Large pedalboard with case for $35. Clever life hack or asking for trouble?

ozzynotwood

Instead of dropping heaps of money on a large pedaltrain with case....

Plank of wood, velcro, padded 49 key keyboard case. Total cost, $35.

The internal dimensions are fine, I'm guessing there is a bigger chance of damage and setting changes while in transit. I am super careful with my gear though.

Is this DIY solution a clever idea or is there something I'm missing?

rhoydotp

Clever idea if it suits your needs and especially your budget. Just know that no matter how careful you are, other people around you may not be :)

Rockerduck

I've built my own pedal boards before. I don't see why your design would not work. I've altered pedaltrain boards too.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
A keyboard bag would hold a very very big pedalboard.
I think a more manageable size is what would fit into a vintage samsonite hard side suitcase like you find at a garage sale for $2.

S. S. Bender

I've been using lightweight plywood or laminated pine panels covered in Velcro, and padded keyboard gig bags to transport them to gigs for many years. It's a fine way to go if you carry and load it yourself in your own vehicle. A 5/8" thick x 16" deep x 36" wide laminated pine panel from Menards covered in Velcro weighs about the same as a 16" x 32" Pedaltrain Classic Pro. They are both very lightweight when unloaded. Here's my homebrew 12" x 30" plywood board without its gig bag:

Last edited:

jm9239

Silver Supporting Member
I think weight is the only issue with homemade boards. I would look around Home Depot for something that will work but won't way a ton.
Blue-moon hit it on the head. Weight is the key issue with homemade boards that use wood vs something like a pedaltrain. You can look for lightweight wood, but even with that it can still get quite heavy after adding the pedals.

cram

Your questions can be answered for yourself by seeing all the DIY pedalboard threads. I've built one myself - several actually. I was able to spend the money elsewhere and had a fully functional and durable board. I came upon a hard case so I built to that dimension and made sure everything was tight. Yes, it's heavier, but not prohibitive.
If anyone ever gives me crap for my shop-class-creation, I usually engage the wah pedal and mock their critique with a seductively acted out "MEOW" back at them.

Oh, and some threads of use via site:www.thegearpage.net DIY pedalboard

Wolfboy1

Grandpa but...Not Yet Old!
Platinum Supporting Member
I will also add that weight is the Achilles heel of homemade pedal boards. I've built 5 or 6. When I finally built one big enough to be exactly what I wanted it was just to heavy when loaded. I took a third of it off eventually and it's still to heavy but I like it. If you build one if at all possible do not use a solid piece of plywood. Use strips of hardwood similar to a pedal train pattern. Much less weight. The foundation of my current one after I shrunk it

an early configuration:

Earlier and much better gigging board I made....similar in construction to pedal train. When smaller you can get by using strips of wood as not as much support is needed.

Actually decided to dig this board back out and set it back up with power underneath, ditto x2, Nova Delay replaced Nova Repeater and Pinnacle replacing CM-2 which remains on my large board. One of these days I will get the perfect setup. After 8-10 boards I've set up this one is the closest I've gotten to gigging perfection for me.

i made one to the same dimensions as the pedaltrain jr out of plywood planks at it barely weighed more than aluminum alloy.

i think you guys that are having problems with weight are using shelves. mdf is way heavier. usually even sissies know at least 1 guy that owns tools. ask him to help you, offer him a 6 pack of the cheapest beer whole foods sells. its his favorite brand.

Phase45child

I've always built DIY boards, it's the best thing in the world, building your own board from a scrap of old wood and having it look super cool at the end of the project.

I found my current board in a shed when I moved in to my new house last year. I had a plan drawn up of what my new board would look like, pedal placements and dimensions etc. So I was looking in the shed and I thought 'That wood could be a good size' - stone me if it wasn't within centimeters of what I needed.

I covered it in leatherette, added a shelf for cable routing and easier pedal access, stuck a metal kickplate to the front edge and now it looks and performs amazingly, plus it's the ideal size for my layout, no wasted space.

DIY is the funnest route, go for it!

S. F. Sorrow

The best part of building your own board is that you can change the size & build another because it's so inexpensive.
You're not restricted to the size of your pedalboard.
The as-is section of ikea is a pedalboard goldmine. Very nice laminates dirt cheap. I've built 4 boards out of a great looking 7 foot shelf that cost $5. Light pine not MDF.
Home Depot has an as-is lumber section too if you want to make a plank style. They have laminate planks too.
Agree with other members that you can use a thrift store suitcase. I've got a sweet '60s mod looking case for $5. Airline sturdy. Super strong lightweight plastic.

rcl

I make my own and change up a little too often. Current is made from clear stuff, 14x24. I use a keyboard case. Plop a little extra foam in the outer pocket for a little more protection.

Wolfboy1

Grandpa but...Not Yet Old!
Platinum Supporting Member
I hate threads like this....they give me all sorts of ideas and then I want to make a new board :)

I like the keyboard case, and lighter weight ideas. I really do enjoy making them but I get tired of making cables.

rcl

Bought this one about a year ago for about 50 bucks.
Gewa 271070 75 x 31 x 9 Centimeters Basic Keyboard Gig Bag

Trending Topics