Laney Pro Bass

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by scottlr, Jan 15, 2008.

1. scottlr

scottlr Member

What can anyone tell me about this bass amp head? I acquired one in a trade, and I think I'd like to sell it, but I know nothing about it at all.

2. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Do you mean a 150W or 300W amp with a Trace Elliot-style control layout - two main knobs for gain and volume, big graphic EQ in the middle, lots of switches (can't remember what they all do...)?

I've seen a few of them, but never for repair other than minor stuff like jacks. They seem solid enough and quite good sounding - not as bold as a Trace but not a bad substitute on a budget.

I have no idea of the value, sorry... probably not high.

3. scottlr

scottlr Member

I think it is only 100 watts, but yes, LOTS of switches and EQ and stuff. I think I saw one on ebay for $250. It was just gravy in a trade deal I did, so I am not all that fussed what I might get for it, but I need to plug it in and check it out. I was told it worked, but I haven't done anything with it. It needs cleaning, and it's missing a few white tips from the EQ sliders.

What I don't know at all is if anybody will even care to buy it. As a guitar player, I am not at all versed on bass amps. I'd guess maybe a youngster just starting out?

4. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Yes, it would be ideal - it's a lot of amp (functionally) for the money, and seems to be one of Laney's more reliable models.

5. scottlr

scottlr Member

6. vkennedy

vkennedy Member

I've got one, a combo model with a 15" speaker. Ive had it about 6 years. It's a good, neutral-sounding amp. Not the best sounding bass amp I ever had (that would be a G-K with 2-15" EVs), but it's solid and pretty ruggedly built, except for those white plastic slider tips that keep breaking off.