Larger dust caps for G12H-30's?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by rockon1, Jan 30, 2006.

1. rockon1

rockon1 Member

So a larger dust cap is known to diffuse high frequencies. E-mailed Weber speakers and they informed me they sell dust caps and yes they would help the high end smoothness. I figure what the heck its only a 85$ speaker-lets experiment. So I ordered some and im gonna give it a shot what do you guys think?........

2. bob-i

bob-i Member

When I was using JBL's in the 70's I'd put a 3-4" paper plate over the grill cloth to diffuse the harsh highs coming off the silver dome. It was a big help. I replaced the silver domes with paper later and still have one of these speakers, but the paper plate trick worked just fine. Paint it black and put it inside the grill cloth.

3. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Yeah Ive done that actually with paper plates! Funny ,I cut 4 inch circles painted them black and stapled them to the inside of the grillcloth. I liked the way it worked so well I got the actual beam blockers from Weber. Though they even out the sound they still dont actually remove the highs. In other words I was still having harshness with them installed at high volume. I read that larger dust caps help especially with high gain.I also noticed that the speakers I have that are harsh at high volume are ones with small caps-the G12H-30 and V-30. So then I came up with the experiment idea....

4. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

You need to be careful with your experiment, though. You have to cut the old dust cover off CAREFULLY, and within 1/16" of the cone, so be very careful with your razor or exacto knife, or you could slip and damage the cone, voice coil, etc.

As for the V30 with a large dust cap... that is going to add even more of a bassy tone to the speaker, sort of like the G12H-100 or the G12-80 (although it used the 1777 75 hz lead cone). The V30 has the 444 bass cone in it already, and you may just find that it's too "bassy" after putting in the large dust cap... my advice would be that you should do one first, the G12H-30, then try the V30 afterwards.

Let us know how it turns out!

5. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Thanks for the info! Im looking foward to the experiment. Ive always been a "hands on" kind of guy. Im not afraid to screw up a speaker-it was annoying me anyways! lol. I should rephase what I said earlier- the Weber Blockers worked fairly well and are a great product. They really make the speaker sound the same no matter where you are in relation to it.Its very cool. However the G12's are still brighter than Im after so hence the experiment.... They(Weber) were also very helpful hooking me up with the dust caps too. BTW-Ive GOT to try one of your large dust cap models one of these days too! Thanks Bob

6. rockon1

rockon1 Member

OK the new model is here. I call it the G12H-30LDC. Heres a pic. Im going to try it out now. My fingers are crossed......
    Ok I just got back from trying the new model. Initial results were disapointing as I a/b'd them -a regular G12 against my new G12H-30LDC model.I a/b'd them in identical PV 112E cabs. The Large cap model seemed more open and slightly BRIGHTER than than regular one. Then I realised I had a "Made in England" one in one of the cabs. It seemed darker/ smoother than my modded model.Hmmmmm..... I went and got my other (non modded)Chinese model G12H-30.Now the difference was apparent. The larger cap model was definately smoother than the non modded Chinese model G12H-30 which immediately hurt my ears at high volume. ......So-I learned the Chinese model sounded WAY different than the English model.Harsher ,brighter at high volume. I definately prefer the Chinese models with larger dust caps to non modded Chinese model.I wish I had 3 1/2 inch caps instead of 3 " but thats all weber had.
    Damn I hadnt even thought the Chinese model sounded SOOO different than the English model. I never a/b'd them.
    Conclusion so far....
    1) English made G12H-30 sounds way smoother than the Chinese model
    2) Larger dust caps help the Chinese models a lot-(I wish I had larger ones)

http://solisearch.net/ims/pic.php?u=11058XGCLB&i=266028

7. rockon1

rockon1 Member