Larry Meyer Videoclip

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by StevenA, Jul 29, 2005.

1. StevenA

StevenA Member

I would be happy to post clips from bebop freight train Larry Meyer which are just absolutely stupid! if someone would kindly give me line by line instructions, (like I'm a 4 year old), from my non-digital video cam.

Thanks in advance and stay tuned. Steven

2. scottl

scottl Member

who is larry meyer?

3. 6Tones

6Tones Supporting Member

A Local longisland player/teacher and and all around great guy.

4. StevenA

StevenA Member

Briefly, Larry was a protege of jazz giant pianist Lennie Tristano
    and with Dave Frank (now teaching piano at Berklee) led the
    Larry Meyer Jazz Quartet in the '70s. He is painfully under recorded and still teaches beginners. His most incredible gymnastics does not occur on his cd but during jams at lessons. If you played with him he would blow your head right off. I have been his student and friend for over 10 years and happily cataloguing many of his original tunes, solo transcriptions, recordings and some amateur video. His style is absolutely unique
    and in over 30 years of guitar studying I have never seen anyone come close to what this man can do with a guitar. Help me get these videos up on this site. Steven

5. Mike

Mike Member

Got my attention!

Mike

6. StevenA

StevenA Member

If Steve Vai took lessons from Larry Coryell trying to look like Ted Nugent playing the music of John Coltrane with his '59 D'Angelico New Yorker into a Mesa .50 caliber, you might get...

7. RichardB

RichardB Senior Member

Steven,

are you a jazz player? I am VERY intrigued by yopur descrip. of Larry. I LOVE finding out about fantastic unknown players!

8. StevenA

StevenA Member

Richard,

I'm more of a jazz noodler than player. Larry on the other hand is more of a jazz Tsunami. It isn't that he is the fastest, or has the best tone or rig. What sets Larry apart is that his playing has
    become as much art as music. Heres a great story;

Larry once sent me a lesson tape, his solo on 14 choruses of Charlie Parker's Au Privaue (blues in F). After the 3rd chorus I couldn't find the 1 chord. I asked my friend Mark, a great player, to listen and he couldn't find it either. Here we are, 2 pretty good guitarists slapping our thighs trying to count 12 bars to find F. And there you have it, Larry had lost us. We simply could not keep up with his art. At the next lesson, we asked Larry to play a simple bass line so we could make some sense of his solos on the tape. Larry just smiles, starts to play and Mark and I just look at each other like we had found the lost Hendrix tapes. His solos became music that we had never heard before and it was beautiful. We simply were not trained well enough to hear it.
    This is where Meyer lives.

Some readers have expressed interest in Meyer's style. Well, it isn't often you hear a triple pickup Gibson SG fed into a Marshall half stack to play the music of Lester Young. But Meyer needs 24 frets to accomplish what he is hearing. Bucky Pizziarelli once said that jazz guitarists don't play more than 4 note chords. He never saw Meyer play 6 note chords up at the 18th fret of a D'angelico.

Call and talk to him. It is as exhilarating as watching him play.

Steven

9. scottl

scottl Member

Steven, send me a couple clips or tapes and I'll host some Meyer's mp3s for everyone.... :D

10. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

good man scott

id love to hear this guy too

jimmy

11. StevenA

StevenA Member

Bless you Scott, but these clips are pre-digital. I could send you audio tapes and Hi-8 that I made from lessons and are of questionable quality. Does this work for you? I suppose I could take my new Canon digicam to his house and force him to wail, but what I presently have is priceless.

Steven

Scott, I live in central Jersey. I suppose I could bring you some material?

12. scottl

scottl Member

Sure!! I'd love to hook up! Bring some lesson stuff... I'd love to learn some new moves too! ;)

I can convert to digital btw....

13. StevenA

StevenA Member

Scott, set me up.