Larry Campbell at Cabin Fever

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by todd richman, Feb 21, 2009.

1. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

I just read over at amorica2 that Larry Campbell (Phil Lesh, Bob Dylan, etc guitar player) is at Cabin Fever tonight and will be for the other shows and is reccording with them. I remember reading that he was in the running for Marc Ford's spot when he left back in 2006. Supposedly, Luther is there also. Anyone else hear anything about this-I think Larry is very versatile. Al Durham knows him and works with him so maybe he will chime in.

2. DrSax

DrSax Member

Larry Campbell is great!! He's got the life, too, playing in so many cool projects over the years.

3. BigAl

BigAl Member

I was at the show last night and The Black Crowes sounded great. The band was in fine spirits and there was a lot of laughing and joking amongst the band and also with the audience.

Last night was all new material the band has been working on. Very much in the Warpaint vein and lots of sweet music!

Larry Campbell was indeed playing with the band and was phenomenal. He played pedal steel, mandolin, banjo, and violin and added a lot to the tunes. One song towards the end of the set where he took a mandolin solo that was killer!

Luther was there and also playing great. I really like the way he fits with the band.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  4. Caribou

Caribou Silver Supporting Member

I saw Larry with Phil Lesh a few years ago and his lead tone absolutely blew me away! It looked like he was playing his strat through a couple of ac30's, but I'm guessing there was an od in the signal path too. You guys know about his gear?

5. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Al Durham posted his pedalboard here a while back and it is also posted on the Durham Electronics site in the clients section. Al designed the switching unit on the board which also has a Dyna Comp, Sex Drive, Zia Drive, TS-9 modded by Al, EH Wiggler, Boss RV-5, DL-4 and Rotosphere. Larry plays that old Frankenstrat with EMG's, a blackguard Tele, Sunburst bound Tele, a few acoustics, mandolin and fiddle, an occasional Les Paul and there is a cool pic of him with Bob Dylan playing an old Kay with the dual gold metal landing strips ala an Old Kraftsman.