1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Laney VC30 - Sleeper/keeper??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jaywalker, May 28, 2008.

1. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

I've just cleaned out and re-valved my VC30s, and damn, they sound great with an OTT input level.
    i accidently left my last pedal (magicstomp) on at max and it drove the input valves into a really nice kind of breakup. Upon switching to the drive channel I suddenly had something like a high gain VOX sound and the reverb reacted like never before.

I've been using these for 8 years straight on an almost daily basis, and I've never driven them that hard before. Did a gig yesterday with the vol on 1 and it screamed.

2. go7

go7 Member

Laney VC-30, very underrated.

3. dotlikeimpact

dotlikeimpact Supporting Member

Also a tad unreliable. I love mine, but it always blows up.

4. dotlikeimpact

dotlikeimpact Supporting Member

Seriously, anyone know a tech that could up the reliabilty factor? I think mine might be my favorite amp, but it always has something wrong.

5. studiodunn

studiodunn Silver Supporting Member

6. doctord02

doctord02 Member

Mine is generally my go-to grab-n-go combo. Never had a problem with it. If you want a pleasant suprise, disconnect the combo speaker and plug it into a Marshall 4x12.

7. hitchcockblonde

hitchcockblonde Member

Seriously underappreciated and my fave amp. Love the chimey cleans, and it gets a lovely crunch either with or without the boost circuit. Loads of clean headroom. And a hard-to-define "nasty" quality. I'm typing this after today trying a Matchless Chieftain and a Mesa Blue Angel 410. Both great amps but... dammit, I'm keeping the Laney!

8. anibas

anibas Member

I love mine-it's a 2000 model,2X10" with 16 ohm Celestion Vintage 10's in place of the H&H speakers.Sounds great for clean stuff with a bit of dirt thrown in,or old school Marshall tones from the drive channel.The only problem I've had so far with it is the low input jack-unlike the hi input,it's a PCB mount jack,and apparently had a cold/intermittent solder joint before I corrected it.Common problem to this model from what I hear.Jaywalker,thanks for mentioning one of my favorite amps.

9. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

I tend to run mine at big rock gigs with 2 marshall boxes instead of the 2 x 10 extention cabs, you get two very diverse sounds (in stereo in my case) and sound guys love having to put 4 mikes on just my setup. The results are amazing though, total clarity and that clean headroom is just the biz. I have AC30s too but they just don't have that headroom.