Last Buffer Question I'll Ever Ask

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by d-b, Feb 8, 2008.

1. d-b

d-b Member

Now I know I need a buffer in front of my Ernie Ball Jr. Volume (I still don't understand what a buffer is and how it affects my fuzz and volume pedal) to prevent High end loss. Is there such a thing as pedal that is just buffer rather than an effect pedal with a buffer?

If no then what are some examples of buffered pedals that would work in front of my EBJr? Please be specific

2. vorvick

vorvick Member

3. Jagsound

Jagsound Member

I know they're expensive and hard to get, but the buffer in some of the BJF pedals, such as the SBEQ is almost completely transparent. It really is a nice piece of audio engineering, and as a bonus you can use it to boost the level a little bit as well.

Personally I've found it essential to have a buffered pedal in the chain somewhere, but I don't have any experience with volume pedals.

I'm not trying to say you HAVE to get a BJF pedal, they're just the only buffered pedals I know anything about, apart from my Boss DSD-2 delay which adds a little brightness but is still pretty good.

4. d-b

d-b Member

Any other decent eq's that have the magical buffer?

5. dB

dB Member

6. MudPies

MudPies Member

am I correct in assuming my TU2 does the buffer job?

mine is after my dirt/wah/compres before my modulators.

7. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

yes, the TU2 does act as a buffer.

I love my Axess BS2, but in a loud, noisy dingy bar, with my Bogner cranked, the buffer on the TU2 would make me just as happy.

8. r080

r080 Member

Pete Cornish Line Driver

9. jayn

jayn Member

+1....brilliantly great sounding buffer. Cool pedal too. Now, if I could only find a use for mine (seriously, it's a great pedal, but I use short cable runs, usually have a Boss pedal somewhere in there and I don't do any studio work...if any of those things were different, I'd use it constantly)

10. cochese

cochese Supporting Member

You can really go crazy with all this worry about high end loss with a volume pedal. Most amps have more than enough treble to spare. Your guitars pickups are already loaded down by the volume pot that is in your guitar and I haven't noticed people removing the volume pots in their guitars. If you have ever bypassed your guitars volume pot you would probably think it too brittle sounding anyway. Older PRS guitars used to have a "sweet" switch that cut high end. You could install a brighter 1 meg volume pot if you always plan on using a passive volume pedal or you could have a volume pot bypass switch installed in your guitar. That way your pickups only see one volume pot.

11. guitardr

guitardr Silver Supporting Member

12. Teahead

Teahead Member

The SBEQ is true bypass, as far as I know only the Baby Pink Booster (BPB) is buffered in the BJFE line.

Having said that, I often use my SBEQ, switched on, as a type of buffer. It's a great pedal.

13. d-b

d-b Member

I really don't understand what a buffer is???? I am so confused...I thought tru-bypass pedals did not have a buffer?!?!?!

What is a buffer?!?!?!?!?

14. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

put simply, a buffer makes your pickup signal powered, or "active", at which point it will not really be affected by long cable runs, volume pedals, or other stuff in the chain. the active signal is not necessarily louder than the regular "passive" unpowered guitar sound, it just has more "force" behind it. it's sorta like a dump truck going 30 miles an hour vs. a honda civic going 30 miles an hour.

some pedals, like fuzzes, can't take an active signal because it makes them distort in a weird, unpleasant way.

15. KagakuNinja

KagakuNinja Member

I was using a Microbuffer, tiny little box, 1.5 inches square, 9v power plug, worked great. Except now it is dead and I am using a SHO.

16. radcliff

radcliff Member

Zves SHO
    Antelope MDEQ
    BJF SBEQ
    Axess BS2 Buffer
    Durham Sexdrive
    Visual Sound pedals

...all do the buffer thing

the reason the Ernie Ball messes up your highs is because of the impedance of the pot. try switching the pot to a goodrich pot, which is a higher impedance, youre tone will stay more consistent, because there will be less of a difference when its in or out of your chain

17. Jagsound

Jagsound Member

:jo Sorry for the confusion - I've used the SBEQ like this quite a lot and didn't even think about the fact that it was switched on!

18. benjisaynomore

benjisaynomore Member

If you use an always on pedal at the beginning and end of the chain as I do a buffer is not needed.

I use a Tone Press as the first thing my signal sees (after my EB jr. volume which doesn't noticeably effect MY tone contrary to what others have said)...and then at the end of the chain I have my BBE sonic stomp pushing the signal through the last long cord run to the amp.

Question:

Isn't it redundant to run a buffer to a buffered bypass pedal? Won't the signal be "re-buffered" once it runs through the buffered bypass of the pedal in the chain?

Also, do all true bypass pedals react negatively to "active/buffered" signals? Or how can you know which one's will and will not without painstakingly trial and error?

THX.

19. eyeball987

eyeball987 Member

A little confused but if I am running a Dano Surf & Turf comp-->Micro Amp-->Bad Monkey-->Tonelab LE-->Amp am I "buffering" anything in a bad way?

20. ylo

ylo Member

Redundant -- Not necessarily. When bypassed you still get some signal loss from the cables and jacks, although probably not enough to worry about. If you have a bunch of true bypass pedals in series and a long cable run to the amp, this may be another story.

Ultimately, yes, you have to use trial and error and your ears to decide whether you are happy with your tone with or without buffer(s). Its mostly some of the old style fuzz boxes and wahs that were designed to interact with your pickups and cable capacitance that don't react well to buffers in front of them.