Laney VC30 - Sleeper/keeper??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jaywalker, May 28, 2008.

1. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

I've just cleaned out and re-valved my VC30s, and damn, they sound great with an OTT input level.
    i accidently left my last pedal (magicstomp) on at max and it drove the input valves into a really nice kind of breakup. Upon switching to the drive channel I suddenly had something like a high gain VOX sound and the reverb reacted like never before.

I've been using these for 8 years straight on an almost daily basis, and I've never driven them that hard before. Did a gig yesterday with the vol on 1 and it screamed.

2. go7

go7 Member

Laney VC-30, very underrated.

3. dotlikeimpact

dotlikeimpact Supporting Member

Also a tad unreliable. I love mine, but it always blows up.

4. dotlikeimpact

dotlikeimpact Supporting Member

Seriously, anyone know a tech that could up the reliabilty factor? I think mine might be my favorite amp, but it always has something wrong.

5. studiodunn

studiodunn Member

6. doctord02

doctord02 Member

Mine is generally my go-to grab-n-go combo. Never had a problem with it. If you want a pleasant suprise, disconnect the combo speaker and plug it into a Marshall 4x12.

7. hitchcockblonde

hitchcockblonde Member

Seriously underappreciated and my fave amp. Love the chimey cleans, and it gets a lovely crunch either with or without the boost circuit. Loads of clean headroom. And a hard-to-define "nasty" quality. I'm typing this after today trying a Matchless Chieftain and a Mesa Blue Angel 410. Both great amps but... dammit, I'm keeping the Laney!

8. anibas

anibas Member

I love mine-it's a 2000 model,2X10" with 16 ohm Celestion Vintage 10's in place of the H&H speakers.Sounds great for clean stuff with a bit of dirt thrown in,or old school Marshall tones from the drive channel.The only problem I've had so far with it is the low input jack-unlike the hi input,it's a PCB mount jack,and apparently had a cold/intermittent solder joint before I corrected it.Common problem to this model from what I hear.Jaywalker,thanks for mentioning one of my favorite amps.

9. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

I tend to run mine at big rock gigs with 2 marshall boxes instead of the 2 x 10 extention cabs, you get two very diverse sounds (in stereo in my case) and sound guys love having to put 4 mikes on just my setup. The results are amazing though, total clarity and that clean headroom is just the biz. I have AC30s too but they just don't have that headroom.