Langraff DO or Eternity?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 20forSeven, Oct 26, 2005.

1. 20forSeven

20forSeven Member

Are these pedals similar? What are their differences? What styles and sounds do each of them excell at and if you have played both which do you prefer?

2. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

Eternity.

Just because. I'm sure there will be lots of answers either way here. I just prefer the Eternity. I think it's one of the best overdrives ever built and it's cheaper than the Landgraff.

I'd say pretty much any application where you would want an overdrive, either of these can deliever.

3. The Gainster

The Gainster Member

I've played both....

Eternity all the way.

4. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

I've never played the Landgraff... but...

Eternity is my answer to any and all OD questions. That's why I have two.

5. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

I had both and kept the Landgraff.

Didn't like the treble boost on the Eternity (don't like diode clipping in general). Like the Landgraff controls a lot better.

Couldn't get the gain staging right on the Eternity if you crank it up to where it sounds good, it adds too much overall gain to the signal path.

I did some recording tests and thought the Landgraff sounded fatter and warmer than the Eternity.

I'm using humbuckers and a Class A EL84 amp.

John

6. WailinGuy

WailinGuy Member

The Landgraff uses diode clipping, unless you have the mini toggle set in the middle position. I know both pedals use the typical 8-pin dual op-amp chip. This is the first time I've heard anyone say that the Eternity uses clipping diodes. Can anybody confirm this?

7. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

I use my Landgraff in the middle position. :)

8. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

mmm.... eternity...

9. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

Just got my Eternity last night and I owned one of the Pedalman Pro 818 Landgraff pedals. They are both stellar pedals in my opinion. The Landy was a bit more wooly sounding in the mids (which I loved). The Eternity is pretty unique though . . . . I'll know more after the weekend and I get some gig time on it . . . . . if you can have both I'd recommend it.

10. drolling

drolling Member

John, did you get an extra chip with yours? I, too, didn't understand what the fuss was all about till I swapped opamps. Very dramatic personality change.

There was a time not too long ago when I'd never have considered putting out the kind of dough that a Landy goes for, but I'm acquiring a taste for these rarified hand-built overdrive pedals. They're taking my old single channel amps to places they've never been before.

11. James Knox

James Knox Member

Just got a Landgraff and have an eternity on the way! Can't wait to compare the two!

12. rubberbelly

rubberbelly Member

Please give us an update of the comparison bluzbraker. If would be great to have a detailed A/B comparison rundown.

13. jpagey

jpagey Member

Yup, had them both at the same time...sold my Landy and now I have 2 Eternities.

14. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

i'll have two Eternitys in a couple of weeks! Can't wait....:dude

15. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

I've owned both over the years - the Landgraff is one of a few pedals that I have owned more than once. I don't have either at the moment.

The Eternity is smoother and not as aggressively styled as the LDO. The Eternity can be used as a clean/clear boost or as a light to medium overdrive. It has only a very slight mid boost to it.

The LDO is closer to a tube screamer in what it does. The mids are pushed more than the Eternity but it definitely is NOT what I would class as a tube screamer pedal - it is much more than that. It adds volume and clarity to everything, it isn't really comparable to any other pedal in the way that it adds touch dynamics. The three position selector gives you more choices - when you get tired of one, switch to another - like getting a new pedal. The LDO is also better than the Eternity in the way it makes your sound stand out from the mix of others in a band.

Both are excellent top-flight quality pedals and the best at what they do. The Eternity is the smoothest boost pedal I have played, the LDO is the best pedal for adding touch sensitivity to your playing and is the perfect pedal for pushing your tone out of the mix.

I don't prefer one over the other - I would use them in different applications, they both excel in what they do. You choose.