late 50's martin o18

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by pnksntdead, Feb 27, 2009.

1. pnksntdead

pnksntdead Supporting Member

hi! been offered to buy one locally. any experience playing one? will i have to be careful to use lighter string guages on it? what is a fair price to pay for a clean one?
    thanks!

2. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I have not played a 50s example, but many from the 60s, and own one from 1943. I use light guage acoustic strings, same as I'd use for any guitar. But I do take the precaution of tuning to open D whenever I'm not playing. Have been doing this for years and never had a neck problem since starting that. Anyway, the O-18 has a ton of sound for a small guitar. No idea what the going rate is. They tend to be relatively undervalued against the larger models. Not sure why really. Me, I love mahogany small bodied acoustics, and this is one of the greats in that department.

3. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

I have a 1958 00-18 that is one of the nicest sounding and recording acoustics I have ever heard. I'm not sure how it differs from the 0-18 but the double 0 is also a smaller bodied, mahogany back and sides guitar. This one I have is my favorit all time acoustic.

4. pnksntdead

thanks for the input guys. i'm checking a 58
    today. i'll post picks if i end up buying it.

5. pnksntdead

She ended up to be a beauty! A 59, btw. The sound is just incomparable to newer acoustics, incredible vibe. The previous owner had it since high school in '65 and she's been played by Joan Baez back in the day too. Here are some pics.. Given a clean bill of health by a local luthier. Now I'm in a hunt for a decent case. Any suggestions? I checked few local stores and they suggested that I contact Martin directly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

Guitars always look sexier lying on a bed.:p

BTW, She's a beauty.

7. russ

russ Supporting Member

Its a beauty!

8. steelhead

steelhead Member

You got one of the best ever made! Take it over anything in production now and hope it brings years of enjoyment!

9. go7

go7 Member

Congrats! Simply beautiful. Enjoy!

10. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

That is so fine. About as simple and to the point as you can get. Love these old Martins! Good luck with it.
    MD

11. Deadduck

Deadduck Member

Great score! Looks to be in excellent condition.

12. 84Bravo

84Bravo Member

Your local stores suggested that you contact Martin directly???? Save yourself some time and money and go online to Elderly Instruments where you will find a case at a great price. http://elderly.com/accessories/items/GCEV-0.htm

Congratulations on scoring a great guitar. It's amazing how much tone and volume comes from that little box.

13. James Knox

James Knox Member

Nothing comes close to "old wood"! Beautiful axe - a true treasure - nice find...

14. pnksntdead

thanks for the kind words guys!:) she's quite loud and warm sounding, didn't know what to expect initially since i've been used to larger bodied acoustics. that's great for me cause this is probably the only old martin that fits my budget!:) i'll try elderly for a case, thanks!