Late intro from SF Bay Area

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by rosscoep, Jan 11, 2008.

1. rosscoep

rosscoep Member

Hey all, I've been here for a little bit now and have yet to introduced myself.
    I grew up in San Diego and have lived in the Bay area for since '91. I like all music: Abba to Zappa. I play guitar, bass, and a little keys and drums and know a little about Recording/engineering. Been doing it on a Mac for about 10 years. I've been playing guitar since about 1985, seriously since 94. I studied Jazz at Sonoma State University with Mel Graves. I'm not a good Jazz player but learned a bunch through the study. Also lessons from Randy Vincent. Grew up on rock. Love outside Jazz/avant garde/experimental. My two favorite players are Bill Frisell and Marc Ribot. Favorite singer/ songwriter/all-around genius=Tom Waits. Love Coltrane, Dolphy, Steve Lacey, Beefheart, Sonny Sharrock/ Derek Bailey, almost anything Bill Laswell touches. Have a pretty open mind about most music but really have a hard time diggin' some of the shiny new Country. First Concert was Rush in 1979. Been to many shows. Stopped playing for a few years after a breakup of a duet that left me angry, cold and isolated. I work in mental health. I spent many years imbibing psychotropic substances. Clean for awhile now. I'm gonna study electronics a bit this semester so I can make an amp without killing myself. I've been struck by lightning so I have a very healthy respect for the juice.

I think sometimes we have the tendency argue about intangible and esoteric stuff when it comes to gear/music but I love nice gear anyway. I'm afraid of Guitar Center and love craftsmanship. I think a great deal of tone comes from the fingers and the heart and practice. Nuff said.

I'm digging this place. I don't dig people dumping on others for their taste, or lack thereof. I'm a hypocrite and love telling people they have crap taste but have learned that some people think my taste is crap. I will respect their right to be wrong. Plato said "every person you meet is fighting an uphill battle." Some wisdom there. And yes, Zeppelin does rule!

2. dougb415

dougb415 Supporting Member

Howdy (from a former Marin County resident now in Alabama)!

3. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

Welcome from another Bay Area resident and SSU alumn. I tood a few jazz classes there from Jon Hendricks, the original scat singer, back in the early '70s. I loved SSU when I was there. There was an older guy with a long grey ponytail named Art Hill who taught a class called Humanistic Music. Great class. Learned about STockhausen and experimental composers. At that time we even studied Phil Lesh who put out an album called "Seastones." I also love Tom Waits and Marc Ribot, who I saw play with T-Bone Burnett not too long ago. Tom Waits and I are neighbors. The only thing we disagree about is that i think that there are really good country players out there right now. It occurred to me that a lot of the really good rock and roll guitarists are now playing country music IMO.

Anyway, welcome. I enjoy this place too.

4. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Hello and welcome to The Gear Page!

5. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

Hi Rosscoep,

Welcome to The Gear Page!

6. rosscoep

rosscoep Member

It doesn't bother you that he used to have a consulting business in someplace called "In-Do-Neesha"?

I used to live in Forestville.

7. archtopjazz

archtopjazz Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Hi,

Welcome to TGP.

Jim

8. Stevo57

Stevo57 Supporting Member

Welcome to TGP. I'm in Benicia if your ever in the neighborhood.
    Steve

9. Ken I

Ken I Silver Supporting Member

Welcome aboard!

10. MattJohnPaul

MattJohnPaul Member