Last of the big ol' USA Peavey Transtube Heads?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by doc, Dec 26, 2009.

1. doc

doc Member

I'm kind of enamoured of the USA built Transtubes. I think they have good build quality (not as bulletproof as the old USA stuff, but still good), the very good sounding Transtube circuits, and are inexpensive on the used market. I'm curious if anyone knows which of the high wattage amps, particularly heads, were made in USA and at what point they changed to China? I know with the Rage Transtube amps at the point they went to Chinese production they simplified the circuit and eliminated a lot of op amps. I might plan to pick up a few of the USA heads in case I want to tour someday (yeah, right), and it would make online shopping easier if I knew specific ones to look for.

I'm a little surprised these aren't hot with the kids playing technical metal these days, as I would think the bigger heads would be great for that style - for solid state they seem to prefer Randall or Ampeg (for those few that don't have Mesas or 5150s). They have the fast SS response, the solid state bass tightness, and the edgy treble, but with the Transtube circuit they also can be pretty smooth. One HC posting about the Supreme implied that these amps just don't have "balls".

2. V-Type

V-Type Member

I spent a couple weeks on a friends XXL combo when my Laney was getting recapped and retubed 2 years back.
    I think it said trans tube on it as well.
    I liked the amp a lot. However when I played her through a better speaker cab you could really hear its tone. It was smoother than I thought and the gain could do what the Mesa's,Marsalls and 5150's were doing.
    It was rated at 100 watts but too my ears was more like 60-70 but still quite loud.
    I had a Peavey Ultra plus 2x12(tube monster) and the XXL had a few more tone shaping features but really reminded me of that amp.