Laney LC30 Speaker/Tube suggestions please.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by yannis, Jan 25, 2006.

1. yannis

yannis Member

Hi all,

I have been researching into this in the last few weeks, and i would be greatfull to get your recommendations. BTW congrats for the GREAT forum/members, its my 1st post.

I got a Laney LC30II amp (stock Celestion 70-80 speaker) , TAD valves.

It is a bit harsh and bright for me now (it always was, but as i progress i hear better...)

I was thinking of swapping valves/speaker to sort this out, and i got the following recommendations etc.

Speaker: Celestion G12H30 (UK Heritage),
    Celestion G12H Anniv.70 (same as above but MIC)
    Celestion G12 Vintage 30.

Basically the G12H30 solutions are meant to be super warm creamy and balanced, with the V30 beeing a more "cut through" solution.

1. Will a 30W speaker (G12H30) be ok in my 30W amp? A respectable UK speaker/valve dealer says "YES absolutely". Furthermore, if i could find Eminence in the UK i would have them in my options.

On valves:

I was thinking JJ ECC83S in order to reduce harshness/brightness, and i was told that HARMA ECC83STR are JJs but hand selected/tested. I d rather get JJs though rather than rebranded JJs.

On EL84, i was also told to replace the TAD EL84 with Harma EL84STR which have 22mm glass thickness, and that will reduce filament rattle/fizzyness on high poweramp volume settings (with hotplate ON -16db). Furthermore i was told that these Harma STR eL84 will last much longer than a JJ EL84 or a GT one. Having said that, from what i gather online, the TAD EL84 are considered rather good, and the harma ones wouldnt be something better if not different

Any recommendations would be more than wellcome on speakers and valves for the intended purpose.

The music i play: LedZep, GnR, ACDC, DeepPurple, Sabbath, Cream, Grand Funk Railroad, J.Tull, Tool, and a bit of Metallica. But the main bias is Page/Slash/Young/Iommi.

Finally apart from the LC30II, i got a Tokai LS85Q, and for pedals: Fulltone Soulbender, HBE Big-D, Morley PWA2.

Yannis

2. bickertfan

bickertfan Member

I had a LC 50 that I swapped speaker and tubes with. I tried a Weber ceramic blue and a Celestion V30. I also had various JJ and EH tubes. To be honest I found very little benefit making those upgrades on that amp (unlike the HC reviews). For me the amp had a good clean sound but was tight and did not sound that good in a band setting, and still sounded that way after a lot of tinkering. I even tried El 34's in place of the 6L6's. In the end I AB'd it with my buddies JCM 900 and after all that tinkering his stock amp sounded noticeably better (distorted). As always your mileage may vary , but my lesson from that experience is if the amp is'nt doing it than for me it is best to move on and find one that does. Good luck

3. yannis

yannis Member

Hmm, i ve tried the LC50 as well in the past, and although similar to the LC30 it sounded too different. Anyhow thank you for the heads up mate,

thing is, that in the UK, for reasonable money, the Laneys are the best bet, since Marshall combos are no-no (i tried my LC30 vs DSL401, Peavey C30...). Cornford is too much $$$ unfortunately.

Anyhow, i was just wondering if any Laney folks could chime in, and make some suggestions.

Thanks again.
    Yannis

PS. If the laney is the wrong tool for the music i play, then what would be a good solution?

4. bickertfan

bickertfan Member

Yannis,

I ended up buying a used Marshall jubilee series. It cost me a couple hundred dollars more (used) than the Laney LC50 Mk2 (new). Just mentioning this because of the type of music you play. The other consideration is the cost to mod the amp which may be hard to recoup if you end up selling. Also it's been 5 tears since I sold the Laney and bought the Jubilee and I am still satisfied with it. The Laney's are cool - I did take a LC 30 to a rehearsal BTW. Anyway that was my experience and your may be different. Best - Don

5. yannis

yannis Member

Fair points Don,

I really appreciate the answer, my only grip is that i mostly play at home with a hotplate, beeing a tenant, lacking a car, etc etc. i had and still have to, opt for new stuff from local shops, otherwise i would have investigated into JCM800 or Plexi.

Having said that, i am told that JCM800 and Plexis are seriously loud and not that suitable for home use even with a hotplate.

Anyhow if i was in the States i would look into a Mesa F30 or an RG88 or Flexi or somethings, but in Europe... an F30 costs 2000$ so...

6. yannis

yannis Member

Ok, down the road i will consider a good EL34 type amp for sure. Bear in mind the LC30 is my 1st tube amp, and comparatively it smoked the DSL401 , especially with respect to build quality/construction etc. imho of course.

I just want some suggestions for improving the current LC30II with respect to speakers/valves in order to approach the ballpark i initially described. :)

JJ? Celestion? Eminence? Weber?

Thanks again guys i appreciate.

I totally understand the EL34 route, but for the time beeing i want to make the most out of my EL84 amp and keep it for EL84 purposes even in the future.

Yannis

7. dbx

dbx Member

wassup my brother! Glad you made it over here...I told you these guys knew their stuff..having access problems with IM right now but good luck with your search...talk soon...(watch your wallet around here ;) ...major GAS inducers these guys..)

:cool:

8. yannis

yannis Member

Hey DBX all good man, thank!

John , i will look into the G12H30 , but i think it will be blown by the amp in case i gig.

Any Eminence alternative? It seems that the only celestions that will fit my amp powerwise are the CL80 and the V30.

9. Jeztastic

Jeztastic Member

I'm thinking of getting an LC30, and I may well change the speaker too. May I ask, what did you pay for it?

I don't understand why you insist you'll blow the G12H30 - it's rated at 30w like the amp. Even if you play with it all on 10 - and it sounds like you won't - you'll be fine!

Try weber speakers www.webervst.com they are in the US, but ship to the UK. With the exchange rate, the extra tax and shipping should add up the same as a new Celestion here.

10. calibre2001

calibre2001 Member

Your amp sounds pretty bright, middy and brittle at the moment yeah? I suspect its the cab.

IMO, the type of cab plays a bigger role than the speaker. So changing speaker wouldn't change things in a big way. I think Laneys are fine, in fact I use an older version. Its a bigger sized combo than the LC30. Having said that, I once hooked up mine to a 4X12 sized 212 cab with Celestions and there it was, the Laney sounded like a completely different animal. So what about getting a decent 212 cab instead?

I didnt get the cab in the end, but changed the stock speaker to a Celestion GS1275. Cleans are really nice now but it doesn't remove the boxiness of a 112 combo. Sounds slightly different though.

11. wixedmords

wixedmords Member

Hey Yannis, long see no time. I used to talk to you on the Marshall Amp forum, and HC. I haven't posted at either for many many moons. ;)

One thing to remember, you have to keep that Laney on a fine line of crispness. If you go to too bassy or flubby a speaker, that amp will get muddy. I went to a V30 and didn't like it. I had it set in my mind that I wanted a "British sound". Open up your ears a bit, if you will, and imagine what a crisp speaker would sound like, one a bit smoother, one that wouldn't make the top end spikey.

This may lead you to a bit more "American" sounding speaker. If you think this through, you may come to the same conclusion. The fuzz in British sounding speakers may not cut it in this Laney. You may want something that is clear, not too dark, and has a softer sounding top end.

Swallow that for a bit. Just to get you thinking. :)

12. BTO

BTO Member

I know they are different animals, but I put a couple of Groove Tube Mullard RI's, an old RCA Blackplate and an Emi Private Jack in my Laney VC30 and I like the results.

13. wixedmords

wixedmords Member

You aren't far of BTO, the VC has less gain than the LC. That extra gain and the wrong speaker/tube combination can lead to the "fizziness" that you hear some people complain about.

The Private Jack should be a pretty darn good speaker in the VC.

14. ari

ari Member

I own a Laney LC-50MkII as well, and did try LC-30 (MkI) in the process. I believe the only difference between the I and II are the cab and face plate. The II series has bigger, deeper cab with better low end response. In my LC-50 MkII, I have Electro-Harmonix 12AX7EH in v1 spot, JJ ECC83S in the other preamp tube slots, and JJ 6L6GC in the power amp. LC-50 and LC-30 are indeed quite different sounding, though.

The JJ preamp indeed seems to be darker than others, though I didn't compare many. I missed the sparkle in the clean tone, so I put EH in v1.

My speaker is Reverend All-Tone. They are no longer made but you should still be able to find it once in a while. 50W. It's more of an American sounding speaker but it can also do smooth British overdrive. I tried Eminence Tonker (too fizzy on the top when distorted) and Swamp Thang (too bassy). Swamp Thang may be a good fit for LC-30, however, as EL84 tubes don't put out as much low end.

YMMV. Good luck!

ari