Last gig tonight

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Tonelover, Dec 13, 2019.

1. clarkram

clarkram Member

Im in an almost identical spot. My band has been together 11 years and our last gig is New Years Eve.

In my case I told the guys I was tired and needed a break, I’m 69.

We had a great run, made some good music. Definitely ambivalent about stopping, but all things run their course and I think it’s time.

Enjoy your retirement.

Bob Pollock likes this.
  2. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

Yep! Was very hard for me to leave the house last night! Lugging gear in the cold, dark, and rain makes it harder.

stevenymets likes this.
  3. musekatcher

musekatcher Member

Take the break Tonelover. Maybe hit an open mic in the future, there will probably be reunions, maybe write some, and share your experience on TGP, etc.

I had a reunion a few weeks ago, no practice, private party out in the sticks, and we just killed it all night long. We were surprised, lol. We turned the stage over to some younger pickers, and they did a great job while we caught up on beer and stew. Just a damn good time that's hard to buy. It felt great, and for a moment, we almost reformed, but decided its better to just save up for the next reunion. We all have other projects going anyway.

I haven't hit the fatigue limit yet. Based on you and others, it seems to set in during the 60's, after 5+ years of a successful band. When I "retire", I just wanna keep my chops up for the occasional reunion, fill-in, etc. And my strength - I love Twins ;)

4. supergenius365

supergenius365 Supporting Member

Ten years IS a good run.

Take a break, but realize that you just never know what will come around. I had a band in my 20s doing my original songs. I figured I would never be able to do that again when that brand ended. It’s 25ish years later now and I fell into a band who wants to do my originals and we are busier than I ever was in my 20s.

5. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

How about Nashua, NH to Cape Cod AND BACK the same night!!!
    I agree, get outta NH. Come down to Myrtle, most venues start gigs @6PM and end around 10 or 11... I still can't used to that, it's great!

6. Tonelover

Tonelover Member

It's over now and I was wondering how I'd feel afterwards. There was a lot of build up to the gig and just having the pending breakup hanging over my head this year was making me feel guilty. I could not help but wonder if something would happen to cause me to change my mind by the last minute. Went in last night feeling a little down but ready to do my job. Good crowd of friends and family of all of us, good energy, place was way more busy than usual and the band brought it.

But I feel like crap this morning after not crawling into bed until 4:00. That's is one of things that's been getting to me. Someone else mentioned it in the thread, after a week of work the weekend is a time to get other things done and when I feel knocked out like this the day is wasted. Other than that there is relief that the guilt overhang is gone and I didn't wake up today regretting my decision. I'm not exactly celebratory but do have the closure I was looking for and now know that it's time to see what the future will bring. I'm really in no hurry to do anything.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  7. JLR

JLR Member

In bands since '76. Another 5 years tops for me. Also from NH. Gig seen here sucks. Little better in N. MA. Pretty sure I know the band that OP is referring to. It's a pretty small circle...LOL.

NicDo likes this.
  8. guitarmook

guitarmook Member

My last band fell apart about a month ago. We were only out there a year-and-a-half, but it was a pretty productive time. We averaged more than 3 gigs per month, recorded a couple singles, even broke into the private party circuit a bit.

But the monthly Friday night (10-2) gig was wearing on me, and I wasn't the only one.

I have an audition with another band tomorrow night. I'm REALLY on the fence about it. I love playing, interacting with a band, and a crowd. I don't miss a single minute of loading out through drunks at 2am.

9. mixwiz

mixwiz Member

When I found out I was going be a dad in 99, I gave my band a 6 month notice. We'd been together for about 8 years and I really loved playing with them. Good guys, great players and zero drama and 150 gigs a year (Good God I had no idea how lucky I was). Anyway, my final gig was at a place we really liked, all the regulars came out in force. There was cake, lewd dancing and drinking. It was perfect.........until the thunderstorm took out the power at 10:30 and never came back.

At first I was super dissapointed but then it struck me as really funny and I laughed most of the way home.

Wyatt Martin likes this.
  10. tycobb73

tycobb73 Supporting Member

Can you sing? Do a solo thing. I'll be home by 10.30 and I'll make as much or more as if i was playing with a band till 1 in the morning.

RGB likes this.
  11. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

I feel your pain.
    I think I have a couple of more years in me.

12. sideman

sideman Member

Again and again over the years, when a band breaks up I've thought, "well that's it - had a good run but I'm done." And every time another band comes along. This has been going on for a long time! If you like to play, keep your chops up and your phone on.

takmagic likes this.
  13. circle_o_5ths

circle_o_5ths Member

You guys could continue to jam and play out a lot less of course, that’s what we decided about fifteen years ago. We enjoyed the jamming and the male bonding, but as our careers took off the $100 to gig became an insult.

theRagman likes this.
  14. SteveO

SteveO Member

I gave it up in '98 after a four-year run with a weekly house band gig. I sometimes miss the crowds and those occasional magic nights, but ultimately the list of cons outweighed the list of pros to slogging it out in the bar scene, and I haven't really ever considered another go at it. I set up a nice home studio about ten years ago, and it's really done well for scratching my musical outlet itch-and it is always on my schedule.

15. 0018g

0018g Member

I had to hang it up three years ago after 25 years off and on.

For me, it was more of a relief than anything. I don't miss it one whit.

16. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Member

Sounds like the right move. Don’t confuse friendships with music although the two can coexist quite well. You are bored playing the same type of music year in and year out I think. Now that you have more time to rehearse by yourself, why not reinvent your playing - challenge yourself to learn a new style of music and take yourself out of the comfort zone. That will charge up your excitement about playing again.

17. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

Good for you -- glad the last show was well performed and well attended. That's a nice way to finish. And congratulations for being in "no hurry to do anything." That's hard for some folks to do, but I highly recommend it.

Enjoy... Relax... Repeat...

18. harpinon

harpinon Member

I retired 4 years ago and I enjoy jamming at home just as much, if not more.
    You'll be fine.

19. Barquentine

Barquentine Member

My last band was together for ten years without any change in the line up. The singer decided he'd rather devote his spare time to golf. We tried but we couldn't find a suitable replacement.

Last gig was in January. I've tried to get something else going but no luck so far. I still play a lot at home but I really miss the interaction with the band.

I don't miss heaving gear around and the volume - we were pretty loud. At this time of year in the U.K. I often look out the window at the torrential rain and I'm glad that I don't have to go out.

20. GerryJ

GerryJ Member

Read between the lines...the other guys were ready to hang it up as well. It's just hard to admit, being a melancholy experience.
    Playing in the occasional low volume gigs or parties, small duos/trios - with minimal gear - with regular practices for fun & to be ready, new songs for the neurons- try that.

I sometimes miss the old days of the big loud rock bands I was in, but then I'll walk in a little pub with a tip jar & see a set-up that's easily 2 hours load in & loud out....all those mics, cords, mixer, mic stands, cabs...& the nostalgia fades fast.
    and oh yeah, the band guys are in their 20s ;)