• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

LANGUEDOC G2 going rate used?

jwall22

If you had an opportunity to buy a used Languedoc...what would be the going rate these days? Don't see any comps online except mike Gordons form years ago.

goose1441

Do you actually have the opportunity to buy one? Lucky you, if so. IIRC Mike's sold for ~$15k, which actually seemed like a pretty fair price considering the guitar and the association. If it were me, I'd hope to pay somewhere between that and the new price, which I believe is ~$12k. Of course even for $12k, it's not like you can just order one.

Realistically, the seller can pretty much name their price for these and someone will probably pay it. Even if he is still making them (anyone know if he is?), the volume is so low that even if he churned out a ton by his standards, it's not going to impact the used price much. If he's stopped, this is more or less a can't-miss opportunity.

Even if they want $15k, I can't imagine it being a bad investment if you can swing it. Phish is still going very strong, and the demand won't go away any time soon.

derekd

Gold Supporting Member
Do you actually have the opportunity to buy one? Lucky you, if so. IIRC Mike's sold for ~$15k, which actually seemed like a pretty fair price considering the guitar and the association. If it were me, I'd hope to pay somewhere between that and the new price, which I believe is ~$12k. Of course even for $12k, it's not like you can just order one.

Realistically, the seller can pretty much name their price for these and someone will probably pay it. Even if he is still making them (anyone know if he is?), the volume is so low that even if he churned out a ton by his standards, it's not going to impact the used price much. If he's stopped, this is more or less a can't-miss opportunity.

Even if they want $15k, I can't imagine it being a bad investment if you can swing it. Phish is still going very strong, and the demand won't go away any time soon.
Yeah, $12k + the risk of not getting on the list + the years of waiting even if you do get on the list.

That makes the asking price for a good used example pretty subjectively high, imo. You could probably get $20k for one all day long.

fretnot

Platinum Supporting Member
Is there any other guitar that has been priced like this because of one player? I can’t really think of any.

tsbot

Going rate now is $22000 for a G2 - so I'm guessing it would be at least that, even used. I assume most owners will have some wear showing from playing but they will be well cared for and are very rare. I watched Trey's new 2021 rig rundown and tried pausing when he showed his new 4.0 'doc. The serial inside is low 200's by my guess.

I don't think Trey playing one made them exorbitant, I think it's actually Paul's build process, attention to detail, actual design, quality, customer service etc. I email Paul and he responds to me within a day or so. He is top notch.

Cheddar Kung Pao

Is there any other guitar that has been priced like this because of one player? I can’t really think of any.
PRS Super Eagle. Jimmy Page signature LPs and custom shop Teles. Maybe those are different due to being limited runs that are no longer available, but for most people that's the effective state of the Languedocs.

bluejaybill

Silver Supporting Member
Going rate now is $22000 for a G2 - so I'm guessing it would be at least that, even used. I assume most owners will have some wear showing from playing but they will be well cared for and are very rare. I watched Trey's new 2021 rig rundown and tried pausing when he showed his new 4.0 'doc. The serial inside is low 200's by my guess.

I don't think Trey playing one made them exorbitant, I think it's actually Paul's build process, attention to detail, actual design, quality, customer service etc. I email Paul and he responds to me within a day or so. He is top notch.
All of that I'm sure is true, but I must take issue with your statement. The fact that Trey uses one is undoubtably the main reason they are so expensive. I would imagine that Paul got wind of what they were going for used, as well as the demand he has seen in his waiting list, and adjusted his price accordingly.

Just ask yourself what the demand would be like if Trey wasn't using them.

Again, no diss on him or the guitar, I would love to have one! And more power to him that he can get price that for his work.

There are only a few custom luthiers that can charge that much for their work, and they are mostly just a handful of arch top and a few flat top builders.

Chase Fuller

I’d place a second mortgage on my house and sell everything I own for a G2 or G3. Please don’t call my bluff.

aiq

Silver Supporting Member

mikeskuro

I’m looking forward to handing mine down to my daughter in about 45-55 years. Hopefully she appreciates it, things in life these days are not unique, special and mass produced. To part with it prior it would have to be a $hit ton of money or I’d have to be in a different financial place to part with mine.

Chase Fuller

Are you a Trey fan? ;-)

For anyone to suggest that these guitars would be anywhere close to the current price if Trey didn’t play them is kidding themselves.
I am! How can you tell?

We’ll never know how much a Doc would cost if Phish never happened. It’s fun to run counterfactuals, but it’s impossible to actually know. One reason why I still think they’d command the very high price tag is the amount of time he puts into each unit. I remember Trey saying that Paul spent Something 100+ hours hand sanding the top. That’s ridiculous. If that is even half true, you can begin to understand why they’re priced at that rate.

I think this gets us into the $10/$100/$1000 bottle of wine example. Is a $1000 bottle of wine 100 times better than the $10 bottle? Is a $100 bottle ten times better than a $10 bottle? A certain point the value becomes untethered from how we normally determine an item’s cost.

rollyfoster

Silver Supporting Member
Weird argument. He built that guitar specifically for Trey with Trey’s input.

If Trey/Phish didn’t make it out of the bar scene he probably wouldn’t have built another one. It’s a weird design and Trey is on record saying most people who pick it up are like “WTF is this” because of how easily it feeds back and gets out of control with any volume.

He only builds a few a year and knows how insane this fan base is so of course he can charge whatever the hell he wants to. 22k is comical, IMO.

But yeah, say Paul was just another builder without any sort of famous association and I think the price point would be in line with someone like Artinger or Crow Hill. They were originally 10k, anyways.

Last edited:

derekd

Gold Supporting Member
All of that I'm sure is true, but I must take issue with your statement. The fact that Trey uses one is undoubtably the main reason they are so expensive. I would imagine that Paul got wind of what they were going for used, as well as the demand he has seen in his waiting list, and adjusted his price accordingly.

Just ask yourself what the demand would be like if Trey wasn't using them.

Again, no diss on him or the guitar, I would love to have one! And more power to him that he can get price that for his work.

There are only a few custom luthiers that can charge that much for their work, and they are mostly just a handful of arch top and a few flat top builders.
Have you priced a Ribbecke or Manzer archtop?

What Paul charges is a down payment. Those are a bit bigger but still. I can think of well over a dozen archtop builders who charge more than Paul does. However, they are typically building for jazzers so a different market, a different world than Trey resides in.

Route234

Weird argument. He built that guitar specifically for Trey with Trey’s input.

If Trey/Phish didn’t make it out of the bar scene he probably wouldn’t have built another one. It’s a weird design and Trey is on record saying most people who pick it up are like “WTF is this” because of how easily it feeds back and gets out of control with any volume.

He only builds a few a year and knows how insane this fan base is so of course he can charge whatever the hell he wants to. 22k is comical, IMO.

But yeah, say Paul was just another builder without any sort of famous association and I think the price point would be in line with someone like Artinger or Crow Hill. They were originally 10k, anyways.
People pay it so its definitely not "comical" and you would be wiser from an investment standpoint to pay 22k for a Languedoc than 10k for others, who are amazing builders.

tsbot

Ya definitely not comical. Take a look at reverb and see how many production guitars are over $30,000 because they’re older and limited. Not a hand carved “one off” design. And I’m not taking fender starcaster copy body shape argument etc. I’m talking tolerances, thickness of wood, scalloping of braces, completely hollow with no block (“like a violin” as Trey once said). All done by hand and only 10 a year. I will say he’s done a great job building his mystique by his elusiveness of his “list” and only replying to those he accepts to build for and nobody knowing his decision making process. whereas other luthiers reply to most everyone and only have waitlists vs no contact at all.

I’ve played many custom guitars and honestly the Languedoc is a tank compared to the rest I got to try. It’s one of those believe it till you see it scenarios. Yes there are great guitars out there on par or some will say better - for sure personal preference.

whoismarykelly

Oh look! This is a thing I can change!
I remember Trey saying that Paul spent Something 100+ hours hand sanding the top. That’s ridiculous. If that is even half true, you can begin to understand why they’re priced at that rate.
I take this kind of stuff with a grain of salt - especially when it comes from someone that isn't a builder themselves. That amount of time would not be completely unreasonable for preparation of a top from billets to final finish prep. But it's definitely extreme for simply sanding.

The Funk

The likelihood of finding a used one is remote and the price would be enormous because if the rarity. When new ones were 15k, I saw a used one for 20k. The premium was basically because it was a guarantee. There is no guarantee you will ever get on the list at any price.

you are more likely to get a guitar likely that, for cheaper and sooner, by buying wood shop equipment and trying to make your own until you get it right. I’m not saying anyone can build an equivalent guitar the first time out. But you could build about 30 guitars faster and cheaper than you could get a languedoc, and by the time you built 30 of them, you might be pretty good at it!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom