Last Night, at Band Rehearsal.......

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by bloozetubes, Mar 2, 2012.

1. bloozetubes

bloozetubes Member

....now i really like the other guitar/keys player in the band, nice guy, good player, great singer. he sings lead on about 45% of our material and always kicks it come game time. his pos guitar never goes out of tune and sounds awesome thru his ss marhall 1x12 yet he knows nothing about it. not that theres anything wrong with that, or his rig.

my only issue with him is hes never prepared, ever. forgot this, forgot that, no pick, no words, can i borrow a cord. every single time, gigs included. ive been in the band coming up on a year, and i dont want to rock the boat but, he does ok live, and hes a real nice guy so. there, i feel better having typed this............im over it

2. dunara

dunara Member

I left a band over this kind of issue, two decades ago. I've always regretted it. Just think - if he was a total bastard who turned up with all gear present and correct, you'd be a lot less happy.
    Nobody's perfect: Count your blessings, fella.

3. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

Could be that is just a chink in the guys armor.
    There are no perfect people, and in every band and every member you are likely to find things to irritate you if you let them.
    If the guy pulls his weight and gets along well with everyone, I would say that this annoying fault is likely one to overlook.
    Some people are just forgetful and have a hard time being well prepared.
    If you add up all his plusses and subtract his minuses what are you left with?
    From the way you describe him, I would think it probably far easier to carry extra crap around to help him out than it would be to replace him.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things

4. chervokas

chervokas Member

Well, have you had a conversation with him about it? Not a confrontational emotional conversation but a cordial, adult conversation. Good communication goes along way in human endeavors from a business to a marriage to a band, the latter of which is often like a little bit of the former two.

5. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

There are just some guys who are that way. If he's worth continuing to be in a band with, just be sure that YOU are ultra prepared by having extras of everything he might forget.

6. hank57

hank57 Silver Supporting Member

Buy him a cord and put it his combo.

7. Phoenix59

Phoenix59 Member

+1000

8. bloozetubes

bloozetubes Member

thanks guys, not complaining, just venting....and i do carry extra stuff for him, even the picks he likes. you're right, it could be worse.

9. Kriskov

Kriskov Silver Supporting Member

I had something similar so I just came to practice one time and told the guy "You know, I've had a tough time remembering everything for a gig because I get so excited. The only way I can remember everything so I didn't let you guys down was to make a checklist. I fill one out EVERY time we have a gig so I don't forget anything. Want a copy? Let me know if I've forgotten anything or if you think it can be improved or tailored to other guys in the band."

He never took offense since it was MY problem.

10. speakerjones

speakerjones Member

Definitely seems worthwhile to help him out. Maybe, if you think he'll be receptive, you could make him a gig checklist. Present it like "hey, I made this for myself so I don't forget to bring something to a gig. Want a copy?"

11. buddyboy69

buddyboy69 Member

So you feel like his mom and do part of his responsibilities? Do you get a bigger cut to babysit? Probably not. I can see how that would get old pretty quickly. He must be pretty good.

12. bloozetubes

bloozetubes Member

first one at rehearsal, last to leave, moves the most gear at gigs, never complains about anything. you're right tho, the other stuff gets old.

13. buddyboy69

buddyboy69 Member

well, take the good with the bad. if its a fun gig it should be a small price to pay.

14. gmann

gmann Member

I have little patience for guys like this. He's probably like this in other areas of his life too. I played with a drummer version of this guy. He shows up at an outdoor event where a backline is provided. He has no sticks with him as he thought everything would be there. Even when a backline is provided most drummers I know bring their snare and some bring footpedals. We did a gig once and he forgot his bass drum I kid you not. I asked him when he looked in the back of the van how could he not notice the big blue one was missing? As luck would have it a drummer I've played with previously just happened to show up to watch us and had his kit in his van (he actually had his bass drum too). The last straw was a gig where he had no bass drum pedal. He actually said will you really miss it that much? Sad part is he's a very good player and an all around cool guy to hang with.

15. 335guy

335guy Member

Our bass player is like this. Shows up at the last possible minute ( sometimes late ), doesn't have a cord or forgot some such thing. In fact, his amp was so bad sounding I bought a bass amp rig for him to play through because I couldn't stand the sound of his rat **** amp. But, he sings great, has great stage presence, and plays bass very well. So, we just give him a pass and realize that's just the way he is. Tried talking with him about it and he got a bit defensive, stating the problems in his life. Well, we all got some sort of problems, so again, we just give him a pass. The thing is, I really like the guy, so what does that say about me?

16. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

In case you haven't been doing this long, let me tell you, finding band members that are easy to work with is not all that easy, and ideal situations are not that common.
    After decades of playing with guys that can't stay sober past the 3rd set, guys that show up for practice a half hour late, guys that think that songs are really drum solos or guitar solos with backup, guys that sit and watch the rest of the band set the gear up, and guys that constantly blow gigs by cursing into microphones thinking it is "cool" and a host of other insanities, believe me, a guy who forgets stuff is lightweight and cake to deal with.
    No kidding, I carry an extra bass rig in my gigmobile because the bass player in the band I am in now won't fix his **** when it breaks down and doesn't carry backup. But, hey, the guy sings great and can play about anything and never complains.
    And he doesn't think songs are bass solos.

17. stratotastic

stratotastic Supporting Member

Yeah, if you're gonna survive in a band, you just gotta learn to live around other people's quirks. If you're an intolerant hardass, being in a band isn't for you. Don't sweat the small stuff. Could be much worse.

18. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

You're his work wife.... its aight.

19. dlmjr2

dlmjr2 Member

Fired my best friend over this stuff. We were a 3 piece and there was just no room for such a slacker. We're still great friends, this happened years ago, would I do it again? uhhh...maybe

20. Seraphine

Seraphine Member

All this means is that the band will become so brilliant that you guys will have a krewe of Tech and Roadies... This is brilliant when you have someone like this in a band... Just as long as EVERYONE isn't like that! Enjoy it man...

I want you to look me in the eye and repeat this... and MEAN IT... It can save your life someday.... "I never did sweat the small stuff"....