Large diaphragm dynamic on guitar cab?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by amper, Feb 7, 2005.

1. amper

amper Member

Has anybody tried using a large diaphragm dynamic on a guitar cab? Specifically, I'd like to know what a Shure Beta 52A sounds like when used to mic a guitar cab, as opposed to using a 57. Also looking for experiences with other types, like maybe the new BLUE Ball or Kick Ball. I'll be picking up a 52 tonight, so I guess I'll find out soon enough, but I was just wondering what other might think...

2. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

The E-V RE20 and the Shure SM-7 sound good on guitar cabs. I haven't any experience with others.

3. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

I've used several on guitar cabs to good result - Studio Projects C3, BLUE Dragonfly, BLUE Baby Bottle. Just used the BB last week, very impressed with the sound.

--chiba

4. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I like the ball on guitar amps. It has a more gradual proximity effect so I find it a bit easier to dial in than a 57, which tends to be all or nothing. Aside from that, they don't sound too different. The ball might have a slight treble boost as it seems too have more attack than the 57.

5. Supertgtr

Supertgtr Member

re20 on guitar amps are great! very smooth.

I've tried kick drum mics on amps, with marginal results. Due to the radical eq curve on those mics in, they usually don't capture all the midrange information a regular dynamic mic would. Electric guitar is all about midrange.

Incidently, the SM7, SM57 and SM58 all have the same capsule in them. The electronics however, are quite different.

6. amper

amper Member

OK, bought the Beta 52A tonight, but I didn't get a chance to hook it up yet. Even if it doesn't work out for guitars, I'll be using it on a kick drum and bass cab.

7. Igneous

Igneous Member

Dude, I use this exclusively with my 57 on my cabs. Its such a great combo!!!

I think You will be fired up . Its darker and compliments the 57 perfectly. The spl is of course no problem because of the high level for kick drums.
    the only thing to watch out for, is, if you choose to use it for bass and kick(assuming you are) watch out for fighting Q's in the mix.
    A slight shelve or something. Other than that, its definitely one of my fav. mics. :dude :dude :dude

cheers-IG

PS-listen to the mp3's on my site. Done that way.

8. amper

amper Member

So, you're saying you use *both* the 57 and 52 on a single cab? How so?

9. Igneous

Igneous Member

I had a Mesa 4x12 with v30's in it and a 1960b w/gov'ners stacked on top.

Mic'd the mesa w/52 and the 1960b w/ the 57.

10. Bluzsteel

Bluzsteel Member