Late to the party - King Crimson

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Carltone, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Carltone

Carltone Gold Supporting Member

I picked up Red and Discipline this past weekend... Loved them both! Adrian Belew was perfect on Discipline... and Fripp plays fantastic... don't know how I missed them all these years:facepalm

What else are among your faves? Please include dvds, sideman projects, etc... I'm familiar with Bruford and have a lot of his solo stuff

2. BatChainPuller

BatChainPuller Member

The definitive record is the first, "In the Court of the Crimson King". Any KC fan will say it is essential. I've lost count of the reissues, and can't recommend a specific one. I think there is a box set with outtakes and alternate mixes that came out recently, but I don't have it.

I'm a huge fan of the '69-'75 period, and if you like Red, you will need to track down Lark's Tongues in Aspic and Starless and Bible Black. There are several live killer live releases from that lineup, including a box set called the Great Deciever.

I like Wake of Poseidon, Lizard and Islands, although those aren't usually cited as much as Court and the Lark's/Starless/Red releases.

Never got into the '80s and beyond, so can't comment on those.

3. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

I really like Starless and Bible Black, USA, B'Boom(I think that's the right name, it's live in Argentina with the 6 piece line up).

4. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

I found a neat live one used recently, Discipline line up playing in a small club, when they were still calling themselves Discipline.

5. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

As a side note, the "Neal and Jack and Me" DVD is really great - features a couple of fine performances by the '80s Fripp/Belew/Levin/Bruford line-up.

6. jb70

jb70 Supporting Member

"discipline" is my favorite KC recording. if you like that one then check out both "beat" and "three of a perfect pair"

7. jmczaja

jmczaja Member

Call me crazy but Side 1 of Lizard is my favorite KC material, followed by Lark's Tongue..

discipline got some cool stuff too!

i repeat myself when under stress

8. analogsystem

analogsystem Member

In the Court...
    Red
    Discipline

3 different eras, but my 3 favorites anyway. The subsequent follow-ups for each of those 3 are fantastic as well. I pretty much love every album up until the mid 80s.

9. chrisr777

chrisr777 Member

Is ELP a side project?

I've been a big fan of all incarnations of the band. If you can actually call them the same band from The Court to Discipline. I saw them at the Roxy in Hollywood on the Discipline tour and the only song they did from previous albums was Red. The place was just not big enough to hold them. Levin was a monster and I thought Belew was going to bounce off of the stage. All around fantastic musicianship is the hallmark of KC.

Oh, and the ticket was $12

10. aliensporebomb

aliensporebomb Member

Red
    Discipline
    In The Court
    Larks Tongues
    Starless and Bible Black
    The Power to Believe
    Etc

11. erksin

erksin Member

12. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

King Crimson is a vast universe, waiting to be explored.

All albums are different, and even recent incarnations are constantly changing and bringing in new elements and styles.

There are distinct phases:
    Phase 1: 1969-1970
    In The Court Of The Crimson King
    In The Wake Of Poseidon
    Very similar albums, but great, but ITCOTCK is one of the undisputed classics of all time.

Phase 2: 1970-1971
    Islands
    Lizard
    A transitional phase, with a heavily revolving lineup. A bit of searching going on. Lizard in particular is an awesome album, with the second side (featuring Jon Anderson) being an absolute triumph. The ending of that track points towards future KC.

Phase 3: 1972-1974
    Larks Tongues in Aspic
    Starless and Bible Black
    Red
    IMO, the best phase. Super heavy and dark, with touches of heavy metal and jazz fusion. Big grinding bass and the killer drums of Bill Bruford. All three albums are essential.

Phase 4: 1981-1984
    Discipline
    Beat
    Three Of A Perfect Pair
    A total left turn, and completely unlike anything they did before. Big, clean guitars dominate. Intense polyrhythms. Big Talking Heads influence, crossed with avant garde jazz and prog rock. Belew is really the signature of this era, with his singing and lyrics. Everybody likes Discipline, but I really enjoy Beat, "Neal And Jack And Me" being an epitome of this era, for me.

Phase 5:
    Thrak
    The Projeckts
    The Construkction of Light
    The Power To Believe

"Modern" King Crimson. Combines the 80's era with the 70's heavy metal era along with modern electronica. Thrak is unbelievable, IMO. The Projeckts are interesting.. King Crimson splintered into subgroups dedicated to improvisation in order to mix things up and generate new, innovative material. Some of the stuff is pretty far out. Then they coalesced into King Crimson again to put out Construkction of Light and Power To Believe which incorporate all the stuff they discovered with the Projekcts.

13. guitguy28

guitguy28 Member

You might also want to check out Robert Fripp's collaboration with David Sylvian "The First Day" and their live album "Damage". A lot of KC fans enjoyed this and hoped they'd do more together.

14. KHAN

KHAN Member

This may be the first time I've ever seen Fripp smile like that!

Loved the little improv licks in there. :beer

15. jamesie

jamesie Member

that´s a good description - my first kc phase was phase 3 - after that i bought all of the other stuff - for me kc is one of the most interested groups from "british invasion"

16. clintb

clintb Member

There are only about three King Crimson albums I really like, and "Red" and "Discipline" are two of them. The other one is "In the Court of the Crimson King".

King Crimson is kind of hit-and-miss with me. Sometimes I think their stuff sounds like noise. It seems like they tend to have tracks where they just totally improvise. For example, "Providence" from "Red".

In fact they have a whole album of their live improvs called "Thrakattak". If you can listen to that whole album and say you truly enjoy it, then you'll probably like anything from King Crimson.

17. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

Fripp's solo record, Exposure is also really good.

Getting a little further away from KC, but still feeling Fripp's influence is the Daryl Hall record, Sacred Songs.

Fripp produced it and plays on a couple of songs. Here is one of the songs he plays on, which appears with different vocals and title on Exposure:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  18. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Senior Member

Fripp was 'tapping' in 1971.

19. lhallam

lhallam Member

If you want your mind blown, check out "Fracture" from Starless and Bible Black - that is one gtrist. It is over dubbed but my understanding it's only doubled. Regardless, I saw a vid of Fripp playing a snippet so I know he can do it w/out dubs. It's unbelievable!

One of the most unique gtr solos of all time is "A Sailor's Tale" from Islands. That took me a few listenings before I realized what an incredible solo it is.