Late '80s BC Rich Warlock pots question....

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by woad_yurt, Feb 26, 2012.

1. woad_yurt

woad_yurt Member

I have a late '80s Korean Platinum Warlock and I need both volume & tone pots. Can anyone here tell me which ones are in there, spec-wise? Are they long or short? 250s or 500s? I know nothing about this; I'd like as direct a replacement as possible. Thanks.

PS The volume pot's shaft came out in my hand today. Now I can't get a peep out of the thing. Sigh....

2. fumbler

fumbler Member

I'm not a B.C. Rich expert by any stretch but my edumacated guess is that a 2HB guitar like that would almost certainly have 500k pots.

As for shaft length: you have the guitar in your hands and it doesn't work. Open it up and take a look and you'll have your answer. Plus you'll also need to know whether to get split shaft pots (for press-on knobs) or solid shaft pots (for set-screw knobs).

3. woad_yurt

woad_yurt Member

The tone pot isn't original and has a giant knob on it so I can't go by that one. The volume pot's threaded part is about 5/16" long and the shaft sticks out about 1/4" and it's a split shaft. How long is a long or short shaft, measurement-wise?

Are all long shafts the same length? How about short shafts? Are they all wired the same way?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  4. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

My c. 1988 Platinum Warlock had two 250K audio pots. They looked like regular size to me.

5. fumbler

fumbler Member

That's a short-shaft pot. Here's a photo (from Stewmac) of a short split-shaft, short solid-shaft and long split shaft.
    [​IMG]
    Good quality CTS pots would be an improvement over the import pots it came with. DiMarzio pots would be even better. You will (most likely) need to drill/ream the holes slightly larger to fit these pots. Now is also a good time to get a new set of matching knobs (and make sure you get the appropriate split vs. solid shaft pots for them.)

That's a little surprising. Did it sound muddy? I'd still go with 500k pots for a 2HB guitar.

6. woad_yurt

woad_yurt Member

I called BC Rich, left a message, and got a call back in 45 minutes. The guy said that the tone control is 250 and the volume, 500. And, yes, they're short-shafted. I went to the local music store this morning, got them, and I'm back in business now.

I love that guitar, how it sounds and how it plays. I just wish it had a more traditional look to it. But, if I need to choose between function or form, I'll always pick function. I like how the knobs are slightly behind the bridge. They don't interfere. I have a Yamaha SC300T that I love but the volume knob is right in the way when I use the heel of my hand to dampen the strings.

Thanks for your help, folks.