Last night: best live show I ever saw

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by sausagefingers, Mar 29, 2015.

1. sausagefingers

sausagefingers Supporting Member

TGP might not believe this.

Herb Alpert in Rockville, MD, 28mar15.

This show was outstanding on so many levels I think I'll be on a musical high from it for weeks.

- Herb is a living legend and music industry pioneer (he founded A&M Records you know!) and I was second row with an unobstructed view of him and the band.

- the band was drums, bass, and keys, plus Herb and his wife Lani Hall, an accomplished Grammy winning singer in her own right (remember Brasil 66?)

- the musicianship was so top notch I can't even describe how talented they were. It was a 2+ hour musical conversation amongst savants that could anticipate, react, groove, joke, and flat out jam as a unit.

- the interplay between them was JOYOUS. They all faced sort of inward towards center stage, and Herb, and there was constant eye contact and smiles and gestures between all 5. I think the song structures were pre-set but the interplay, dynamics, and improv'd notes were all on the fly.

- Herb addressed the audience as friends. Yes, he's a showman very practiced at this, but his ease was so disarming people shouted out from the crowd simple questions about his horn, what he listens to, etc.

- they played such a range of tunes from his Tijuana Brass medley, samba-ed up versions of Besa Me and Chatanoogoo Chochoo, Putting on the Ritz, but everything delivered with joy and a wink.

If they come to a venue by you, don't miss it! Seriously even if you don't think you like this stuff, this band is amazing. And Herb turns 80 on Tuesday! I haven't looked for youtubes of the band yet but I'll see if I can find some good examples.

I've seen TONS of classic rock and blues acts and this was tops. Reminded me about how music can lift you up. I'm 44 and many of the crowd we're older but we all felt the buzz after the 3rd encore.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  2. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Yeah, he's a national treasure. I know his daughter and met him once. He's a super nice guy...

3. filtersweep

filtersweep Member

4. ando

ando Supporting Member

fantastic! so great to hear & not the least bit surprised!

5. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Wow, I would have never guessed.

Thanks for the review. Sounds like a great show.

6. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

I think he meant 28Mar, but hey if he's really got a time machine, I'd like to borrow it. I'll only be gone for a few seconds...

7. sausagefingers

Oh yeah...got me. Last night, 28MARCH2015! Ha!

8. Frankee

Frankee Wartime Consigliere

Straight up legend.

9. bluwoodsman

bluwoodsman Member

Blast from the past. My folks listened to them quite a bit when I was a kid in the 60's. Good stuff coming across in pretty decent fidelity with our 4-track at the time.

10. Bob Maximus

Bob Maximus Silver Supporting Member

Geeze, I thought he passed years ago. Used to play Zorba the Greek on my horn.

11. standard24

standard24 Member

Did he sing "This Guy's in Love"? I always liked that song.

12. nsureit

nsureit Supporting Member

13. sausagefingers

One of the highlights: he invited us all to sing it with him. I had tears.

14. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

My grandfather ended up suing Herb Alpert and my grandfather's song writing partner, Sol Lake. My grandfather, Harry Green, and Sol Lake had a music publishing business, Greenlake Music Inc., in 1962. They would take eastern European type melodies and "Americanize" them, sometimes with a Latin flavor. They wrote "The Lonely Bull" and then Sol Lake went behind my grandfather's back and sold the song to Herb Alpert and made off with the money. My grandfather sued and as a settlement, in addition to money, my grandfather's song "El Lobo" was included on a Herb Alpert TJ Brass Album. As my grandfather's sole surviving heir I still get ASCAP royalties for El Lobo.

15. rhp52

rhp52 Supporting Member

That's quite a story....

16. sausagefingers

Congrats on your connection, I hope you have no ill will! I consider Herb a gentleman and an artist and I hope it was all very civil.

17. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

I think it was civil with regards to Herb Alpert. Not so much with regard to my grandfather's partner. I don't even think that Herb Alpert even knew that my grandfather had any rights to The Lonely Bull.