Laptop brands to avoid?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Laelaps, May 30, 2015.

1. Laelaps

Laelaps Member

I posted an earlier thread concerning my trying to eke out more life from an ancient laptop. No dice. The OS is no longer supported (XP) and I can't get anymore downloads without support/update. It's time to find another laptop.

My laptops are Dell (both suffer the same obsolescence) but I don't see many Dells for sale on Amazon, etc. Not a popular brand?

I don't do gaming or anything that taxes a computer. At most, I listen to Pandora while I work out. Other than that I just surf the net while I watch tv/movies.

Amazon has HP for $199 with Chrome OS. I'd kind of like to experiment with something other than Windows.

Any suggestions/warnings are appreciated.

thanx

Edited to add: I'm looking at laptops and dvd/cd drives don't seem to be popular anymore. I do have files in Works and Word format I need to access. ??

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  2. sundog964

sundog964 Supporting Member

I have had bad luck with HP products. I've installed over a hundred Dell laptops and they are very reliable. Also the lenovos seem to be good and reliable.

I'm just starting to get used to the windows 8 OS, but I'd recommend a touch screen if you go that route.

3. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

There's no real difference in loss leader lap tops with regards to quality or performance. If you're in the "it's nearly free" price range just pick whichever may seem like the best value at the time. Better ones are probably outside the price range if you're considering $200 ones.

4. bluwoodsman

bluwoodsman Member

Lenova has loaded software that presents a critical security risk. I'd avoid them entirely, as that is inexcusable even if they have cleaned up their machines (which they claim to have now.

jrjones and R3deemed like this.
  5. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

Lenovo would be the brand to avoid, IMHO. For one, they have malware pre-installed on some models (look it up) and my father-in-law has had nothing but trouble with his brand new Lenovo laptop, requiring 6 trips to replace battery after battery.

jrjones and R3deemed like this.
  6. eflatminor

eflatminor Member

Puget and Velocity Micro are well regarded. Made in the USA too.

7. eflatminor

eflatminor Member

I've also had bad experiences with Lenovos.

R3deemed likes this.
  8. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Get the cheapest Samsung you can find. Best Buy has Samsung Chromebooks starting at $200 and full blown laptops starting around $450 for refurbs.

9. jpmarsh

jpmarsh Member

I've had good luck with the higher end toshibas. Bad experience with Hp.

10. mrpinter

mrpinter Supporting Member

Laptops to avoid? All of them except Apple :)

11. Silver

Silver Member

... Interesting. Not long bought a new Lenovo, and the first thing I did was install Avast!, which did indeed flag a few things as nasties. Seen some stuff show up as malware that wasn't in the past and assumed it was a similar case... Went with it and 'moved to chest' anyway, expecting something to go wrong on next start up, but it never did. Will have to look into it further now.

A wizened old computer guy once told me laptops are a bit like lightbulbs, they could last years or if you're unlucky just go 'poof' in the blink of an eye. If you see stuff first hand before buying you can usually tell the quality stuff just by the general build and solidity. If you're not going for the low end cheapies, you can't go wrong with ASUS in my opinion/experience. My last laptop (an ASUS X53E) was on for 5 years solid (!), still ran great and only stopped working after it got knocked off a table, broke the power input and a bit of the screen went funny. I'm betting it could get a new socket/board and screen, and still work fine, if only I had the balls to take the thing apart and try to put it back together again.

12. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I'd look at the Surface. I can't believe I just said that... a few friends have them. They are marvelous.

13. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

I know that and you know that, but he wants cheap and $900 and up is not cheap for most people...

sixstringfuel likes this.
  14. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

and when you buy cheap, you will always be compromising something you don't want to, imho. always.

[​IMG]

jzgtrguy likes this.
  15. dconeill

dconeill Member

Dell is extremely popular, lots of businesses use them
    Same with HP, Lenovo, and others.
    Your best bet would be to look at the Consumer Reports, PC World, or PC Magazine websites - they always have ratings of computers at various price ranges.

Why do you want to experiment with something other than Windows? Based on your profile of what you do with your computer, I would think you want the most commodified computer you can get, so that you don't also acquire a hobby of trying to find software that will run on your computer. Remember, if you go outside the mainstream you also acquire the need to support your peculiar computer, which won't be as easy as with a Windows or Apple computer.

You're not going to get a whiz-bang ubermachine for low dollars, and it doesn't sound like you need one. Go to Best Buy or Staples and buy whichever one looks prettiest in your price range that meets your requirements. (You might have audio or video requirements given your cited uses.) Brand names are probably the best, and as mentioned before you can get a feeling for which brands last best from PC World or PC Magazine.

16. Hanglow

Hanglow Member

Look at the Dell factory outlet, the one in the uk at least has some excellent deals although they go very quick. Lenovo too

17. DanR

DanR Member

I bought my daughter a Lenovo with Windows 8 a couple of years ago. She's been a shut in for a while due to chronic illnesses and her laptop is constantly in use. We have had no problems with it. I bought a Dell about a year and a half ago and maxed out the RAM myself. I have had no problems with the Dell other than possible user error. It uses Windows 8, also.

18. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

At that price point why are you looking at laptops? If upgrading the OS is not an option (a reasonable assumption since you were still using XP) then get a tablet.

I am sure you can get a Samsung tablet for around $200 at Costco.

19. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

Good advice here, but I just want to point out that while Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc... Do sell machines to businesses, those laptops are not in the same category as the cheap consumer level offerings by those manufacturers. Business level hardware is more expensive for a reason... It is better.

20. BradKinder

BradKinder Member

I absolutely will not own anything HP ever again..I've never had so many hardware issues as I've had with their stuff....much better luck with dells, toshiba's, sony's and macs

Tommy Biggs likes this.