Laney Pro Tube Lead 50 opinions sought

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Jeff Hitman, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Jeff Hitman

Jeff Hitman Supporting Member

I'm looking for a 50W Marshall-type amp under $500 for smallish gigs where I need MV. I use a custom made 50W Plexi type amp now without MV with a 2x12 or 4x12 and I just can't get it loud enough to sing at some gigs so I'm looking for a cheap alternative that will sound close using MV.

My main guitar is an ES-330 with P90's and Bigsby. I like a good raw sound without stupid gain.

The earlier version Laney Pro Tube Lead 50's look good on paper and I've read some reviews where people claim they are a good alternative to a JCM800. Is that the case?

Just wanted to elicit some fresh opinions.
    Thanks,
    -Jeff

2. Igneous

Igneous Supporting Member

Ive got an AOR pro 100 built in '87. Changed the caps and of course fully loaded with NOS. This amp is LOUD. I wasnt happy with my jcm900(not enough gain) and my tech recommended I sell it and buy a laney for less than half the cost.

Whats cool is that the prices on these things never go up. Comparable to a modded 800. Tonnes of gain. Tonnes of volume. :AOK

3. Igneous

oh yeah- If you cant find a 50, you can certainly pull two el's from the power section. I do however find that this does affect tone a skosh.

cheers-Ig

4. Igneous

and... If gain isnt your thing, they have two knobs for that. Find your sweet spot. Good ac/dc tones and even a little brown sounding to me.

5. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Can't help with the old Laneys, but have you thought about an attenuator?...maybe a few clicks back on an Airbrake/Hot Plate/Mass might get you where you need to be?
    Greg

6. Jeff Hitman

Good point, but I've flirted with those in the past and just never fell for them.

7. Jeff Hitman

Thanks, that's my plan. Hopefully it will work out.
    -J

8. Jeff Hitman

OK - just got a line on one locally, picking it up this afternoon... fingers crossed...
    -J

9. cap'n'crunch

cap'n'crunch Member

Cool! Keep us posted.

10. Jeff Hitman

Got the Pro Lead 50 this afternoon, took it over to the rehearsal spot and checked it out. Let it warm up for a while then plugged in and after some tweaking to figure out the controls I managed to get a VERY good Plexi sound out of it without too much hair. There's PLENTY of buzzy hair in there in reserve, but that's not what I wanted. I get a GREAT sound out of it using the MV on 10 or 11 oclock and pre-amp 2 on 1 or 2 oclock. I'm still trying to figure a couple things out...

After the eq this one is labeled:

Master Volume - Pre-amp 1 Level - Pre-amp 2 Volume - Pre-amp 1 Volume

Only the Pre-Amp 1 Volume knob pulls out to kick in the AOR section.

Best sound I got was plugging into the hi sensitivity input with the controls set as above. Any comments? Suggestions?

Also - is this fixed bias? Can I just drop in a new set of matched tubes and roll or do I need to bring it to a tech for bias adjustment?

Thanks!
    -J

11. BigFoot

BigFoot Member

Reviving this one.....any thoughts on the AOR now that you have had it a while. I just had one shipped to me that needs some work. At the moment, I know that the pull out knob that kicks in the AOR section is not functioning. Could be other things too, but don't know yet.

Do you have any new comments, settings, etc. that you could share now?

12. CJW

CJW Member

I used to play out of two 50 watters. If you have an early one with metal corners instead of plastic ones, they tend to sound a little warmer. They put a couple extra op-amps in the later models, but they still sounded good. Never had any reliability issues with mine although I did by a "bullet proof" kit from Torres for both of them. That may or may not have helped.
    I would run all the tone controls full up and all the boosts pulled out. Anything on the master volume past 12:00 and the tone got a little mushy, but I rarely needed that much volume. Can't remember exactly where I set the other volume controls but I beleive they were all between 11:00 and 3:00 with the "pull boost" out. I used single coil strats and some hot rails (this was back in the late 80's). I used no pedals except maybe a EQ and a noise gate through the effects loop. Later I ditched the EQ and kept the gate. These amps were quite noisy due to the cascading gain preamp. The amp had plenty of gain and cleaned up exceptionally well when the volume was rolled off. Retained some nice highs. More so than ALOT of other amps I have played.
    I used GT preamp tubes and GT EL34's with a rating of 5. Later I swiched to Tesla power tubes and liked them. Still am good friends with the guy who has my metal corner head.
    I retired them and then sold them when I got my Dual Rectifier, but I was never very happy with that amp although I enjoyed the flexibility it gave over the Laney. To me the Laney just sounded livelier and more open.
    I liked them and used them on stage and recordings for many years. Still cheap finds and good deals. If you can find a 2-12 combo, those also have reverb. Hope this helps.

13. CJW

CJW Member

I forgot, you can adjust the bias. I set it every time I changed tubes. Easy to do.

14. BigFoot

BigFoot Member

Do you remember where you set the bias?

15. telecopter

telecopter Member

I used one for a couple of years...one of the best distortion tones that I ever had in an amp.:RoCkIn

16. Junebug

Junebug Member

I've got 2 AOR Pro-Tube Lead 100's that are '87s and you can't beat'em for HEAVY!

17. overdriven1

overdriven1 Guest

Yes, I'm a new laney aor 3012 but I can't seem to find info on whether they need biasing or not. Please some wonderful tech type person help us out.

18. burner

burner Member

We used several AOR 100 watters years ago and they were pretty danged reliable if you ask me...especially for the amount of abuse they took.
    Also, they sound good....basically like a JCM 800 with added features.
    Sound is subjective of course, but we played hard metal and some hard rock on them and were very content to use them side by side with our hi-tech rack systems and our Marshalls.

The prices on these used amps is relatively low but I'm sure that'll change when people realize the cpcpbilities of these amps and also with the multitude of amp tinkerers out there looking for an inexpensive platform to work with.

19. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

Some people seem to know about em some don't. I'm selling a 30 watt version now, and it's definitely as described. The buzz saw thing I don't know.. maybe the second version, which like the JCM's went with additional non tube elements to increase distortion in the signal path. The series 1's are great amps.. HIGHLY underrated.

20. ?&!

?&! Member

I've had a boner for AORs since I saw Austin metal band The Sword using them. They are a killer sleeper. There is one on Portland Craigslist for $375 right now, and I wish I really needed one!!!