Late blooming rocker?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by doc, Feb 11, 2012.

1. doc

doc Member

Just a stupid thought. Eventually I'll have enough of my all consuming job and let it go. I've taken delayed gratification to extremes - I never did the partying and rockin' out some of my peers did. How about my starting a second career as an off the chain hard partyin' rock star at 60 plus? I think if I took about 2 - 3 years working as hard at my music skills as I have at my job I could be pretty da*n good - assuming I can still hear well enough by then. I also will likely have the resources to fund my publicity, recording, etc. with no problem.

Pretty retarded thought huh. Why the he*l am I buying guitars and amps?

2. Jezmund

Jezmund Member

I support this idea.

3. Staticbuster

Staticbuster Member

Tons of people do it without taking the 2-3 years to work on their musical skills. I say go for it, you only live once! And when your tour makes it out this way, gimme a buzz, we'll hoist a few! :beer

4. doc

doc Member

Thanks for the support!

I have no illusions about actually making any significant income playing music, but just thinking about the idea of putting something together, playing regionally in small to medium venues, coming out with some original music that I like, and doing something very different from what I do now makes my current life of "quiet desperation" seem a little easier to take, whether I actually do anything about it or not.

I currently do play out sporadically in a little cover band, but I'm always frustrated at not having the time and energy to really make much progress musically.

5. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Nothing ventured,...

6. flightdoc

flightdoc Member

Im trying that very thing my friend. In some ways its probably the stupidest thing Ive ever done. Like you (probably just like you), I spent 25 years playing on the side, trying the best I could while working more than a full time job and raising a family. But I cant stand it anymore, and want to up the ante. I know that only my family will be forced to listen to my tunes, and only my friends will show up to the club, but like John Lee Hooker said, "The boogie is in him, and it got to come out!"
    Some very positive side effects are that Ive met some very cool people to work with, my college age kids think Im the coolest dad ever, and all these guitar and amps Ive beeen collecting for decades will finally be immortalized forever, if only in my own mind. And face it, it beats mowing the lawn or watching more tv. Hell, anyone can do that. Give it your best shot, keep expectations low, and mostly, just enjoy the music and the creative process. Making money and getting famous are not on the list.

7. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas Member

DO IT!

I did the same at 30 (after having taken a 9-year stupid hiatus from live performance), and it's proved to be probably the best decision of my life

8. JohnnyGtar

JohnnyGtar Member

9. Eskimo_Joe

Eskimo_Joe Rocker, roller, way out of controller Supporting Member

10. Ulysses

Ulysses Member

Only problem is you'll be hard partyin' alone... "rock stars" don't have guitars any more.... if you want to go that route that you'll need a turntable, laptop, and a mic.

11. uitar99

uitar99 Member

Man-find a group of other late 50's/early 60's folks who want to rock out and start jamming.

There are a **** load of late 50's/early 60's folks who like hearing you playing crossroads. Its their music.

Nothing better than playing a friday or saturday night gig to friends, family and other boomers and hearing how great a time they had.

We are even moving 2 or 3 cd's a night and then signing autographs. How stupid is that.

Granny groupies. LOL

Let the turntable crowd play to the turn table crowd.