Laney VC15-110

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by odd, Sep 11, 2010.

1. odd

odd Member

Experiences?

2. Mindcrime

Mindcrime Supporting Member

Good luck on that one...

Not alot love for Laney OR Boogie on the Gear Page. But you sure will find a TON of them HIGH DOLLAR boutique amps ranging from 2K to 4K for sale or trade almost every day...go figure:hide2

3. odd

odd Member

Well, surely someone here knows about it...

4. Sikor

Sikor Member

Yes, I have one since a few years.
    Very nice, little amp.
    Considering used price it's a really great buy :aok

5. Unabender

Unabender Member

Here's what I wrote some time ago in a different thread:

I owned VC-15 for six months, and it did have problems with input jacks. The construction of these amps is not very good and Laney certainly did cut a lot of corners, IMHO. It did sound pretty good for the money, though. With a treble booster it sounded actually very good. But I would not recommend nor would I trust one, if you plan gigging with it.

In addition VC-15 is fixed biased, which means changing the power tubes is not that easy as you have to (well, should) remove the chassis and rebias the amplifier. There's a trimmer for that but no marked bias points for measurement.

EDIT: Do note that 15 watts is VERY LOUD actually. The VC-15 sounded good only after I cranked it and then it was WAY too loud for an apartment. Currently I used a DIY 1 watt amp and even that is too loud.

6. Sikor

Sikor Member

Actually IMO VC15 is not that loud for 15W.
    In comparison to my Koch Studiotone, which is also 2xEL84, but 20W is much quieter.
    Clean with volume 1 on Koch = around 3 on Laney.

7. EdMan57

EdMan57 Member

One needs to know that there have been more than a couple of incarnations of the Laney LC15 1-10 combo over the last couple of decades.The earliest versions had H&H speakers,board mounted tubes,poor heat ventilation,no fx loop,no master tone and poor quality transformers.Later versions had Celestion Tube 10 speakers,a spring reverb option and a simple series fx loop.I currently have the latest version,the LC15-110.It features chassis mounted power tubes,improved heat ventilation,upgraded transformers,switchable series fx loop [bypass/line/instrument levels],spring reverb,8/16 ohm speaker out,bright switch,master tone control,increased preamp gain and a Celestion G10N-40 speaker.I've played through several of the older versions,and I feel that the latest version ['07-'10] is the best sounding and offers the most useful features.

Edit:I just noticed that this thread is about the VC15...please carry on.

:hide2

Ed