Larry Carton ES 335

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by OldSchool, Jul 25, 2005.

1. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Daves guitar has one of these for $2600 used.

I don't get it. I looked at the specs on the Gibson home page : http://www.gibsoncustom.com/flash/products/signature/larrycarlton/LarryCarlton.html

And I don't see ANYTHING signature about this guitar except the Carton "burst" color...........which looks like plain old ordinary Cherry Sunburst to me. WTF are you pay a $1000 premium for on this guitar over a reg. model? In fact......the reg. models actually have figured tops!! :confused:

2. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

Not that I think it justifies any price increase, but the tailpiece location is different on the Carlton sig.

Bryan

3. aeolian

aeolian Member

I played one out of the initial lot of 100. I'm still salivating. I thought I had a really nice 335. And I've played a lot to find that one. But the Carlton that I played had the most amazing response, and this unbelivable chime on top. Larry often rolls the tone back and you really needed to with this guitar to get anything like a typical Carlton tone. But it was so wonderful to play opened up. Notes just rang out. Dynamics were great. If that one is anything like the one I played, it's worth every penny of that $2600. Yeah, the tailpiece is further back and that does change the string tension a bit and is supposed to warm up the guitar, but I think they just did these right.

4. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

When LC was shopping for his now fable ES-335, he played a bunch and picked the one with the thickest/fattest tone played on the upper register, on the high e string.

I used to always hope for the same thing.

Now I don't see Gibson put down that thick toned high e string as a sig feature on the model.

I'm then not interested:D

5. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Interesting. I didn't know that. Barely qualifies it as a signature model to me.........but it sounds like a good player.

6. xray

xray Gold Supporting Member

I've got pilot run #7made in the Custom Shop and its the best 335 I've ever played. Unfortunately I may have to sell it. Anyway its got a couple of things different from a standard 335: the tailpiece, graphite nut, slightly narrower nut width, Schaller tuning pegs and 6105 frets. The end result is a neck pickup sound which isn't as boomy as other 335's and a bridge sound that isn't as bitey. The over all tone is very sweet. Sorry for the spam, but it may be in the Emporium section soon.

7. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

But the LC neck is still a skinny stick, right?

8. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

And how's the weight?

Most stock ES335's are in the 9.10 - 10lb range, which is way too fricken heavy for me, but is the LC lighter?

9. joeh77

joeh77 Member

I just followed your link to the Gibson site and now I am GASING for the Eric Clapton ES-335! Anybody know anything about that one?

Joe:)

10. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

well, it costs more than my parent's house (really)

/rick

11. xray

xray Gold Supporting Member

I just measured my LC 335 and its 8lbs 10oz. Also the neck is not that skinny, not as much as say a Historic '63 335

12. boog204

boog204 Supporting Member

correct me if i'm wrong but isn't the navarro prs just a custom 24, mccarty package, painted white?

13. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Yeah............and the Dickey Betts Gold Top is just a R9 with a ******** Tom Murphy Paint Job............what they go for? Like $5500!!? I saw one on the Bay for $7500!! What a joke........:rolleyes: