1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Lap steel players: what effects do you use?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nmiller, May 18, 2011.

1. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels Gold Supporting Member

I'm playing a lot of lap steel these days, and I'm looking to expand the range of sounds I can get out of it. I'm using my amp's reverb and occasionally a Mutron Phasor on a slow setting to get a watery effect. Any other suggestions?

2. Cosmogang

Cosmogang Member

Delay/reverb, octave effects, compressor, overdrive, ya know

A quick and easy setup: Diamond Compressor, Micro pog, a Tubescreamer, boss dd20, an EHX Deluxe Memory Man, and a Boss RV5.

You could get some sweet tones.

EDIT: Don't forget a quality volume pedal to go before your delay.

3. BrenReg

BrenReg Supporting Member

I just got a lap steel yesterday. I haven't had alot of time to mess around on it yet, but I plan on using a compressor, outboard reverb unit, and a BYOC superfuzz.

I need to pick up a volume pedal too. Any ideas on a cheap volume pedal? I know there are some high end ones that pedal steel player like, but I just need something simple.

4. AL30

AL30 Member

I've got a friend who just picked up a Digi-Tech EX-7 Expression Factory. There are some good sounds in that pedal. He also uses a chorus and a tubescreamer.

AL

5. AlanB

AlanB Gold Supporting Member

Besides delay, reverb, and various ODs, I use a tremelo and a wah, which really sounds great with lapsteel. Greg Leiscz on several of Bill Frisell's albums uses wah with a distorted lapsteel and it sounds huge.

AlanB

6. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Diamond compressor is really great for me-
    love reverb, a nice OD, like a FE Barbershop
    delay as well-
    Also, good tone bar should be found
    John pearse lap bars are really great- nice weight and sustain

Last edited: May 18, 2011