Lars asked by Howard Stern who the Best Drummer is to win a radio bet

Redub

Silver Supporting Member
I used to always say Peart, but the older I get and the more I've become exposed to different players and styles over the years, it's too close to call. There are a handful of ridiculous players out there that could "tie" for the greatest player moniker, some of which are not as well known in popular music circles. Jojo Mayer, Omar Hakim, Larnell Lewis, and others come to mind.

NorCal_Val

I couldn’t pick a favorite drummer.
Bruford, Peart, Bozzio, Ward, Bonham, Lombardo, Herb, Puffy Bordin, the list just goes on...

Snoot

I've only fairly recently got into them after years of metal and alternative music, but it's Jaki Liebezeit of Can for me. The man was a machine who never overplayed. Check out Vitamin C, or Halleluwah.

drewl

Because most people don't know all his work.

There is no "best" drummer, there are countless thousands nobody has ever heard of that are better than one's listed.

Not to mention the greats throughout recorded history.

Spider Mark

I recall on some YouTube vid Lars saying that when he was trying to come up with something he always thought "What would Phil Rudd play?" which I found odd because he sounds nothing like Rudd.

I did see a Ginger Baker thing last night about Bonham, where he rated himself 10 and Bonham 4 - pro, but no swing. Elsehwere I;'ve seen Clapton say "Don't compare Ginge to Bonham or Moon!"

I am a Bonham fan myself, but no drummer.

Sorry, that would be Bruford
Bruford is like Bonham in that nobody else does what they do. They are both absolutely irreplaceable. The music simply cannot come across the same without either.

Whereas Peart could more easily be replaced by someone with that much technique.

But with Bonham and Bruford, their sound is so weird, and their feel is so unique, the music itself becomes like no other.

You could almost say that about Moon too, certainly in what and when he chooses to play. But I am guessing that if someone were determined to copy every beat, it might not be as impossible. Perhaps not.

My point, though, is that despite his enormous influence on rock and metal, there has been literally no other drummer that could get anywhere close to the same sound or rhythmic feel. I'm actually kind of surprised. Jason was closest, but even there...

I recall on some YouTube vid Lars saying that when he was trying to come up with something he always thought "What would Phil Rudd play?" which I found odd because he sounds nothing like Rudd.

I did see a Ginger Baker thing last night about Bonham, where he rated himself 10 and Bonham 4 - pro, but no swing. Elsehwere I;'ve seen Clapton say "Don't compare Ginge to Bonham or Moon!"

Bonham has swing throughout his catalog.

It might not be the same KIND of swing Baker wants, but it is a swing for sure. I can't even wrap my head around the notion that Bonham didn't swing. I have noticed that some people have a rigid notion about what swing is or should be. It's not bebop swing, for example.

But half the reason I can play Zep songs is that I know not to play them rigidly like metal, and know to make them swing a little so they sound more musical and not just like any old hard rock.

Shiny_Beast

Silver Supporting Member
Between the two I'm in the Bonham camp.

I actually place Barlow above Peart, but probably just because I'm a Tull fanatic.

Bonham was a force of nature, in the studio and live.

There's not a lot of popular bands with a drummer you couldn't make a case for being the GOAT, or at least put on the short list, but to me Gonzo is the gold standard.

Shiny_Beast

Silver Supporting Member
Buddy Rich > everybody else.
I saw him live in the late 80s/early 90s at some 10 band concert in Ontario. We were playing hacky sack to the current incarnation of BOG at the time. I remember having a great time jumping around etc. When someone told me it was Buddy Rich drumming for that set it all made sense :). The man was a human metronome. I'm not sure I've ever heard such solid timing live.

later on one of my buddies bumped into him driving around on his scooter and gave him a butterfly sticker lol; true story.

subtomic

Ginger always had an inflated sense of his own abilities - Elvin Jones himself called Moon “a born drummer” and I’d take his assessment over Clapton’s any day.

Trending Topics