Larry amps: your thoughts + Fortin plagiarized Larry?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Felipe Veiga, Aug 12, 2018.

1. SBlue

SBlue Supporting Member

Hi Goddot
    I moved about a year ago to Orlando, but moved out of there, to Nashville, first week of January. I would've been great to see you there!
    And if you ever come to Nashville, you're more than welcome to stop by the studio for a visit.

2. goddot

goddot Member

Hey good for you... I've been to nashville a few times and its a great place for musicians.. they are everywhere!

3. Guru Meditation

Guru Meditation Member

I admire you for your patience, but this is ridiculous and the reason I never deal with a "one-man-show"-type of company. No matter how well intentioned and/or reputable an amp builder is, it's simply an unsustainable business model especially when demand for their product reaches a certain level. And the ridiculously high prices are not because the amp actually is worth that much, but because they simply cannot achieve the so-called "economies of scale".

And of course there are those cases where people that paid in advance and/or sent their amps are still "waiting" for their amps. Just ask those who trusted Mark Cameron... (I am not implying that Larry is such a case, but it is obvious that he cannot keep up with production/demand)

4. hstlaurent

hstlaurent Supporting Member

I hope you get your amp soon.

SBlue likes this.
  5. SBlue

SBlue Supporting Member

Thanks man. I really appreciate!

hstlaurent likes this.
  6. FourT6and2

FourT6and2 Supporting Member

To be fair, you gotta charge a lot on an amp to make it worthwhile. Parts cost is probably north of $1800 per amp with all the high-end parts he uses. Let's say 5 days to build. That's 40 hours. A car mechanic in my state charges $85/hr shop rate. But I think my local amp tech charges maybe $65. Let's say $50 for this thought exercise. That's $1800 + 2,000 = $3,800 just to break even. Would need to charge $6K per amp to make it worth it (tools, supplies, rent, utilities, shipping, etc.). Otherwise, it's just a hobby and I'd build and sell maybe 2-3 amps per year and just break even doing it for fun. But then, nobody is paying $3K+ for a DIYer's amps.

As you say, with economies of scale, you can reduce some of the costs. But Larry's amps look to be built well, with expensive components, and a high attention to detail. I doubt he wants to outsource.

technomancer likes this.
  7. hookakat1

hookakat1 Member

Kind of funny this thread was started just to trash Fortin and yet it became a thread that points out it takes no less than 3k and three years (!) to even get a Larry amp. I literally cannot imagine any piece of gear being worth that. That is an EchoPark level of customer disrespect there.

8. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Please don't lump ALL "one man shows" together. For example, Jim Kelley builds his amps in vanishingly small numbers, but doesn't take payment until the amp is done. And they are incredible sounding and complex...

jsboswell and fusionbear like this.
  9. Guru Meditation

Guru Meditation Member

Great post. I think that we basically agree that this is pretty much an unsustainable business model longterm-wise and especially when it comes down to pricing your product. There are simply not that many buyers willing to spend ridiculously high amounts for an amp that no matter how good it might be (build quality mainly, because sound is pretty much subjective) is basically way overpriced just to make it worthwhile for the builder.

On another note, I forgot to include two more points in my original post.

1. Unfortunately, we are only mortal human-beings and in that case if -God forbid- something happens to the guy who just took $3,4,5k or whatever amount to build you an amp, you're basically out of luck. Maybe you will get your money back from surviving relatives, but again good luck with that one...

2. "drbob1" below wrote what I wanted to include in my original post. Any independent amp builder should only take a small down-payment (or -even better- no payment at all) which would be fully refundable if for some reason they can't deliver and if -and only if- they build the amp and are ready to ship it to the customer would they receive the rest of the balance due. Just my opinion.

But then again, personally there's no way waiting 3(!) years for anything no matter how good it may be. It is simply unacceptable to me, because life is too small to lose that much time just waiting.

Fair enough. That would make me feel pretty comfortable if I ever considered buying an amp from a "one-man-show".

wntbtw likes this.
  10. thegame

thegame Member

Though I can hardly endorse the wait times and periods of non-communication, a Dino 939 takes about 80-100 hrs to build.

SBlue likes this.
  11. FourT6and2

So two weeks. That's 26 amps per year, but I doubt anybody works non-stop for 52 weeks. So let's say... 15-20 amps per year. I wonder how many people are in line for an amp to make the wait 3+ years.

12. hstlaurent

hstlaurent Supporting Member

Based on the maths I would say between 45 and 60+

13. thegame

thegame Member

Enough to keep building for almost 30 years now.

14. DRS

DRS Member

Every year we get several of these amp or guitar stories:

"I've been waiting for 1-2-3 years for XYZ amp/guitar that sounds amazing in the clips on the builder's website and Joe, Ted, and Bobby on the Fret Crushers forum love theirs . . ."

How often do these stories end in sorrow and anger and the clips sound like every other amp in that class?
    I'm with the guys that will only pay for an amp that is ready to ship and be delivered within my credit card protection.
    I bought a Reeves but Bill built in in 2 weeks and shipped it so it arrived before my credit card protection expired.
    Best wishes to SBlue.

wntbtw and Wizard of Ozz like this.
  15. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

Not enough.

The other big Larry Red Flag... the builder has not fixed/updated his website in 2 years... he keeps claiming it was hacked but has made zero attempt in 2 years to fix it or completely build a new one. And if he can't... pay some 16 year old $100 and have them make a basic website for you... instead of directing people to your Facebook page for info/pics before international bank wiring you (yep... Larry doesn't accept PayPal) 1/3 of the total cost of the amp. No recourse, no thanks. I like to gamble... but I can think of many other things to waste money on. And I have the money to buy a completed one right now, if it was available for immediate purchase. 3 years?!?... uh, no.

wntbtw likes this.
  16. Kevin Bravard

Kevin Bravard Member

I own a Dino. Best guitar amplifier ever made.

17. Jim S

Jim S Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

[​IMG]

18. sparkman

sparkman Gold Supporting Member

I really feel for anyone waiting an extended time for an amp. I had a bad experience right out of the gate with a custom amp, and it bothered me so much that I will only go through a dealer—or through a builder with an amp that is available—for purchasing. There are one man shop good guys out there—no question. For me, it just became a question of risk avoidance. That’s just me though. YMMV of course.

wntbtw likes this.
  19. FourT6and2

As far as I know, Larry has a good reputation. I've never seen one of his amps in the flesh though. From photos, they certainly look well built. And he's contributed a wealth of knowledge to the DIY community.

wntbtw likes this.
  20. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

Read post #65 of this thread... page 4. SteveK = BoggyDepot.

Caveat Emptor

wntbtw and FourT6and2 like this.