Late to the party - Louis CK Fox

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Anthony Gring, May 6, 2015.

1. Anthony Gring

Anthony Gring Silver Supporting Member

I recently heard a radio interview with him. It was good and gave me some insight into a guy that I knew was a comedian but never followed. So, I started watching the first season episodes of his TV show streamed on Netflix. Apparently, the show is highly rated. I think it's pretty darn good for the most part. As stated - Late to the Party...

Thoughts ?

2. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

I don't like the show. I lost interest towards the end of the 2nd season. I think he's funny though and he's very entertaining when being interviewed or doing stand up. I love him when he is on Stern.

3. aman74

aman74 Supporting Member

I think it's brilliant. Misses the mark sometimes, but I like that he takes risks. I think he even edits the show, or used to. Anyhow it really feels like a labor of love and from the heart. The best comedians have a poignant observational side, social commentary and philosophical bent and Louie has these in spades.

I haven't seen the new season and can't wait to see what he came up with.

4. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

I love that he is taking chances with the show. I think it's very real, even when it is hard to watch.

FWIW, his deal with FX is unique. He basically tried every possible way to dissuade them from doing the deal with him, maybe as a means of making sure that he'd have complete artistic control and no oversight from the network. He gives them a price to pay upfront for an entire season of episodes. His profit depends on him producing the show under that budget. He doesn't deliver the episode for them to air until 48 hours before the air time. They can decide not to air it, but they don't get a replacement episode. He produces it himself, along with doing all the writing and directing. He is involved in choosing the lenses and camera angles used. He edits it on his MacBook. It's really amazing to me.

He runs his standup tours the same way. He books the venues at an agreed-upon rate, hires a sound company, sells the tickets, promotes the shows, all of it. He keeps whatever spread there might be between net ticket revenue and his expenses. He takes the risk and keeps the rewards. No one else does it that way.

5. Anthony Gring

Anthony Gring Silver Supporting Member

Wow. I did not know any of that. Thanks for sharing.

Props to him......

6. Madsen

Madsen Member

7. Stike

Stike Member

I like the show but I can see why many would not. He even said himself last time he was on Fallon that it's not for everyone and "you probably won't like it".

8. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

that came from an epic interview with him on Marc Maron's podcast that is really interesting. Worth the listen. He's quite an unusual guy, but brilliant.

9. tone4days

tone4days Member

i think his show reveals talent and shares insight to a darkness and complexity common enough in many folks

he can be surface funny whenever he wants to be and he can be insightful with remarkable depth under the patina of 'humorous'

the recent cop episode was VERY good in light of recent events without saying a single word or even making a single silent passing reference to events

10. Betos

Betos Member

I like his "Of course... but maybe..." routine!

11. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

He also sells his specials on his website directly with zero copy-protection schemes or any other BS. You don't have to subscribe to his mailing list either. His specials cost a mere $5. Bill Burr and Jim Gaffaghan (among others, I'm sure) followed suit and do this as well. They basically pay for everything and hope that the special sells enough to make a sizable profit.

It cuts the middle-man out and enables the customer to pay $5 for the special as opposed to $20.

12. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

I personally thought the setup was tedious. But what I like about him is that he always tries different things.

It's not a bad plan to give it a go but I wasn't a fan of the result. I much prefer his usual conversationalist delivery/flow.

13. iluvfender

iluvfender Member

I liked the show when it was on HBO. The apartment and the neighbors. Good stuff

14. aman74

aman74 Supporting Member

I thought the setup was a good 24.357% of the joke. ;)

You mean Lucky Louie? Different show completely from what I've seen.

15. spyeman

spyeman Supporting Member

I like him and the show, but the last episode where his woman friend had him put on make up and she did him in the rear was a bit distasteful.

16. Jay K

Jay K Member

I like the show a lot. However, I sometimes have a problem watching it that is similar to one of my reactions to Curb Your Enthusiasm: I cringe a lot while watching some of the more uncomfortable behavior as though I am actually watching real people (rather than people in a TV show) doing some of these things. But besides that, I enjoy the show.

17. aman74

aman74 Supporting Member

^^^^Isn't that a big part of his appeal? He's so awkward it's hard to watch!

18. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

He's great. I'm a single dad with 2 kids, and in my 40s so his humor definitely hits home with me.

His show, I love the control he has over it. I love how it's not a straight punchline sitcom. Love the painfully awkward moments. But sometimes the self deprecation schtick wears thin on me. He'll stretch what would be a funny and thoughtful 5 minutes into a whole 22 minute show.

Afghanistan is one of my favorite episodes. He is great at showing how a child can be both super frustrating and super adorable in the same moment.

19. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

That's how we run our music bidness...mostly.

But we sometimes get extra over the contracted amount and a renewal to keep us. So long as the folks keep the registers ringing...

But, yeah, I heartily endorse the model...good on 'im.

20. beachbum0711

beachbum0711 Supporting Member

Yeah that show was tough to watch. His girlfriend degrades him sexually and then dumps him.