Late 50s early 60s Magnatone Trubadour!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by zosozep7, Apr 6, 2015.

1. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

My mother has had this amp for over 50 years and is now giving it to me.She used it for her Americana accordian. I remember using this amp when i was a young kid. I forgot for years she had this. Any of you out there know anything about it? I plugged in and it sounds pretty damn good! Kinda reminds me of a 5E3 circuit.I noticed there is a similar amp on the market called the Angry Robot. Not sure if its the same thing?? Can anyone tell me what year it is from the transformer?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. davebc

davebc Member

Very cool!
    (don't blow it up);)

3. DBBlues

DBBlues Formerly fullertone Silver Supporting Member

That amp is becoming very desirable. It is the same amp or very close to the Tonemaster owned by Phil X that became the basis for the repro (more or less) called the Evil Robot. It is a Magnatone 213 or 213A, I believe. I have a 213 A branded as a Giulietti (another accordion company). The overdrive is fantastic (listen to early Phil X demos for Fretted Americana, when he was using the Tonemaster). The pitch shift vibrato is heavenly clean, and adds this unfair oscillating advantage to fuzz pedals.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  4. DBBlues

DBBlues Formerly fullertone Silver Supporting Member

I see that the schematic says 213.

5. erksin

erksin Member

Same amp as the Maggie 213.

There's lots of 213s out there under different brand names - Americana, Tonemaster, Pan-Aramic, Pac-Amp. One of the best small amps ever made, IMO.

6. zosozep7

I forgot to mention. The tubes are all original. I cant believe they're still working. The vibrato is not working but it could be the old wooden pedal is not functioning properly.

7. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

No, that's not it. The vibrato works w/o the footpedal. Chances are, like most old Maggies from that era, it needs a new cap or two in the vibrato circuit.

These are fantastic sounding amps, particularly if you can get a good old Jensen speaker in there (e.g., P12P). Those old Oxford 12K5s weren't great to start with and typically, they haven't aged well...

8. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

Yahoo Magnatone Valco Users Group is a good resource.

9. zosozep7

Thanks for your inputs everyone! Lots of help info. The more im looking at this thing the more excited im getting to maybe take it to a local amp tech. Just need to gind one in the local Detroit area. My mother said they got it from Gus Zoppi in Hamtramk back in the late 50s or early 60s. Im in Nashville this week and were going to take her Americana accordian to some vintage shops downtown. The amp is staying with me though.

Can anyone help me date this thing? Looking at the transformer im guessing 1960? I have no idea how to read the numbers.

10. Lost_Cause

Lost_Cause Member

Speaker code will also help to date the amp. Had a DaVinci branded one of these. Same time period. Great amp.

11. Leonc

Back then, most US manufacturers used EIA codes. http://www.triodeel.com/eiacode.htm

Magnatone often used Woodward Schumacher transformers, IIRC...606. So if your PT has a code like 606903, that would mean it was made by Woodward Schumacher in the 3rd week of 1959. You may find codes like this on the pots, on the big capacitor can, and on the speaker.

12. Leonc

BTW, I bought my first guitar amp--an Ampeg VT-40 from Gus Zoppi Music, but they had moved to 8 mile road by then...it was 1972.

13. VJF

VJF Member

I have a stock 1959 Maganatone 213A and it's a great amp.

Your amp is from 1960 based on the transformer and speaker codes that I saw in your pictures.

The vibrato did not work on mine when I got it as it also had all original tubes but the power tubes. Turns out it needed a new (NOS actually) 12AU7 to get the vibrato to work. Try that first.

14. zosozep7

I know in a little late on all your replies but thanks again for all your inputs. VJF, I will try the 12AU7 for sure. Just wondering if i should maybe buy all the replacements for the amp being that its over 50 years old? If so, where is a good place to buy? JJ?

Rob

15. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

Thats amazing that the amp is still in your family and that your mom passed it down to you.
    Hope you can get it working to fit your musical needs. and enjoy the musical mojo it has.

16. VJF

VJF Member

There is a tube sticky at the top of this Forum with recommendations on where to buy tubes.

Here is a link: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1197164

I've had good success with KCA NOS Tubes and Doug's Tubes. Both places will sell you current production tubes as well and I believe they also screen the new ones to make sure they are good.

Enjoy what is definitely a great amp.