Laptop needs replacing...suggestions please...

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by teestone, Mar 15, 2015.

1. teestone

teestone Mostly Regular Member Silver Supporting Member

My trusty refurbished MacBook Pro from 2008 is finally starting to go...more hardware issues than software...not worth the repair.

I have an iMac I use strictly for music stuff so the laptop is really just for everyday surfing/shopping, TGP, bills, managing my extensive music collection, importing and burning cd's, the occasion movie, managing iPads and iPhones, general data storage, managing photos...essentially an everyday computer.

I'm an Apple fanboy for sure but I've had multiple PC's that served this purpose in the past.

Looking at the refurbished MacBooks, they can be had for sub $900 and would be more than sufficient for what I'm needing.

On the other hand...there are LOTS of inexpensive PC laptops for $200 on up.

Having been removed from PC's for the better part of 8 years, aside from work computers here and there, the overwhelming amount of brands out there is tough to wade through.

If I was to consider a PC laptop this time around, which would be some brands to check out and which should I stay away from?

Should I even be considering a PC over another Mac? I know what I'm getting with a Mac...not so sure with a more recent PC.

2. Cream

Cream Member

MacBook Air or be square.

3. pbmw

pbmw Member

It really depends on what your planned use is.
    I do a lot of Cad/Cam stuff. I need more processing power than the usual user.
    I use an i7 with a ton of memory.
    You may well get by with an i3
    What's your use?

4. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

:huh

As you'll be using the laptop for your online needs, I recommend sticking with Apple as the danger of malware will be decreased. You'll have fewer issues managing your iOS devices as well. Keep in mind that you'll need an external optical drive for CD/DVD reading and writing.

5. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

If you can, wait until the Windows 10 PC's hit the market later this year. That's what I'm waiting on to upgrade my desktop.

Two brands I used to recommend, HP and Lenovo, I don't think I can today.

Recent HP models have had a plethora of quality problems. I have an older HP laptop that I got about 6 years ago and it's still doing well but the ones we've gotten in at work have been real dogs.

Lenovo recently decided to prepackage Chinese spyware in their computers. That makes them a no-go for me even though they claim they stopped doing it.

What are you wanting from the laptop? There's a lot you can do with just an iPad or Windows tablet if you want portability with a little more screen real estate than you get with a phone. I'll probably eventually replace my laptop with a Windows tablet when it goes but right now I use my iPad for times when I don't want to lug around the laptop.

6. bluwoodsman

bluwoodsman Member

I hadn't hear of any issues with HP. Them and Dell are what we usually run with, I don't think either will have the longevity of an apple, but you can replace them twice as often for the same money. Costco usually has some killer deals on laptops in the 5-800 dollar range which are loaded up well, and their warranty comes free versus buying directly from HP or Dell or Best Buy etc. These days I would want one with windows 7 that is NOT a touchscreen if you have past experience with windows PC's.

7. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Just buy another refurbed MacBookPro and be happy for another 7 or 8 years...

8. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Member

I replaced my 2008 13" with a 2011 15". Loaded $950 on eBay. A little research n model history, a little patience. I also have a Lenovo Yoga tablet for taking notes in meetings,surfing the web occasionally. For the price I like it. Windows 8 apps are slim though and full Windows is clunky on a 10" screen. Also the neat keyboard thing is great, but the trackpad is infuriating after the multitouch on the Macbook.

9. Otto Tune

Otto Tune Member

Do you really want to experience the need to constantly upgrade anti-virus software and fight worms, trojans, and viruses?
    Endless security patches in IE?

I've had both, I'll never go back to Windows.

10. neoprimitive

neoprimitive Member

Toshiba, Lenovo, Asus all have some great laptops in the $500 to $800 price range. that is , if you're going to get a PC, otherwise macbook.
    I have a Toshiba P55t-A5116 with 16gb of patriot extreme low latency ram, it is a great machine andndpes everything I can throw at it. I also have a Lenovo U530 that is a really nice computer. Each one ran around $900, but they are worth every penny.

11. Ephi82

Ephi82 Member

Dont buy a DELL. I have been a loyal customer but they had very poorly designed hinges on the monitor screens and left all their customers hanging with multiple failures just post warranty. i actually had my hinges replaced year two of ownership (my cost over $300) and they failed again within 3 months.

They have lost a customer of 20 years and several computers because of their arrogance.

Good luck all at DELL.....you are surely on your way out of business

12. robbinsteele

robbinsteele Member

bought a hp dv-7 laptop new in 2010-4 years later,vid card went out-no pic-$440 to replace it-not when i can get another decent laptop $500-800..no more hp,went with acer

13. teestone

teestone Mostly Regular Member Silver Supporting Member

Looks like I'm going to need to do this quicker than I thought. Battery isn't really holding a charge now.

Still on the fence...

14. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Member

15. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

I've used Dell and Lenovo for many years, and I'd recommend Dell. I can't think of a single hardware failure with any of my Dell laptops over the years, and I travel a lot and use them pretty hard.

That said, I'd say with Macs if you can. The whole Windows thing is fraught with issues. I'd switch to Mac if I could but have too much invested in Windows systems.

16. mslugano

mslugano Supporting Member

My Dell crapped out again so I went looking. Wanted an inexpensive PC, small enough to fit into my backpack, with reasonable RAM and lots of hard drive space. Used for email, surfing, Office, etc.

So, yesterday I picked up a Toshiba Satellite L15W-B102. It's got 4GB RAM, 500GB hard drive, 11.6" screen, weighs about 2 pounds and I got it for $329 at Best Buy. The touch screen is really nice and it flips to make it a tablet or stand on a table top, it auto rotates and, when in tablet mode, it has a automatic virtual keyboard. Only potential issue is the battery gets about 5.5 hours vs. 10+ on some others. Not an issue for me because it's normally plugged in and I'd rather have the big hard drive than longer battery life.

My GF is a total Apple fan but she loves this new PC and is planning on buying one next time.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/toshiba...-drive-satin-gold/9161028.p?id=1219398155030&

17. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

FWIW, I have a 2011 Macbook that was starting to operate too slowly, so I switched out the hard drive for a SSD (solid state). The performance improvement was incredible, and swapping them was a piece of cake. Took less than five minutes after the hard drives were copied. If you get an older Macbook and install an SSD, you have a serious computing machine.

18. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Member

I have a 1TB hybrid drive in mine but I was going to install a new SSD for the system drive in place of the Superdrive (which I have yet to use). I guess the system drive needs to be in the location of the current drive and the storage in a caddy where the disc drive was. But the thing flys already so I haven't. I'd actually rather spend the money on an older more upgradeable MBPro than the much more difficult Retina models

19. bluwoodsman

bluwoodsman Member

Windows 7 isn't bad for issues if you keep up with updates and run firewall and AV. I don't know how much longer you will be able to get new machines with 7 though. Windows firewall is pretty good and available free AV software works pretty good. And don't know why anyone would use Windows explorer--we need to at work for some things, but they finally allowed other browsers recently. Had been having all kinds of issues with slow browsing and lock ups--until I switched to firefox. Night and day, right away. Better add blocking too.

All depends on how much you want to fiddle with things on occasion, and whether you have the knowledge to do so (or learn via the helpful net). Apples are more stable but you could buy two PC's for the price one apple of similar speed/memory/utility etc. I will say that it seems the acceleration of new tech has slowed to the point where you may not need to get a new machine to keep up as often--which is a point in favor of apple IMO.

20. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

Yeah, and you also have USB ports on the old ones :brick