Laney TT20 tube suggestions

Wildwind

I’m looking to max out the “clean” headroom of my Laney TT20, a recent acquisition. I have no idea as to the state of the existing tubes. I will use pedals (or my HD500) for overdrive and FX. I don’t need it to get real loud; I just want it to stay clean as long as possible.

Tube setup is two EL84s and three ECC83s. I’m looking for Fender-ish cleans (yeah, I know it’s a British amp – it’s not far from that now, reminds me a Deluxe). I’m mainly a Strat & Tele player.

Any tube suggestions? I’m assuming the power tubes are shot, but would also like to go for lower-gain preamp tubes. I don’t know one tube from another, but I know many of you speak tube fluently and I desire to hear your wisdom.

Any other changes you might suggest? It has the stock speaker, an H&H (?) Invader, made in England. Suggestions to upgrade or improve? There is no rating noted on the speaker.

Thanks!

Greg

Mudder

Two ways that are easiest are tubes and speaker. I would start by trading out at least V1 to a 12au7, 12ay7, or 5751. They are interchangeable and offer varying levels of output to the preamp.

Next you could look for a speaker that doesn't break up as early.

Wildwind

Which is the cleanest of those? And I am pretty sure the power tubes need changing - recommendation there?

Thanks!

Mudder

I think the 12ay7 is the cleanest of the 3, though it's feasible to drop down to a 12av7, but I've never done so. For el84 I like either EI or TAD, but there are lots of good options. Personally I would go to DougsTubes.com and send them an email for suggestions. Their customer service has always been great for me.

Wildwind

I already heard back from Doug, Mudder - amazing response at any time, let alone a national holiday. He made some great recommendations, will probably follow his advice exactly. Thanks again - Greg

Mudder

Great. Doug and, I think, Matt are both very quick to help out. I hope those tubes work out for you.

Trending Topics