Laney VH100R + 1960a, new speaker suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by ManBearKitten, May 31, 2015.

1. ManBearKitten

ManBearKitten Member

Hey all,
    As the title states, my main amp is a Laney VH100R running through a Marshall 1960a cab, with V30s and G12T-75s in a X pattern.
    Absolutely -slays- for hard rock/classic rock/tight metal, but I feel like it's lacking a bit of warmth and character when I'm running my fuzzes through it up loud, or when I'm playing cleaner, funkier stuff.

The speakers I've had my eye on so far were the Eminence Swamp Thang and Cannabis Rex.

I have a pair of C-Rexs in my Twin and love the smokey, subdued (but not at all muddy) highs they get, but wasn't sure that their 50w handling would be okay with my 100w amp (which I never run past 3-4 on the volume anyway). Also, would they pair at all well with either of the speakers I currently have?
    I think tonally the V30 and C-Rex would go well but I'm worried that the V30 would still drown it out.

I've heard the Swamp Thang pairs well with the V30, as it's much louder so the V30 just kind of adds some high-end cut, but isn't quite as noticeable as it would be with a similar efficiency speaker (like the G12T). Just not sure how these handle fuzz/gain (ie if they'd get too bottom-end heavy and just turn to mud)

Using a plethora of fuzz pedals, a Gibson Explorer Pro and SG Custom (both in C Standard) and I'm the only guitarist in the band, so the speakers would need to handle their bass well (and really tight, not too boomy), have present but not harsh mids and ideally fairly tame highs.

Any advice or other suggestions would be awesome. If I can just replace two speakers, that'd be ideal but I'm open to selling all 4 and starting fresh/selling the cabinet and buying a different one.
    I can't go and try out any of these speakers as I'm in Australia and my state has 1 Eminence dealer, but they don't have stock set up to try (they can just order things in).

Thanks!

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  2. pdf64

pdf64 Member

Consider disconnecting the V30s and trying your 4x12 with just the G12T75s running (amp impedance setting will need amending).
    They should have a nice warm tone, though the cab will lose a bit of the bass thump with 2 of the speakers just sat there.
    Bear in mind that the cab won't be as efficient with only 2 speakers working, which will be exacerbated by it being V30s that have been lost.
    Depending on how loud you need to play and whether power tube overdrive suits your tone, that may be a good or bad thing.
    If you like it, 2nd hand G12T75 tend to be available and fairly cheap, should you wish to load the cab with them

In a 4x12, each speaker will only get 1/4 of the amp's power, so a 50W speaker type will be fine (assuming all speakers are the same impedance and it's correctly wired).
    The cab's power rating is about 4 x the lowest rated speaker in there.

3. ManBearKitten

ManBearKitten Member

I originally had all G12T-75s in there but sold two to get V30s, which was perfect for most styles, but now that I'm starting to play a bit sludgier, fuzz-drenched stuff it's not quite sounding right. I've messed around with amp EQ and my 10-band EQ and it sounds good at bedroom levels, but up loud there's just certain characteristics that aren't pleasant to me.
    Thanks for the info :)

4. pdf64

pdf64 Member

5. ManBearKitten

ManBearKitten Member

Ah I should've mentioned the ones in my Twin are 8ohm, everything in the cab is 16. Ran my head (has multiple ohm outputs so it's fine) through the Twin cab and liked the sound, just not sure if they'd pair better with the G12Ts, the V30s, or something else (or if there's something else that I could get that would get me to where I want to be sound wise cheaper)

But otherwise, like I said, I can't try them out anywhere/buy them and return them so whatever I buy is more or less a $300 gamble.. That's why I'm hoping to hear from people who might have tried some and can give me some solid opinions.