• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

Larry Carlton live 'really' going for it on a LP! No editing ... Wow!!

DrJamie

Silver Supporting Member
Boy, if a Les Paul was good enough for LC. Those pickups were a mile from the strings. I liked the sound and feel of the performance. It wasn't a free for all, but a tasty contrast here.

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
Never seen LC play an LP, either.
That's his Goldtop that Robben Ford had on permanent loan for many, many years IIRC.

There's an interview somewhere where Robben tells the story of how he gave it back to Larry. Goes something like:

Robben Ford was in a music shop (I think Guitar Centre Hollywood) with Kirk Fletcher just playing guitars and hanging out. Robben had brought along that Goldtop with him, when either he asked a guy that worked there, or a guy came up to him and told him how much it was worth. Robben was flabbergasted at the value. He subsequently rang Larry Carlton and told him that story, at which point Larry asked for it back.

I may not have that story 100% correct, but it's ballpark.

Lucidology

Silver Supporting Member
Boy, if a Les Paul was good enough for LC. Those pickups were a mile from the strings. I liked the sound and feel of the performance. It wasn't a free for all, but a tasty contrast here.
Really far from the strings ... Really cleans up the sound ...
Makes for much spankier rhythm sound too

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
Killer! Was there a legit record or video released from this?
No, not that I believe.

They would have been touring, or playing random festivals off the back of their studio record.

There's a full live show from Japan on YouTube.

John Quinn

Gold Supporting Member
WOW ... Carlton is completely on fire in this live clip...
RIT uses Wes octives to do totally funkified take ...
Must see for their fans.. They are both really going for it with a killer band
Wow - just Wow. A group of masters playing well beyond us mortals

Trending Topics

Top Bottom