots of low end. Hit it with a boost when it's cranked though and it's heaven.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    LCW, Heinzi and althekiller like this.
  5. Heinzi

Heinzi Member

Totally agree but in some settings it reminded me of the old JTM45 Sound that Clapton has on the Mayall Records where the bass notes break up in this typical almost destroyed way.
    I also loved the sound with a Rangemaster Treblebooster in front of it, cause this one has really a lot of bass and its good to clean them up a bit.

Nick79, althekiller and LCW like this.
  6. LCW

LCW Supporting Member

Granted they are at different price points but how does an Origin 20 compare to an LA30BL, amp-only but also with pedals?

7. Nick79

Nick79 Member

Not sure really... The Origin 20 was one i did consider, especially as it's a fair bit cheaper but i went for the Laney as i wanted it for that specific sound. I'm sure a lot of the price difference comes down to the fact that the Laney is built in the UK while the Marshall is far eastern. As for components i don't know, but the LA30BL looks and feels very high quality.
    But what really matters is the sound, and for me the Laney nails it. And it sounds huge.. I gigged mine again last night and through a 4x12 it's just monstrous - My previous amp was a Mesa Mini rec, and that was nowhere near as powerfull and full sounding as the Laney. I know to take power ratings with a pinch of salt, but the difference is huge. You won't run out of power!

althekiller and LCW like this.
  8. EmandoDave

EmandoDave Member

I'm looking at a few things right now, and this is one of them. Wondering about a comp with the Lionheart 20 head. I know it is lesser watts. It is also with an fx loop and two channels. Otherwise looking at a range of Rivera options (new Clubster Royale Recording, used Rake Reverb, used Venus Duex Recording). Clearly I am not set on one approach to amps, but want a great clean channel and tend to prefer the two channels over one. I know with the Lionheart (and Riveras) I can get a good base clean sound. How does the LA30BL do for other than gain sounds?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  9. Nick79

Nick79 Member

The cleans are great. I was pleasantly surprised when i first turned mine on and used it. Very full sounding, and bold. As it's such a loud amp you can run it at 4 on the lower gain channel and it will stay clean but easily at gigging volume.

This vid sums it up, there is a slight bit of break up there but it will give you a good idea about how it sounds clean.

10. Gorgar

Gorgar Member

The 100 watt version is the best clean amp I've ever had, including Super Reverbs, a Twin, JC-120. Mine's modded slightly in that the cathode cap is disconnected for a bit less gain.

althekiller likes this.
  11. althekiller

For anyone who owns the LA30BL, about when on volume does it start to break up? I plan on using one of my many treble boosters with it when I get one but they don’t sound good unless an amp is cooking or at least on the verge of breaking up. I also use vintage voiced single coils. Mainly strats and gibsons with p90s. Mainly wondering how loud it has to be with a 60s style strat to get some break up. I don’t need a lot of gain from it just a nice light crunch that I can use my treble boosters to push it harder.

I’ll be using it with the matching 2x12 cab mostly or one of my old Orange 4x12 cabs

12. Heinzi

Heinzi Member

Depending on the Pickups I´d say between 3 and 4.
    For some examples in the video i used a LP with Häussel ´59 Piuckups and you can already hear i little crunch with volume at 3.

13. Nick79

Nick79 Member

Yeah i would agree with that. I've found bass input 1 makes it break up a little earlier. As to how loud it depends on cab and speaker choice, i'm using a 4x12 with Eminence speakers that are rated at 102db (if the ratings can be believed...) and at 3 its very loud.

14. MmcGrouty

MmcGrouty Member

I just got one, with the Iommi boost pedal. I’m not easily impressed, but damn this thing is awesome. Clean is great, just breaks my up is great, cranked to 10 is great, and the pedal is a perfect match. It’s got that classic British sound, but with girth. So far I love it.

15. Phloored

Phloored Member

what cab do you like best with it? What speakers?
    Is it that classic mid gain where you can use the guitar volume and tone to get your sounds? How does it compare to your other amps? Unique?

16. MmcGrouty

MmcGrouty Member

I’ve only played it through a v30 1x12 so far, my space is limited at the moment until my new studio is ready. I have a feeling that the 4x12 with greenbacks will be even better. It’s a nmv amp, so it’s loud when it’s breaking up, and you can definitely use the guitar’s volume knob to go from clean to crunch. Kick in the boost to go to classic metal tones. It doesn’t sound like any amps I’ve had before, and I’ve had many. It will be sticking around.

Phloored likes this.
  17. Phloored

Phloored Member

Thanks. Seems like a great value too. I have a Laney 2x12 lionheart cab with heritage g12H30 55htz. Going to start with that when I finally get LA30BL . we shall see in due time. This is on my radar.

Have you used the SD-1 with it?

18. althekiller

Necro bump I know, but two years later I finally ordered the LA30BL. Sold a bunch of pedals and was able to afford the La30 and matching cab. Should arrive tomorrow. Already have the TI Boost. I’ll be using a strat and probably running it together with a Vox AC30HW since I’m going for a mix of my two favorite guitarists tone wise. Iommi and Rory. Single coils, Treble booster, and Laney and Vox...can’t wait!! On paper it seems like my holy grail as far as guitar tones go if the Laney delivers as planned. Might have to add a p90 SG to the mix eventually.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    Zonk, Crowey and EmandoDave like this.
  19. Zonk

Zonk Member

You still stoked on this thing now that you've had it a while? I also suspect with a greenback 4x12 it would be a real barn burner.

20. MmcGrouty

MmcGrouty Member

Unfortunately I ended up selling it. I can’t say anything bad about it, and it’s very possible I’ll get one again. I may even try to get my hands on the 100 watt version.

Zonk likes this.