Larrivee L05 Mahogany or L09 Rosewood? Help me choose!

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by hahn1985, Apr 24, 2008.

1. hahn1985

hahn1985 Member

please help me choose between Larrivee L05 Mahogany or L09 Rosewood...i'm about to buy either L05 or L09....
    what is the main differences between "mahogany" and "rosewood"?
    any suggestions, comments or thoughts would be helpful. thanks!

2. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

Wow..that is a great choice! Congrats...and welcome to the forum.

Each have their own unique voice/tone. I have a Larrivee L of each. The EIR will produce more overtones, the 'hog has a super sweet balance across the board. Generally speaking, the EIR will be louder/boomier than the 'hog. The 'hog just plain sounds sweet.

What will you be doing with it? Heavy strumming or fingerstyle? Where are you getting it at? Have you had a chance to play either?

3. hahn1985

hahn1985 Member

thank you and thank you!

mostly heavy strumming...not much of a fingerstyle player. i'm ordering online b/c there aren't a lot of larrivee dealers around here. my friend has the L09 so i've played it, but part of me doesn't want to get the same exact model. ya know? thanks for the quick reply btw!

4. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

Your choice of the L body is spot on. It will handle heavy strumming without breaking up like say an OM. The 1 3/4" nut is great for both strumming and fingerstyle...if you ever start that.

For pure strumming (only) I would choose the 'hog...unless you need to be loud (bluegrass loud). My L 'hog is an L-03MT-12 Custom. It sounds heavenly. I mainly use the L-03R for fingerstyle stuff....but it does well strummed.

Be sure to check with Dave a Guitar Adoptions. Also check with Jim at Trinity.....and Jason at Notable Guitars. You'll have to call to get the "best price"...Dave and Jim are luthiers and do excellent set ups......and I *think* Jason does too.

Good luck with whatever you choose...you really can't go wrong either way.

5. FFTT

FFTT Member

I purchased my P-10 Quilted Mahogany from Guitar Adoptions
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Fast friendly service.

If you can afford the 09 series for fit and finish, I'd go that route.
    Even so, the 05 series is still a great guitar for the money.

It's a toss up on Mahogany vs Rosewood.

Mahogany is mellower which can translate very well in recordings.
    Rosewood louder and deeper with excellent note definition.

I played many Larrivees looking for mine and each one truly has it's
    own personality.

One thing you may want to consider is how you'll use the guitar.

The drawback to owning a beautiful guitar is that you have to worry
    about leaving it laying around, scratches dents etc.

In some cases it's better to go for a less fancy beater so you don't have to worry so much.

Personally, I do not care for the big box cutout electronics in the Larrivees.

Since I purchase mine for mic'd recording, it wasn't an issue.

6. klaetos

klaetos Member

I would go the rosewood if I could afford it, there is a reason Rosewood is suppose to be one of the best guitar woods. As a note of caution, make sure that whoever you order from has a good return policy. I had a real bad experience in trying to buy a L03-RE online. When it was all said and done I had three mailed to me and I didn't keep any of them...two with major fret issues and 1 with finish issues.

From what I have heard from other people though is that this is not the norm for Larrivee, they are suppose to be a quality company with really good sounding guitars. But either way...you spend that much money on a guitar you want to make sure that it's good build quality and sounds good to you. If at all possible, play it first if you can.

7. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

I'd choose by what you were going to do with it. All L-bodies record well by their general nature, but engineers really like mahogany guitars because you can stick mics pretty much anywhere and get a great sound. If you're buying it as a live player, the rosewood has a bit more bottom and perhaps a bit more detail, but anything concerning an acoustics tone is only a generalization. You have two ears, use them both. I don't buy acoustics without playing them. That said, I've never played a blah Larrivee.-Eric

8. vchizzle

vchizzle Supporting Member

I'd probably go with mahogany if I were you. I'm primarily a stummer and everytime I've gone to buy an acoustic, I want to like the rosewood better - mostly because I like the darker wood color...and maybe some of the "rosewood talk"(the overtones, the complexity, ect). Most of the time I prefer the mahogany when I play them side by side.

I ended up buying a limited run claro walnut. It sounds kinda in between rosewood and mahogany.
    [​IMG]
    If you happen to find one(they came out a couple years ago), they really do sound great, I highly recommend them.

These look interesting... http://notableguitars.com/gallery2.htm
    1st and 3rd ones. lacewood, silver oak....yeah, I know I'm not helping, just complicating :D

9. pitner

pitner Member

I played rosewood martins my whole life and about 10 years ago scored a 1968 D-18. That 68 sounds better than all the rosewoods I ever played.