Laney LA30BL Opinions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by althekiller, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Nick79

Nick79 Member

I'm still loving mine. Use it lots of ways, gain low with pedals (sounds awesome), cranked and hit with a treble booster, amazing. I sometimes hook it up to a load box and then through my HX Stomp as an ir loader. Celestion have ir's of the Laney 2x12 and 4x12 cabs, which sound great.

althekiller and Zonk like this.
  2. althekiller

althekiller Supporting Member

Finally got it. After one getting lost in shipping and one other that had it listed but didn’t have it in stock. Took over a month from ordering but finally got the head and matching cab....Worth all the wait for sure. First thing I did when I got it was plug into the high bass input, turn every knob to 10 except bass was on 0, plugged in my Les Paul (don’t have an SG) and the TI Boost and let the Sabbath riffs flow! Unbelievable sounding amp.

Plugged my strat in next, turned the presence down to halfway and got even closer to my ears to that first Sabbath record than with my humbucker equipped Les Paul.

After doing the obligatory Sabbath thing I dialed it back on the volume to around 6 and ran it in combination with my HW AC30 on the normal channel with the master defeated and the TI Boost still on using my Strat and I’m more satisfied with my tone than I have been since I first plugged into a nice amp 12 years ago during the beginning of my playing.

The low octave or “ghosting” is a real thing on the Laney I thought it was bs when I watched the video on TPS demoing it but on certain notes there is this amazing lower harmonic thing happening that I’ve never heard before in an amp. The openness and rawness of the Laney and the compression of the AC30 together is a glorious thing and for the first time in a long time I feel like I have a somewhat sound of my own. Been writing and playing things the last couple days that don’t sound like re-hashed versions of the music I listen to.

now I just need a couple of nice attenuators since I won’t be able to play at these volumes all the time playing out or gigging. For now though, in quarantine, I’m fortunate enough to live where I can crank theses things without upset neighbors.

Pics soon if anyone cares.

Zonk and Nick79 like this.
  3. Nick79

Nick79 Member

Glad you are enjoying it dude, its one hell of an amp! I'm tempted to get the matching cab, i've got a decent 4x12 but i wouldnt mind hearing through Greenbacks (plus it looks cool)

For attenuators i've used the Jet City one in the past, worked ok, but not i use a Fryette Powerstation and its awesome, plus it gives you an effects loop if you are that way inclined.

althekiller likes this.
  4. MmcGrouty

MmcGrouty Member

I’m missing mine already, that cab looks awesome.. I loved those “ghost” notes you mentioned, my AC30BM did that too, cool sound. If only I could keep everything..

althekiller likes this.
  5. althekiller

althekiller Supporting Member

The Fryette PS is my ideal. I wouldn’t use all the features most likely though. Well some day I probably would but it’s a bit more than I want to spend any time soon.

Been checking out the SPL Reducer for something a little more affordable. Read great things about it for being a passive attenuator. Plus it works with 4, 8, and 16 ohms and up to 200 watts if I read correctly.

6. Zonk

Zonk Member

The clips I've heard of the LA30 sound strong, Laney seems to have done s good job getting an authentic Supergroup sound and doing it at a reasonable cost.

7. Marco78

Marco78 Member

I play only in the house and now I use a Hiwatt DR 504 clone. How is it loud this amp? Is the volume pot usable? Or at 2 is already really loud?
    I don't understand why Laney don't add a MV on this amp....

8. mvsr990

mvsr990 Member

Bit late to the game but mine just arrived.

Jazzmaster into the low treble input, 2x12 with new Fanes, 1.5 on the gain dial is about the max I'd be comfortable with in my small office/music room.

(I have a Waza Tube Amp Expander coming to ease my pain.)

9. Marco78

Marco78 Member

Could you measured the DB in the room with an smartphone app? I use "fonometro".

10. mvsr990

mvsr990 Member

Meant to do that earlier - with Decibel X Pro, phone maybe 4.5 ft from the cabinet, an open chord with a heavy hand spikes to 90, single strings 85. It feels louder than it is because it's very trebly right now (Jazzmaster wide open, I haven't touched the knobs but presence @ 6 and treble @ 6, plus I find these Fanes quite bright, I plan to get some Scumbacks ordered this week).

Marco78 likes this.
  11. Ultra GP

Ultra GP Member

Interesting. Maybe that's further confirmation that something is wrong with mine. It has a nice clean sound, if not a bit dark. But it doesn't break up easily at all.

12. Marco78

Marco78 Member

I got it! It is about the same volume that I use when I play "loud" for my room. I think that the volume is too much for me. :)