Larry Carlton 1997 Room 335

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by GAT, Sep 14, 2017.

1. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Killer tone and playing. Michael Porcaro, Willie Ornales and Greg Mathieson.

BBSuggs and Adel2 like this.
  2. MrGuitarhack

MrGuitarhack Member

One of my favorite players of all time. No matter what kind of guitar he's playing he sounds like Larry Carlton - which is fantastic.

wstsidela likes this.
  3. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Remember the first time I saw Larry Carlton he was playing with the Crusaders they had their first big hit, "Put it where you want it". They were playing on some regular TV variety show, can't remember which one. But Larry just had this big sh*t eating grin on his face and looked like the happiest kid on Earth. He sounded fantastic and I've been a big fan ever since.

4. BBSuggs

BBSuggs Member

Oh yeah, great stuff. Nice to hear that live cut again. Originally released in 78. I probably heard it first in 79, and could only dream of ever touching that tone and technique. I was playing a Peavey amp at the time, and was rarely in tune. Dream on ....

5. ELmiguel

ELmiguel Member

Mesa Boogie days

MrGuitarhack and Average Joe like this.
  6. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

Now that's the thing. As good a sound as he got from the Dumble, that Mesa era is IT for me

MrGuitarhack likes this.
  7. ELmiguel

ELmiguel Member

I bought a Mark I Boogie in the late 70's
    they're great amps, but they sound different than a Dumble
    Larry and a 335 sounds good through any amp

Average Joe likes this.
  8. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Not the same song but still the happiest kid on Earth and same bad 70s clothes:

Zandalf, silky_sam and Leonc like this.
  9. Leonc

Hey Brian - yeah love that era...think that first track is from Chain Reaction? That was years later, but man...what a great clip, great musicians!!! Such a creative period!!!

Zandalf and Flyin' Brian like this.
  10. Leonc

Stomp and Buck Dance, that was not long after Put It Where You Want It. Larry didn't quite have the Farrah Fawcett do yet, lol. Man...he was playing a gold top?!!

Flyin' Brian likes this.
  11. silky_sam

silky_sam Gold Supporting Member

12. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Yeah, he's playing through a SS in this one.

13. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

And not even a 335.

Bluesful likes this.
  14. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Yep.

I think it's a Yamaha??

15. ELmiguel

ELmiguel Member

there is a Yamaha SS combo amp on top of another speaker box
    to the left of it is a Fender head
    I think that's a Rivera Twin II head
    it's the right era, 1980's
    sounds like it too

[​IMG]

That guitar might be a Yamaha 335 copy, it has fine tuners on the stop tailpiece
    The Strat is a Valley Arts Strat probably made by Mike McGuire in the early 80's

Bluesful likes this.
  16. B Vance

B Vance Member

My Larry Carlton story...

1st weekend of May, 2010 a buddy and I made the drive to the Nashville area for an event called Leiper's Falls Guitar Appreciate Festival. Lots of talent was scheduled to play, but the headlining names (at least for me) were Larry Carlton and Robben Ford.

Some of you may remember, that was the weekend Nashville received >12 inches of rain and the Cumberland River and tributaries flooded much of the city and surrounding area. The festival was scheduled to be an outside event, but because of the weather they had moved the primary stage venue inside what amounted to a junior high gym. I can remember seeing high water levels as we drove into town. Needless to say the weather had scared a lot of folks off. We had driven a long way and were set on trying to catch some music so we didn't let the situation deter us. As we walked into the gym, a deputy came around and told everyone that the roads in and out of town were completely impassable and no one was getting in or out. The event was cancelled. We were disappointed, but decided to make some lemonade out of the lemons. We were just milling around up by the stage, checking out the gear and saw Larry Carlton along with his son Travis just hanging out. Went over, sat down and had a nice conversation with the two of them for upwards of an hour. After a while, Larry turns to my buddy and says: "We're all here, no one's going anywhere, we might as well play something. What'da think?" We both agreed and he played for what amounted to 100 people, 80 of which were locals who were only there because it was the town's emergency storm shelter.

He played his 335 through what was a newly acquired Bludotone amp. He brought out Robben Ford for a set and Jack Pearson for a few tunes. Mr. Carlton is an awesome player, but what will stick with me more is how genuine a guy he was. Completely down to earth, humble and sincere.

Bluesful, Leonc and Lef T like this.
  17. Lef T

Lef T Member

My favourite album for quite a while was Last Nite.
    Killer playing and tones on that one.
    Currently,I just love his Session Masters album.
    Everything about this album is good.
    It is a cohesive production from start to end.
    Beautiful playing of great compositions with superb tone and just a hint of reverb and delay.
    No weird keyboards or effects and the musicians are all playing so tastefully and complimentary.
    I would have to say this is a Carlton masterpiece.

Bluesful likes this.