Late 80's early 90's switching systems?

claxor

Guys,

In the late 80's and early 90's, were there any more affordable rack switching systems than the Rocktron Bradshaw Switching System RSB-18? A "poor man's Bradshaw switcher", if you will?

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
Roland FC100 and ADA MPC, ART had a couple too IIRC.

guitarbilly74

Silver Supporting Member
What affordable midi controller was available then?
The Rocktron Midimate, like the poster above said.

Patchmate: switcher
Midimate: controller

Digital Audio Corp also had the GCX system and Ground Control setup (now updated and made by Voodoo Lab).

As for affordable MIDI controllers, there were a bunch, Rolls, ART, Roland, Yamaha, ADA, Rocktron, Rockman, Peavey all had MIDI footcontrollers available in the 80's and 90's.

I still use a Rolls MIDI Buddy, which is a great footcontroller for patch changes only. Small, great layout and bullet proof.

mentoneman

My first switching rig was a rolls patchworks and a dmx ground control. sold the rolls to my roommate and upgraded to patchmate.

If you want to see some crazy routing schematics take a peek at the original patchmate manual and the rocktron rack interface manual.

Rocktron used stereo TRS jacks in these devices to maximize functionality in a 1U rack device, and keeping track of L/R cable orientation when using y-cables can be very challenging while rigging and troubleshooting around the back of a cramped dark rack!

francorossi

I can remember some stuff from German company Kitty Hawk......Patch bayette comes to mind. Was in the early 90-ies. Not too expensive at all. They also had a floor control unit custom made for Scorpions for their tour back in the day with an extra large display......consisting of TWO LARGE DIGITS, saw it at the Valley Arts shop in Cologne....... ........was state of the art then.......those fancy displays from today were still SciFi

Trending Topics