Large Post Metric TOM Bridge Conversion Posts?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by djd100, Jul 12, 2008.

1. djd100

djd100 Member

Hi all...

I was wondering if anyone would know where to get conversion posts to use either Nashville or ABR bridges on a guitar that has the large post metric inserts installed?

If no, does anyone know the spec so I could make some?

Thanks...

2. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

Stew Mac used to carry conversion posts. I don't see them on the online catalog, but did see them in the past in their print catalogs. I thought about getting them a few years ago when I had a MIK Epiphone Riviera that I wanted to use a Gibson bridge on.

3. merkaba22

merkaba22 Member

Check out: C*V Guitars http://www.petergreenmod.com/parts/FaberRPL-110107.html -- they have a high quality ABR-’59 “No Wire” Vintage Spec Bridge with openings to fit on STEEL Vintage Style Bridge Studs/Thumbwheels that make an exceptional difference.

Also, Pigtail -- http://www.pigtailmusic.com/Products.php#IntonatableTailPiece -- Lightweight wireless ABR-style bridge with Pigtail logo can be mounted with posts made of the same alloy and heat-treat process they use with their 50's studs, along with the thin 50's style thumbwheels.

4. Bob V

Bob V Member

I have never seen conversion posts for metric to ABR-1, although there is once source out there for Nashville to ABR-1.

Good news is that Tone Pros makes a Nashville type bridge with lots of adjustment range on the saddles for intonation, and they offer them in import/large-post metric threads. I used on on my Epiphone Dot Deluxe Flametop and it dropped right on.

If you're trying to put on an honest-to-goodness ABR-1 bridge you might have a few problems/issues. The post spacing is just a little bit off between ABR-1 and Nashville (and I would guess your metric-post bridge has the more modern Nashville spacing). The ABR-1 bridges sometimes did not have enough travel in them to properly adjust the intonation (even if you flip the saddles around). The tone advantage that cork-sniffing vintage freaks will say about ABR-1 has to do with the thin threaded posts that go directly into the wood top - and if you have big metric thread nashville posts there you don't have that option unless you fill and drill, so the sonic Holy Grail of an ABR-1 just isn't available as an upgrade to import guitars (I'm not losing sleep over this part). ABR-1 bridges rattle with the little wire and the relatively loose saddles and they have been known to collapse over time and the radius flattens out (no secret which type of bridge I prefer). Sorry if you already knew all this, but my humble advice is to go with the Tone Pros - great products. Marquis Distributing will hook you up - send them an email with photos of your bridge and they won't let you buy the wrong one.

5. djd100

djd100 Member

Thanks everyone!

Yes, StewMac no longer carries their conversion posts.

Yes, no Metric Large Post to Nashville or ABR, just Nashville to ABR.

Yes, the Faber stuff is great stuff! I have their setup my 68 GT PAF Conversion (which had a brass Schaller at one time with Nashville Inserts and Posts).

For this import I'm going with the small post Gotoh, and turning down the Large Post Metric posts myself (as soon as the bridge arrives to be measured, friend has a lathe). The hole spacing is the same for the Large Post Metric Gotoh and the Small Post Gotoh, should be perfect!

One thing I've found out is there's a bit if variance in these various parts (StewMac specs aren't always correct for the various bridges and manufacturers, so I'll be measuring mine before I actually turn down and shorten the posts etc).

TonePros is expensive and I was hoping for more of a Gibson look (Nashville or ABR with smaller posts etc).

Thanks again everyone...