Larry Carlton Pedalboard

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by guitplayer0321, Apr 19, 2008.

1. guitplayer0321

guitplayer0321 Member

Who makes Larry Carlton's pedalboard? Or, is it a custom job? It looks like it has a lid that pops open with a tuner in a single rack space; would like something similar for my Chandler digital echo.

Sorry for the link, but I can't grab and copy the picture in the pdf; the pedalboard is at the bottom of the page. http://www.larrycarlton.com/pdf/lc_gear.pdf

2. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

and to think i was sitting less than 6 inches from it and i didn't even pay attention, he was wailing at the Blue Note

3. WailinGuy

WailinGuy Member

Don't remember his name, but LC's road guitar/amp tech built his current pedal board and gave it to him as a gift. Chack out LC's official web site, there might be more info there, maybe even some video clips describing the board.

4. cmr415

cmr415 Member

I saw LC a few years ago and I was chatting his tech up about his Dumbe. His tech gave me an LC pick as an "introduction" to Mr Dumble, should i ever need to

5. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

6. missing_dave

missing_dave Member

great post..thanks

man what a cool guitar tech..hes so genuinely into LC ...i wish someone cared at all about my playing:(

7. Twanger

Twanger Member

I thought it kinda funny that his tech said the board was also a gift to himself, since it made setting up Larry's rig easier. There are lots of great lessons on Mr.335 TV; I want to get his 335 Blues course. Larry is one of my Top 5 favorite players for sure!

8. guitplayer0321

guitplayer0321 Member

Thank you for the replies...

9. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

Whatever happened to the Valley Arts Guitar he use to play?

10. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

11. missing_dave

missing_dave Member

ha..yeah hes the quintessential tech. all the "we" this ..larry likes this..knows every in and out of "there" artist.:bow funny but very flattering. always seem like such great guys.

man thanks to this thread im gonna dig into some LC.never knew much about him and have seen some smokin youtube stuff but this thread really helped get me into him. thanks guys!!

12. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

13. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

If you do, I'd suggest "Last Night" which is the best recording of his Valley Arts Strat era, "Sapphire Blue" for a total blues record and The Crusaders "Crusaders 1" 2nd Crusade" "Chain Reaction" "Those Southern Knights" and "Southern Comfort". And of course the Steely Dan recordings. I always liked him best on other people's records better than on his own.

14. Iversen

Iversen Member

"Last nite" is one of the best guitar albums IMO. Great playing and and great tone.

15. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

Good for wireless. Does not have to be big if designed for job. Build in to angled board like pedalboard.com does.

DS

16. soopajeanmi

soopajeanmi Member

I love LC but think "last nite" is not very typical of his work and tone (common, a strat..?).

The landmark LC recording to me is "The royal scam" by Steely Dan. Jaw dropping tracks after tracks. Best Carlton tone ever recorded.

17. Ozro4

Ozro4 Member

I think that the hinged-rack tuner might be the single coolest thing I've ever seen on a pedal board. Although...I've always been fine with the TU-2. But the idea kicks a**.

18. James

James Member

I have an ad from Vintage Guitar magazine (August 2005) for a company called Showcase Custom Cases, Inc. with pics of Larry Carlton's pedalboard. I recall that video in which his tech explains his pedalboard and the background for making it (I thought his comment that it was a gift to Larry as well as a gift to himself was funny, too)

So, perhaps his tech spec'd it out and designed it, and had Showcase Custom Cases, Inc. build the basic pedalboard. I'm sure he (LC's tech) probably wired it, etc.

Their website is:

www.showcasecases.com

Hope this helps.

all best,
    James

19. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

There is a LC Starlicks video. It is actually in my public library; some good info there.

20. Desperado

Desperado Vertex Effects, Inc.

This was from last night at Yoshi's in San Francisco:

[​IMG]