Last of my Amps sold!

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by RobRowland, May 23, 2011.

1. RobRowland

RobRowland Member

So yesterday the last of my valve amps sold, I'm now purely using the POD HD500 into my PC.

Obviously since this in now my only rig, I'd like to get the most out of it. I'll be looking to upgrade my speakers, and get a dedicated audio interface rather than using the POD.

I've been looking at KRK Rokit monitors - for guitar use, I'm assuming that the 8" would be the best? Any other monitors in the same price range worth looking at?

Also, how are people connecting their PODs to the interface? Is SPDIF worth looking at as opposed to 1/4" TRS?

2. guitarnet70

guitarnet70 Member

iKey Audio M-808 V2, they cost about half than the KRK and they sound better, IMHO.

I have them in front of me and when I've bought them the price was not my first purchase criteria. I've A/B'd them with lot others and starting with the Adam A7x upwards they where better (slightly). The difference was anyway not so big to justify spending 3 time as much.
    I plug the XLR's in to 2 mic channels (padded) on my mixer (integrated interface).

3. RobRowland

RobRowland Member

I'll check those out - thanks!

What does the pad switch on mic inputs actually do?

4. guitarnet70

guitarnet70 Member

It's not a switch, just a gain control. The ouputs (XLR) of the HD are a bit too hot for a mic level input but quite weak for a line level one, so you have to compensate from the board. The 1/4 are switchable between line and amp level, so is not an issue.

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  5. RobRowland

RobRowland Member

Cheers!

Any other tips for making the move over to purely modelling?

One thing I've noticed so far, is that using my PC speakers (which are pretty decent as far as PC speakers go, they were over £200), music sounds great on it's own, the POD sounds great on it's own, but when I play over tracks it all starts to sound thin and muddled. Is this just a limitation of the speakers or am I doing something wrong?

6. guitarnet70

guitarnet70 Member

PC speakers (even at 200) they are what they are. As Scott says: wrong tool for the job. On top of it consider that you're playing a raw track (your guitar) over a produced and masterized song (the backing track), so you're going to hear some difference.
    Get the monitors and you'll se what a different kind of experience will be...alone switching from ..3 inch speakers? (just guessing) ...to 8 inch studio monitors will make a hell lot of a difference!!!![​IMG]