Larry Calrton 335 vs. Stock 335 Your opinions???

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by guitarguy3612, Feb 28, 2006.

1. guitarguy3612

guitarguy3612 Senior Member

I'm looking into getting a 335. I played the Pilot Run model of the Larry Carlton 335 at Dave's Guitars in Lacross, WI this weekend and thought it was amazing. It may have been the Carr Rambler I played through but the guitar played amazing and have this awesome tone that I loved. Some of the regular production models I've played didn't have the same feel as the Larry Carlton.

I guess what I'm wondering is what are the main differences in the LC model that make it different from a regular 335 and do you think I could get a regular model to have the same sound as the LC?

Hope you guys can help!

2. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I emailed Dave about that guitar and he said the main difference was the Thin shaped Neck on the Larry. Its supposed to be Tiny. But if you played it and liked the neck..........I'd grab it if you could. Did you play the Alvin Lee that was there as well? I can't get past all the stickers on that guitar but I bet it kicks ass and I'm curious how that single coil in the middle sounded.

3. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

There are alot of great 335's out there. I've owned a few that were killers (including the '67 with stop tail that I currently have). My two other fave 335's of all time include a memphis made USA dot reissue in Cherry that I still wish I had...and a quilty blonde Historic '59 reissue that I got from (and sold back to) Tom Jensen...that one had the fatter neck, and sounded huge. If I had that Cherry USA and the Blonde '59 to accompany my '67...well, there'd be my Holy Triumvirate from the land of McCarty.
    As it is, the '67 is keeping me good company! Finally, dont let the '57 classic bugaboo bother you. Those pups sound fantastic with a semihollow axe.
    So, look around, or not (if you dig the Carlton)...
    S.
    j

4. CS'56

CS'56 Member

I love 335's but hate playing them. The neck is so freaking small it's uncomfortable. I just can't get used to the tiny necks. I didn't know the Carlton was thinner! :eek:

I wouldn't mind having a Lucille in cherry red. The neck has a little more girth, just enough for me to get use to.

5. A440

A440 Member

I played one over the weekend. nice block inlays. the neck felt diff than a previous one I'd played.

this one more like the 60's 335's which had the narrower width neck, but not thin backed like the typical 60's slim I find on the USA Dot Reissues. nice enough to contemplate a trade even though not crazy about the color :)

I also think the bridge is set back a bit more than std ??

6. Hardtail

Hardtail Member

Is this the model you're talking about ? The Carlton model is supposed to have a "heavy" neck profile - which appealed to me. Anything smaller than the usual 335 would be a huge turnoff IMHO. Love the extended tailpiece position ...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Electric?sku=517752

HT

7. Robertito

Robertito Member

What bothers me about the LC335 is that I noticed they didn't bother to shape the horns correctly; the guitar has the Mickey Mouse ear shape of the 50s guitars. If I were to pay that much for a guitar, I'd want it to look right...

If the neck is true to the original, it would have what is described as a "pencilneck:" about 1 9/16" at the nut, fairly fat, and huge at the 15th fret. I can't imagine them doing that - can anyone tell me?

8. Robertito

Robertito Member

Sorry - it occurred to me that my guitar has that neck shape; some I've played have really uncomfortably (for me) tiny necks all the way up. Same width at nut, etc.

9. Srini

Srini Guest

Just to put this in perspective, I once got one of the Valley Arts Larry Carlton signature models (#12 of 100...:) ). As big a fan as I am of Larry's I detested the guitar - mainly because the neck was so thin it was uncomfortable.

Several years later, I discovered that I have a predilection for very fat necks, and really love my Warmoth fatback.

I guess my point is that Larry obviously prefers very thin necks, and I would be surprised if this 335 is an exception.

Srini

10. guitarguy3612

guitarguy3612 Senior Member

Well, I've found a LC for both $2400 and $2500 now in two different stores. I'm still wondering what you guys think about if it's worth getting the LC versus the regular production 335.

Any thoughts?

11. ToneKing

ToneKing Member

I say that if your comfortable with the neck contour and like the looks of the LC compared to the standard 335, GO FOR IT. If you don't, you may find yourself kicking your own a$$ for not going through with it.

12. stark

stark Supporting Member

I've played the real deal and checked it out against the copy and it's not much of a copy.

Adam Stark

13. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

Was the 'real deal' a particularly nice guitar, or is it all in those fingers of his? Just curious.....:)