Languedoc Guitars

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by yair2k, Aug 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yair2k

yair2k Member

2. 6thstringmusic

6thstringmusic Member

Hey thanks for the cool post!

3. JPERRYROCKS

JPERRYROCKS Member

Seems like you could throw in a case for 10 G's.

4. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

Another beautiful guitar that I'll never be able to afford :p

the list is growing day by day.

5. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

oh my god!

i did think it was gonna be that much!! looks like hes enjoying his sucess and popularity from his last job....

10g's.......ouch! 300 for the case....geeze!

200 for shipping...c'mon!

sweet none-the-less, but damn...these are doctor/laywer guitars...

6. Douglas Baines

Douglas Baines Member

Seeing Trey's Languedoc guitars were one of my biggest inspirations for going to lutherie school.

I'm glad to see him making his work available this way, and can't wait to hear the music made with them.

7. KarlH

KarlH Supporting Member

I'll pay 10K for a kick ass guitar... in fact, i have. However, IMO, I wouldnt pay 10K for that.

8. JPERRYROCKS

JPERRYROCKS Member

The L's do have quite a bit of craftsmanship and detail do them. When you consider than some people are paying nearly 5,000 for a bolt on boutique strat or tele copy, the price doesn't seem so crazy.

But you are no doubt paying for Trey's name association. If this guitar model wasn't played by him, the builder might be selling them for far less.

9. fretnot

fretnot Gold Supporting Member

Beautiful guitars...I like the extra 500 hundred for the case and shipping! Basically he says, "If you can afford the 10 g's, you can afford the extra 500 hundred." Get every penny you can, I guess.

I hope Trey continues to play his guitars...or potential buyers might have a hard time buying and selling them at that price. I would love to play one, though.

10. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

I'm not really seeing what's so great about them. I'd rather get a Private Stock PRS with my personalized specs on it than pay for a premade guitar. $500 is a joke to charge on top of 10k for what looks to be a pretty average guitar. I guess it's a "to each his own" sort of deal.

11. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Pricing on guitars is a very funny thing

12. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

Those guitars are too cheap for me to even consider.

13. JamonGrande

JamonGrande Supporting Member

Prices like that make me think of "Brewster's Millions": you only have 30 days to spend $30,000,000 on guitars....go!!!

Definitely not for everybody, but obviously important to a lot of folks. enough to go into periodic production. i know some old college friends who would buy it fast if possible...

joe

14. suttree

suttree Member

sign me up!! i can spend $30,000,000 on guitars in a day or two, and still have 29 days to sit on the beach pickin and grinnin:crazyguy

15. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

10K + case ... thanks for the early morning laugh. :D

16. PB Wilson

PB Wilson Member

Take a look at a modern, one-man shop that builds archtop guitars and then compare prices. Many builders charge in that price range. There's a lot of tricky mitering in the binding and carving plates isn't all that easy to do, even with pantograph router systems. The price of wood in thick plates is getting prohibitive as well.

Also, a number of luthiers raise their prices to keep waiting lists from growing too long. They get what the market will bear. Somogyi, Manzer, Monteleone, Laskin, Traugott, etc. do this. I'm not going to begrudge the man for making a living, a healthy one at that.

17. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I'm not one to buy a guitar as an investment, but I think these are a good bet. In 20 years when the Phish fans have made their millions and are in the midst of their midlife crises someone will be willing to pay a lot of money to have a guitar like Trey played.

Bryan

18. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

$300 for the case...ok, perhaps its form fitted, leather with silk interior. But $200 for shipping? I've shipped guitars from East Coast to West Coast, professionally packaged and insured for under $80...WTF?

19. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    Not sure why you guys care what he charges if you are not going to buy the guitar? Paul can charge whatever he wants you don't want to pay the price no big deal but why do you care what he charges?

Chuck

20. KarlH

KarlH Supporting Member

yea, but this guitar aint an "archtop" like a hopkins or anything. And if there are really so many phish fans waiting in line to get one of these guitars that this guy has to charge 10K a pop like somone like jeff traugott to keep the demand at bay, then, well, im not gonna try to understand it. Ill just know that the rest of the world is musically bankrupt and Ill hide in a compound somewhere in texas with a heavy supply of firearms and some mayall, clapton, peter green, rory, free, stones, zepplin, hendrix, beck, faces, etc, CDs. And trust me, there will be a showdown because I am NOT going to be coming out alive!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.