Late 70's Fender Deluxe Reverb with Pull-Boost- Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mr. Crow, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Mr. Crow

Mr. Crow Member

Do the late 1970's Fender Deluxe Reverbs, with a line out on the back and a pull-boost on the volume, differ in tone much from say an early 1970's without these features added?

I was wondering if they are considered inferior to their early 70's brethren in both sonic attributes and overall construction.

I've read about late 70's Twins and Supers getting an overall wattage increase and something called an ultralinear (?) circuit added, so I was wondering how these late 70's Deluxe Reverbs fared.

Thanks

2. Mr. Crow

Mr. Crow Member

Anyone- I'm waffling on whether or not to buy one that is local. I haven't tried it yet, it's a bit of a drive.

$875 seem right, in good condition with a new Jensen speaker?

3. teleman55

teleman55 Member

They sound great. That ultralinear stuff is on the big amps, not the Deluxes. The pull boost is a cheezy overdrive that doesn't effect the sound unless you pull it. If you dom't like it either...
    A: Don't use it.
    Or
    B: Have the pot replaced with a non push/pull one.
    Before you do "B" try it. You might find it to be an oddball effect you want too use on a song or two.

4. buddyboy

buddyboy Gold Supporting Member

my 78 deluxe reverb uses the push-pull pot to engage or turn off the bright cap that DR's had. came that way when i bought it used.

5. Trowerfan

Trowerfan Member

My friend bought one in mint condition, original tubes etc. a few years ago for a grand. I thought he got ripped off until I heard it. So, I guess $875. would be about right. Later he replaced the original speaker for a Weber 12F150. I liked the tone either way. Good Luck!

6. JDJ

JDJ Member

I played one about 6 months ago, and I liked it. Pulling the switch seemed like engaging the bright switch. I can't remember if it actually had a bright switch, though. The amp sounded great to me.

7. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Yes they do differ in tone to say a '70 or '71. The construction is also different. The late '60's- early '70's still had finger joint pine cabs with the floating baffle. I believe you were still able to find some in early '72 constructed that way. The later amps still sound good, just different.

8. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

I would personally rather have a late 70's DR than a DRRI. You can always change out some of the poor quality caps there were using at that time.

The real question is how the transformers compare and I think they are very close if not the same to the early 70's amps....

9. dunara

dunara Member

Maybe this ain't your thing, but Steve Jones' sound on the original Sex Pistols records was a Les Paul (Custom or Special) through a 70s Twin turned up loud with the pull-boost engaged. :dude

10. soldersucker

soldersucker Member

As you see i really like silverface Deluxes they are all good for portable Fender tone that cuts 99% of the gig's 99% of us here do.There are contructional differences but the tone varies so much from amp to amp the nit picky stuff is largely mute but wadda i know?[​IMG]

11. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

Now that is what I call a stack :BEER

What year are those DR's?

12. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

$875 seems a little on the high side, but I guess if it's in great shape that would probably make sense. I got an early 70s one a few months back for $850, although it didn't have the original speaker (no problem, the replacement sounded better) and the tolex is in pretty bad shape in some places. They actually had a 65 BFDR sitting right next to it, so I A/Bed the two and was surprised to find that I liked the sound of the SFDR much better, probably due to the speaker and the fact that I'm reasonably confident they clipped the bright cap on the BFDR. Got the amp home and compared it to a 68 drip edge SFDR that a friend of mine was lending me, and it blew that one away too. Just an incredible sounding amp.

13. paaes335

paaes335 Member

I used a friend's DR with the pull boost on the volume control recently. It's a late 70's with bf cosmetics.
    I used his JD tele through it and thought it had all the classic DR sounds including great reverb.
    I've owned 2 mid 60's bf DR's and a sf DR in the past.
    My friend's amp sounds as good to my ears as any of the ones I had.
    The pull boost on his gives a slight volume increase with more mids.