LANGNER DCP-1 Preamp (Ex ADA)

SwissPicks

After ... 28 years of wondering about these, I finally scored a Langner DCP-1, created by Todd Langner who worked for ADA and helped design the MP-1 & MP-2 Preamps. And I'm here to tell ya.. it far exceeded my expectations !! Only 60ish of these made in the early 90's for recording artists, this all tube (5 12ax7's) is a gain monster with crystal cleans this side of a vintage Blackface Fender.. I'm no longer looking for a Bogner Fish. :) In minty condition with no ear rash. Hope y'all dig it. Any Todd Langner fans here??
IMG_4726.jpg
IMG_4729.jpg

littleb

Silver Supporting Member
Those are killer.ive always been interested in those.I own almost all the big boy preamps but not this one.
Iirc,and don't quote me,I may be wrong on this but i recall talking to somebody that had 2 of them.They told me there's 2 different versions, with one being more desirable than the other.Wish I knew more.

T Wilcox

,I may be wrong on this but i recall talking to somebody that had 2 of them.They told me there's 2 different versions, with one being more desirable than the other.Wish I knew more.
Todd Langner had 2 modifications he added later at the owners request. 1. The Elite mod (which OP's appears to have) is a mod that bypasses 1 of the 5 gain stages. It is a mod to reduce gain
2. Hyper mod ,essentially a variable bright cap that adds sizzle and tightens channel 2 (OP's does not have hyper mod)

Todd Langner was a genius..RIP

SwissPicks

Those are killer.ive always been interested in those.I own almost all the big boy preamps but not this one.
Iirc,and don't quote me,I may be wrong on this but i recall talking to somebody that had 2 of them.They told me there's 2 different versions, with one being more desirable than the other.Wish I knew more.
This one is the Elite.

SwissPicks

Todd Langner had 2 modifications he added later at the owners request. 1. The Elite mod (which OP's appears to have) is a mod that bypasses 1 of the 5 gain stages. It is a mod to reduce gain
2. Hyper mod ,essentially a variable bright cap that adds sizzle and tightens channel 2 (OP's does not have hyper mod)

Todd Langner was a genius..RIP
This one is the Elite.

T Wilcox

This one is the Elite.
Right! There are 2 knobs on the back and it was modded. There is one of the later units that is silkscreened "Elite" on the faceplate that I know of but most were destroyed when his shop flooded I've heard.
Congratulations on becoming the owner of a bad ass preamp. Good to see a Langner thread here at TGP.
By far my favorite high gain preamp in existence, would love to get my hands on TEQ-1 and Brutus

Todd

Attachments

• page_3_langner.jpg
    page_3_langner.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 56
  • page_1_langner.jpg
    page_1_langner.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 58

SwissPicks

Right! There are 2 knobs on the back and it was modded. There is one of the later units that is silkscreened "Elite" on the faceplate that I know of but most were destroyed when his shop flooded I've heard.
Congratulations on becoming the owner of a bad ass preamp. Good to see a Langner thread here at TGP.
By far my favorite high gain preamp in existence, would love to get my hands on TEQ-1 and Brutus

Todd
Yeah, once I heard it, I can't see living without it and haven't been this impressed with a rack preamp and I've owned most of em.. I set the gain on 4 and a half and it's Raging saturation. :) The date on the transformer is 12/93.

MikeyT

Silver Supporting Member

Todd
There was a Brutus for sale in S. CA last year. It was not clear if it was functioning so I hesitated.... and then it was gone. Not letting another one slip away.

The DCP-1 is an awesome preamp. Congrats to the OP!

PS. T. Wilcox makes a great DCP-2 ;)

T Wilcox

There was a Brutus for sale in S. CA last year. It was not clear if it was functioning so I hesitated.... and then it was gone. Not letting another one slip away.

The DCP-1 is an awesome preamp. Congrats to the OP!

PS. T. Wilcox makes a great DCP-2 ;)
Thanks Mike!

Last edited:

Hamer95USA

I've been to that address in Oakland when Todd was still alive in 1993. He was nice enough to build my first guitar rack for me and he did a minor tweak to my 1st ADA MP-1 preamp. I wished that I bought his 3TM mod back then, but had no idea of what it sounded like or ever seen one. Both ADA and Langner Amplification goes out of business. I come across a website called ADA Depot and found they sold their version of the 3TM mod circuit board that Todd designed and offered repairs on the MP-1 preamps. I ended up having my original MP-1 preamp modded with the "Ultra" 3TM mod tube circuit board & upgrades/repairs. Later on, I bought another 3TM modded MP-1 preamp from a local seller.

Guitar George

SwissPicks

O.P.: so how are you gonna run this bad boy? Ie: power amp and cabinet,direct,etc?
For now, I'm going to use the Velocity power amp, running into an 80's Marshall cab with Celestion G12H30'S (UK) i am curious as to what speakers Todd voiced these for.

T Wilcox

For now, I'm going to use the Velocity power amp, running into an 80's Marshall cab with Celestion G12H30'S (UK) i am curious as to what speakers Todd voiced these for.
The 4x12 in the pamphlets I posted, it states 50W Celestions. No clue what model though

T Wilcox

Here is a picture contribution of my two to the thread.

Thought you only had 1! I know one is a very early model with the tubes parallel to the board from early conversations we had. What about the other? Any mods done by Todd L? How do they compare tonally?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom