Larrivee RS4, good LP vibe?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Bunky, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Bunky

Bunky Member

Just curious if these are basically Les Paulish, can cover your Les Paul tone territory.

Thanks

2. DRS

DRS Member

3. robertkoa

robertkoa Member

I haven't played one yet but listened to Demos.

Remember that it's 25.5" scale which does influence the tones, so if you're talking exactly like an LP- no, IMO.

But they are fat and warm and rich sounding and I really want to check one out and the R2 version as well ( no Maple Top ). Especially as an H-S-H which is not Factory Spec.

They seem to have a little more clarity and note separation (IMO) on clean tones compared to an LP- like many 25.5" scale instruments- but with the fatness, bloom and longer full volume sustain we associate with set necks etc.

Maybe an LP with a little less chunk and a little more Twang-but not the same- I really think these would be amazing as H-S-H with coil cuts( which they don't offer, yet ).

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  4. stilesg57

stilesg57 Member

Haven't had the opportunity to play one yet (or one of the new Bakersfields for that matter), but based on the quality of their acoustics I can say with a lot of confidence that it will be one of the best put-together guitars you'll ever own.

As for how much it sounds like a LP, don't know. But most of the ingredients sure are there.

5. bacchus

bacchus Member

Many people are right about the 25.5 scale length, which will change things. But these are top notch guitars in every respect, made by a downright classy company. There are some good videos online that demonstrate the appeal and versatility of these instruments.

I am getting ready to go in on a very special run for forum members over at larriveeforum.com. I absolutely cant contain my excitement. If you are interested and hurry (deadline is March 5th), you may be able to get in on that. Check out that forum in your searches, lots of info over there and it is not uncommon for some of the Larrivee's themselves to join the discussions.

BTW, I have no affiliation with Larrivee, I am just smack in the middle of this build and wanted to express my opinion thus far.

6. Bunky

Bunky Member

Can you give more details on this "special run"?

7. bacchus

bacchus Member

It is basically an RS-4 with some special options as chosen by the Forumites:
    (I hope I am not overstepping my boundaries here, on either side)

Final Specs:

Any PUP combination you want including 1st time offering of a Larrivee Mini signed by ML
    JCL Special Reserve Grade Flame Maple Top
    Lightweight S.A. mahogany back / neck
    Indian Rosewood Fretboard
    African Ebony Headplate
    Color - Forum V mix of Amber & Root Beer - some might call "Ice tea" burst
    Nut size, wiring, pots etc standard stock
    Named/Numbered on back of headstock via traditional water slide decal

Headstock inlay - Vine
    Fretboard Inlay - V Block
    Finish : Poly Body with satin neck
    Bridge: Stoptail

Gold parts is an upgrade option choice of buyer
    Bigsby is an upgrade option choice of buyer

The voting phase for various features has elapsed, and the deadline to order, as I said, is March 5th.

Check out the Larrivee Forum electric page for more info:
    http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?board=21.0

Of particular interest are the following threads:

http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=39263.0
    http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=39274.0
    http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=39043.0

Anyway, Larrivee is coming out with some really sweet electrics right now, I would love to see them get some serious momentum.