Laney VC30 speaker upgrade

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by highwaystar30, Apr 18, 2016.

1. highwaystar30

highwaystar30 Member

Hi there people, I am intending to upgrade the speaker in my VC30 112, which has this HH speaker presently. I am considering couple of points, you can help with my thinking.
    I believe at this time Laney VC30 comes with this 80 watts Celestion 70/80. I think keeping those pristine cleans in the clean channel require that the wattage of the speaker be quite a bit higher than the amp itself. So I eliminated Celestion g12h30 anniversary.
    I tend to like AC/DCish overdrive tones. So I thought a Creamback Celestion might do good (specifically thinking g12m65). But I don't want to darken the amp and I don't want to spoil its characteristically chimy cleans.
    Another interesting option is the neodymium based 'NEO' speakers which can lighten up the amp a bit. The Celestion Neo creamback stands out for me. I would like to know if the NEOs sound as good as their conventional counterparts, and if and how they differ soundwise.
    Finally a concern is volume: the new speaker better sound good at low volumes as this is for home practice for now.
    Thanks a lot everyone interested.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  2. WhoJamFan

WhoJamFan Supporting Member

I changed out the stock 70/80 Celestion on my Ampeg GVT52-12 for a WGS ET-90 and the results were very good. The clean sounds improved with bigger-not boomy-tighter bass that holds together when dimed. ET-90 mids are very smooth and don't "spike" out anywhere, and the highs are articulate, sweet, and never ice picky or shrill. It's a very balanced speaker that really lets the amp shine rather than heavily color it.
    Dirty, it really opened up the clarity of the dirty channel, which can get really thick and middy quick. The speaker has given it a greater range of sweet spots and has made the amp much more versatile.
    Less dough than the Celestions, I really find this speaker compliments the sound of the amplifier, rather than just make certain frequencies dominate the overall sound you hear come out of the amp.
    Oh, and it sounds great at a late night whisper to everything on 11.

highwaystar30 likes this.
  3. highwaystar30

highwaystar30 Member

I forgot to mention I am somewhat limited in my options. I can get stuff from Thomann.de . Other than that we have most celestions here and maybe a couple of other brands and models.

4. WhoJamFan

Oh, than see about a Fane F-70 or F-90. I have an F-70 paired with an ET-90 and the two are very similar.
    I think WGS speakers have a european distributor now, so that could be worth looking into.

5. highwaystar30

highwaystar30 Member

I can get the WGS from ebay - maybe.... Fane F-70 90 would be easy....

6. WhoJamFan

I'd grab the Fane, plenty of Jangle in the cleans with a nice mid detail for the dirty. Keeps the amp definitely in the British flavor without being exaggerated in the mids like the Celestions can be.

7. highwaystar30

highwaystar30 Member

The F-70 90 you referred to, are they the best match for my VC30 you think, it being sort of a vintage voiced amp? I see there are a variety Fanes around.... thanks a lot for the assistance by the way...

8. WhoJamFan

"Best" is always subjective, of course, but I would be floored if a Fane F-70 or 90 would sound less than spectacular in that combo.
    Maybe take your amp into a shop that has a Fane loaded cabinet and plug it in. I'd actually recommend doing that with all the cabinets they have to see what the different speakers sound like.
    Sure, speakers sound a little different in other enclosures, but you'd definitely get a fair grasp of how it would sound mounted in yours.

9. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Member

The HH speaker is awfully close to the output tubes isn't it?
    I have no first hand experience with G12 Neo Creamback, but I have a VC15 that I play through a G12H Anniversary powered 1x12 and that's a perfect match
    The Neo is said to sit between the G12M and G12H sound and response wise, so maybe the best of both worlds, and it will give more clearance to the output tubes (like the Seventy 80 does in newer VC30-112.
    Good luck :)

10. highwaystar30

highwaystar30 Member

Thanks for the input. I don't think this is the HH invader people usually complain about - I bought this new and very recently. It is close to the tubes but I can't tell if it is awfully so :) I considered G12H anniversary but I think they put higher power speakers in general in VC30s, and I would like to preserve the basic character of the amp (VC30 has these pristine cleans, I think VC15 breaks up rather early).
    I am leaning toward Fane F-70 ... and Creamback M65 or Creamback Neo is still an option... I wonder if those Neos do good job at low volumes...

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  11. highwaystar30

highwaystar30 Member

I just listened to a demo WGS Et-90 and it blew me away (et-65 is nice too but not as good as the 90 for me). I didn't hear many Fane F-70 demos but from what I hear on the Fane site WGS seems to be a warmer sounding speaker - there is something that feels more sterile in Fane. But this can be simply online prejudice. If you really think Fane is as good, and my impression is wrong, I can go for it. I found them similar in other respects. I found a WGS et-65 in my country by the way, but et-95 is not accessable to me. Thanks for your interest.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  12. WhoJamFan

It's a tossup between the WGS Et-90 and the Fane F-70. They are very similarly voiced, the Fane has a little more presence and the WGS has a slightly smoother midrange and a silkier top to the Fanes detailed jangle to kerrang depending how hard you hit it
    The ET-90 has a little bigger-but balanced-low end that stays solid at high volumes to where the mids on the F-70 seem to blossom prominently the harder you hit it.
    These differences are small and very subjective, being both speakers sound very similar, but each goes a slightly different direction the more power you put through them. The two of them together work great together, covering a greater combined range of "sweet settings" through the volume range of the amplifier.
    I've since got another Fane, a Medusa 150, and have that paired with the Fane F-70, and have both WGS ET-90s in another 2x12 and they both sound similar.
    I'd really like to get a Fane F-90 to see where it sits with the others. I would speculate it would have a similar bass response and tightness the ET-90 has, so if that's what you're after, I'd look into Fanes F-90. I would think the F-90 would be better for snappier palm muting at cranked volumes, but again, just speculation.
    Hope this helps.

13. highwaystar30

highwaystar30 Member

Thanks a lot for the detailed answer... probably those characteristics you mention - Fane's higher presence, WGSs smoother midrange/silkier top, and possibly the bigger bottom also, makes the Wgs sound warmer to me. But it is simply unavailable - unless I get it from ebay and pay much more for the shipment and customs tax than the actual price of the speaker. The VC30 is already a bright amp so I think the WGS would do a better job to warm up the sound a bit. F-90 has apparently a bigger and tighter bottom end, and a punchier tone than the F70, but I feel safer going F70 when I consider this is a vintage voiced amp after all. So the choice for me is between WGS et-65 and F-70 since these are what is available. I tend to think et-65 is actually a good match for the Laney VC30, but I think it is more of a blues speaker than the et-90, which can better cover the range of genres I am interested in. But I still hold et-65 as an option. Any comments on that speaker will be particularly appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  14. highwaystar30

highwaystar30 Member

Well I think we came to the toss up point, as it seems I will be able to get the et-90 through some European stores. There is little chance I will be able to decide on the basis of a toss up, so I will ask you: which one would you pick if you could pick only one? If you really need to do a toss up for that, I will go for Fane because I feel comfortable buying from thomann.de . If you have a better feeling for one of these speakers I will go for that one. Thanks a lot for bearing with me.

15. highwaystar30

highwaystar30 Member

People I need some technical assistance. I got specs from Laney which says the present speaker is 16 ohms. There is a switch at the back that switches between 4 and 8 ohms for both internal speaker and ext cab... I can't make sense...

16. tenchijin2

tenchijin2 Supporting Member

The internal speaker will have the ohm rating listed on it somewhere. Just order that ohm speaker again and install it. Don't mess with the switch.

Page 15 of the manual here https://www.laney.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/6e5d65fafa037bb79a8cc5080ce11fa6.pdf states that the 112 comes with an 8 ohm speaker. That would make sense. The 212 comes with 2 16ohm speakers, probably wired to make an 8ohm load.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  17. highwaystar30

highwaystar30 Member

Yes I suspected something like this might be... strange that people at Laney sent me another amps speaker ohms... thanks

18. highwaystar30

highwaystar30 Member

But ill check the speaker itself because mine is not the celestion indicated in that manual its an HH... I just don't like getting inside the amp before it is absolutely necessary bu i'll have to it seems

19. tenchijin2

tenchijin2 Supporting Member

Laney probably was confused thinking you had the 212. I would guess it's more common. As far as speaker impedance, most of them are displayed on the back of the speaker bell cover where you can easily see it. Regardless, that 8-4 ohm switch tells you something important! You want to put an 8ohm speaker in the amp and set the switch to 8 ohms.

(I have a VC30 212 so I am pretty familiar with that switch :) )

20. highwaystar30

highwaystar30 Member

yes it is already set at 8 ohms actually. Yep I read almost everything about VC30 on the forum so I know you got one :)