Laney VC 15 Reverb upgrade questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by telbert twang, Feb 18, 2009.

1. telbert twang

telbert twang Member

Hi to the community , my first post here!

I have question about the reverb unit of Laney VC 15-110 . I very much love this small amp , but the reverb is a little "spongy" , so i am looking for opportunities to upgrade it , to get it more to the Fender territory .

Has anybody ever done/thought to do the same (replacing the reverb with a better one) ?

Does anybody know, what type reverb unit is used in the VC15 ?
    (i have read about "type 4" being used in L5T, but no info about the VC 15´s reverb, and the Laney service from their website seems the last place from where to get answers, they have never answered my questions)

(here is the wiring diagram if somebody wiser would bother to interest in my question : http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s237/Bluesbar12/VC15small.jpg

and here is a possible place to buy one in EU )

Any suggestions/comments are welcome

Best Regards,
    Telbert

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  2. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

I think the most common reverb mod in most amps is to simply replace the tank.

3. telbert twang

telbert twang Member

Just some information:

meanwhile i have found out that Laney VC 15 uses 8BB2C1B version of a type 8:

http://www.tdpri.com/telephoto/data/500/medium/Laney_VC_15_Reverb_multi.JPG

http://www.tdpri.com/telephoto/data/500/IMGP9276.JPG

Type 8 is short tank, 9.25" , and VC15 cabinet cannot house the regular long tank version, 17" (as are the type 4 or 9) - the cab is 1/2" short :) . But there is a possibility to upgrade it with 1 second longer decay time type 8 (2.75-4 instead of 1.75-3), this version is 8BB3C1B

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  4. telbert twang

telbert twang Member

... And done that by now ( Accu 8BB3C1B instead of the original 8BB2C1B ) - improvement is even bigger than i dared to hope. Reverb is now much longer and less spongy . Recommend highly

5. telbert twang

telbert twang Member

A small update :

Although the reverb now sounds a lot longer and fuller, it still does not sound right to my ears. It sounds kind of too warm - the mids will prevalate overall too much. I want to get it sounding more wet-kind, fendery splash. I know that the short type-8 is not performance wise a long tank type-4, but still believe that there must be a way to set up/ change it´s overall tone by making changes in it´s circuit ( caps, resistors...) Anyone wise to help me out locating the key-components in the circuit ?

Thanks in advance for any comments ,
    Telbert

6. EdMan57

EdMan57 Member

Interesting topic.At least to me,as I scored one just a few short months ago.Btw,my LC15-110 is the latest version with the master tone control,adjustable fx loop and Celestion G10N-40 speaker.

Ed

7. telbert twang

telbert twang Member

Can the overall tone of reverb be changed by changing values of certain cap(s)/resistor(s) in reverb circuit ?

8. EdMan57

EdMan57 Member

I believe so,though I'm by no means an amp tech.Btw,can you get a schematic for the LC15?

Ed

9. telbert twang

telbert twang Member

EdMan,
    I have a pretty nice LC15(R) WD , I can send it to your e-mail if you are interested (found it by googling, though) .

But is there anyone willing to help me on showing the possibly tone-influenting key-components of VC15 reverb´s circuit ? :huh

10. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

I changed the tank on an LH50R to a three spring, but I never could get it as wet or as rich sounding as in my LC50, which technically is the identical amp in a combo version.

You might try emailing Roger for technical info or parts, at: Roger@laney.co.uk

11. telbert twang

telbert twang Member

Thanks for the tip, I wrote him.

12. telbert twang

telbert twang Member

Well, no answering - 100% the same scenario as with all my previous technical questions. Very bad web customer service to my experience.

13. candid_x

Possibly because you're asking about a modification rather than about a stock part. He's always gotten back to me within 48 hours or so.

You might consider that inside the little LC15 there's not much room for a larger sized tank.

Jfwiw, a Mr Springy reverb pedal works well with Laneys.

14. telbert twang

telbert twang Member

The currently installed 8BB3C1B is the best tank model from Accu short tanks line (confirmation about it from Accutronics themselves, Cal Suett) . It has the potential to sound superb (it is primarily used in some Riveras, like Pubster and chubster). So, 8BB3C1B´s reverb is awesome (specially for a short tank) , but somehow it´s voicing is limited by the circuit of VC15 - it sounds too ´boomy´. ´oily´, too warm, in VC15 ... There must be a ´bad value tone cap´ somwhere. That is, what i am trying to locate.

I wasnt asking Laney about modification, but rather the explanation of the original WD reverb circuit (which component does what)

My amp is VC, not LC . They both of course house the short ( type-8 ) tanks, but actually the LC reverb sounds ´right´ to my ears, comparing to the VC (other than that, VC 15 is different class amp from LC, at least to my ears) . The problem is not in the duration of the reverb of the 8BB3C1B in my VC15, but in the overall voicing tone.

I dont like pedals , the only "pedal" for me is a footswitch to on/off the reverb (and possibility to change the channel, if applicable)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  15. candid_x

Understood.

Not a pedal guy either but I got Springy for my GH50L.

My LC50 reverb sounds great, even though it's not tube driven. I never could get my LH50R reverb up to the LC's, even with the identical tank and the identical circuit, even identical tubes and bias. Weird.

Good luck getting your VC happenin' for you.

16. telbert twang

telbert twang Member

Isnt there a place somewhere in existance from where I could download the better detailed VC15 WD ? :-(

17. alvaespa

alvaespa Member

I have the 2008 versión of the laney vc15-110 and there's no reverb tank in the amp.

Really weird.....

18. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

ah jist found out that from 2008 onwards LANEY have been using digital reverb AAaaaarrrghhhhhhh in their VC 15s

i bought one last month and have been scratching my head too

good amp though and reverb sounds great although i'd rather have the spring,time they updated the bloody manual methinks........

19. Stevie Mac

Stevie Mac Member

Hey man, just bought this amp second hand, stumbled on your question trying to find out if it had a real spring tank in it. Well i got my answer but you don't seem to be having the same luck.

Had a look a the schematic and it seems the spring is powered by a TL072 op-amp at one end, and half a TL072 at the other. C10 & C15 are in the feed back loop of this so will effect tone, also the op-amp itself will have variations in the level at witch it amplifies different frequencies, and also will have it's own sound so you could look at changing that to see if it makes a difference.

Finally, C1 & C17 are rite in the signal path of the reverb so definitely would be worth having a look at them too. Hope this helps.