Last Night, at Band Rehearsal.......

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by bloozetubes, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Seegs

Seegs Member

This may seem obvious or not but wtf...he's not the problem...stop enabling him now!!

Some questions come to mind...

Why would you even do that and then complain about it?

What would happen if you stopped?

Chow,
    Seegs

2. doctorx

doctorx Member

Beat me to it. When he asks for a cord, picks, etc, tell him no. You've got enough to do and remember without playing mommy to him. Try only bringing what you need so you have nothing to loan. It'll be alright, how many times have you actually had a cord go bad?

I've had a guy actually ask me to use the cord between my pedalboard and my amp because his forgot his. I told him hell no.

You might lose a gig or two before he grabs a clue but he'll wise up when he realizes he needs to be responsible for his own ****.

3. oldtelefart

oldtelefart Member

Been there done that. If the guy is easy to get on with and a great performer, how much hassle is it really to carry a few extra cords, picks, etc? I've gladly done this for more than one guy I've worked with over the years.
    If he was a lazy crap performer and obnoxious personality, fire his ass.

4. cram

cram Member

it's obviously his grand plan to make you his "gear daddy". It's kinda like me putting a red shirt in a white load so I don't have to do laundry any more. Except, he's getting you to provide his cords and picks!
    :)
    Totally kidding.. I have a brother who's just like this. He's our bassist.

5. BBSuggs

BBSuggs Gold Supporting Member

You reach a point where a bandmate's attitude is just disrespectful, forcing a response. Our keyboard player pushed me to such a point. Regarding practice, his only keyboards stay in the trailer unless there's a rehearsal. What does that tell you? He's a great player, but his chops are weakening. At gigs, he's notorious for stopping in the middle of a song to adjust the PA, playing with one hand while checking his phone, and basically giving the impression that he did not want to be there.

He plays for the money.

My compromise? No more rehearsals. Gigs only. Haven't had any problems since then. The last gig was awesome. Everyone was sharp, paying attention, and basically making sure they didn't piss off the star on guitar.

Of course, add to this my suggestion that we commit to learning a new song a month in 2012. Crickets. No one was interested. Just wow. And if you reviewed our setlist, you'd laugh with understanding (Mustang Sally, Brown-eyed Girl, Play That Funky Music, etc.)

Again, it boils down to disrespect, and when that disrespect has to be addressed. I felt like it had to be addressed. The OP is still in the rant stage. I hope it doesn't escalate. It's hard to keep a band together.

One of these days, I'll have to go pick up my PA from the rehearsal room.

6. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

It isn't worth blowing gigs over just to make a point.
    Band reputations are too hard to build up to tear them back down over silly stuff that in the long run doesn't matter that much.

7. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

What would happen if a group of reasonably talented, attentive, responsible, dedicated, sober, non-impoverished, hard-working, people formed a band?
    Has it ever been done?

8. Cb

Cb Member

Plays guitar & keys, shows up and sing well?

Send him my way, I've got drawers full of extra strings, cables, picks, etc. He can use my binder of charts too.

Cb

9. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

It's too late to ask Mitch Miller.

10. Seegs

Seegs Member

Sure it matters...if it didn't why start a thread about it

Gigs over principles and respect?? I know where my priorities lie...

Chow,
    Seegs

11. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

Well man, performing ain't for everyone. So, I understand.........

12. Seegs

Seegs Member

I've been performing for over 43 years including some as a fulltimer and it has nothing to do with that...

There are just a whole lot of things that are more important to me than being disrespected...

Chow,
    Seegs

13. jekylmeister

jekylmeister Supporting Member

I agree with whoever said that it's hard enough to get people together that you're compatible with that play well. This guy would irritate me, too and I'd probably say something to him to try and affect his behaviour, but that'd be about it. I don't think that I would carry extra crap just for him to borrow. If I had extra, fine, but I'm not adding to my burden. I liked the checklist idea!

14. skronker

skronker 2010/2013/2015 S.C. Champions

used to play with a guy who's like the OP's buddy.

good player just didn't have an extra e-string or a pick or a extra working cable or a battery for his wah or a .......it was never ending...until i reached the end...

15. stratotastic

stratotastic Member

Exactly. I wonder how many of the intolerant, hardass, "tough love" types in this thread are even in bands.

16. Radspin

Radspin Member

On the one hand I think you have to cut people a little slack sometimes.

On the other hand, if you're playing in a band for people, for money, you're a professional and should be prepared and act like one! Period.

17. Seraphine

Seraphine Member

This is all relative and what is "professional" is relative to different bands models... Professional is not a one word solution eh? If the band was really a BAND.... how about being a well run krewe and model that actually invests in itself and has a stock of leads/chords and strings, drumheads / sticks etc... all that's required in good tech or magic cases?

I hardly think a "you bring your own stuff" attitude = a BAND that's just fun and a gig for hire gtr player and NOT a band... Ideally he should just need bring his AXE's and Keyboards and that's it eh?

I suggest BANDS invest in the band and stock all required... after all what the heck is a checklist good for? For the Tech boys? A good band would have all such things stocked and would invest in 'em.

18. Kriskov

Kriskov Silver Supporting Member

So I'm going to invest my money in your equipment, while having everything I need to do the gig for me? Not bloody likely. If you are truly in a working band, you have the equipment needed to do the job, and it is definitely a job. This isn't some commune where you shirk your responsibilities and I say " Oh, it's ok you don't pay attention to your part of the bargain, let me pick up the slack for you. I'll buy your gear, chase around after you and make sure you get paid for being a moron." In a real band we all are responsible for our gear and we all pull our own weight. Shite happens, but on an ongoing basis you need to man up. It's not a hippie love circle, it's just like having a "real" job, because it is.

19. Seegs

Seegs Member

Kind of a hardass stance...don't ya think?

Chow,
    Seegs