Laney Lionheart (5 watt, UK) vs. '68 Custom Deluxe/Princeton

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gswearengin, May 8, 2016.

1. Gswearengin

Gswearengin Member

Hey y'all,

I'm looking for a new amp to be used at home at bedroom volumes. I generally play clean and use pedals for gain, and also use lots of modulation pedals and delay. I honestly think I've decided to go for a lionheart, but I'm looking for emotional support from you guys. :)

What speaks for the lionheart is that I could get a UK made one here for about €500...half the price of the Fenders. It seems like a very good sounding and versatile amp...the clean channel is a bit Fender/Vox-ish, and the gain channel is Vox/Marshall-ish. It's also the lowest wattage amp I'm considering, so I think it's likely to perform better at reasonable bedroom levels.

What speaks against it is that I mostly play clean and I tend to gravitate toward Fender stuff. I really like the '68 CDR, but in addition to the price difference I'm worried about finding a non-noisy one and that it's too loud.

I played a MIC lionheart and a CDR next to each other a couple days ago, but I didn't have much time. I knew I would love the deluxe, but I was surprised by the Laney's clean tone. I honestly didn't hear a whole world of difference...the Fender was probably warmer, but the Laney had a nice "punch" to it.

My influences are all over the map, and I pretty much (try to) play just about everything except metal and jazz. My favorite guitar players are Johnny Marr and David Gilmour. I usually play Fenders with single coils.

What do you guys think, could the lionheart meet my needs while also offering me something a little different from what I'm used to, or do I need to reconsider? I'm not really looking for suggestions for different amps, but any and all input is appreciated.

Thanks!

Gary

2. Serenity

Serenity Member

I love my Lionheart, it's great at home volume but can get really loud for a 5 watter. The cleans are really good, though i tend to stay mostly on the dirt channel. Takes pedals really well. Just be aware that the effects loop is parallel on the UK version and series on the MIC.

3. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

5 watts is plenty for home.....